Does/did your 2-month-old make eye contact? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering. My baby is nearing 3 months old and doesn't look into our faces when sitting in our laps. He will look directly into our faces when we are standing at a distance, but not when we're close-up. He does smile at appropriate times and has even laughed already, so he's interacting with us fine, just not making eye contact. I never noticed this with my other two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My dd definitely made eye contact by then.

Do you suppose he might be a little farsighted, so it's difficult to see you up close?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM

mine looks at faces when being held. not 100% of the time tho, theres alot to try and see in the world!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's like he's deliberately looking away from us. He'll be looking off to one side, and I'll put my face in front of his (this is while holding him), and he'll move his head so that he's looking the OTHER way, never making eye contact with me. This is only while we're holding him, though. When he's on the floor or in a bouncy seat or whatever, he'll look directly into my face and grin at me.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM

elu kinda does the same thing. he only makes eye contact sometimes while were holding him, but he does it all the time when were a little farther a way, like when hes laying on the bed and we sit next to him, or if he sits facing us propped up by knees.

i think its just easier for him to see us when we back up a little.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM

sage does the same thing, lindsay. i figure it's her way of telling us to back off a bit.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Mine made eye contact right after she was born and still stares intently at us now.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 PM

My DS is similar to your baby. He doesn't make eye contact that often if he's on our laps. He likes to look around.

When he is lying down or playing with us, in the bath, any OTHER time, he will engage with us, just not when he's on our laps!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM

I think some babies can feel a little overwhelmed by eye contact. As infants, both of my girls would make eye contact for only a brief period before looking away. My almost 10 month old is better at making eye contact now, but if I try to hold her gaze for too long, she always smiles and looks away or hides her face.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 PM

DS was making eye contact very early. His ped was pleasantly surprised to see how interactive he was at two weeks... so I have never really thought of it as a milestone. I don't even know what age it's "normal."
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM

My ds is making eye contact. He actually contorts his body at times to meet our eyes... (5wks old)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

I am glad you posted this. My daughter sounds similar to some of the posters. She will engage if we are a little further away but not on my lap. My first child stared at me from the moment she was born pretty much all the time, nursing, sitting in my lap, ect..
I asked our doc. at her two month appt. but she said not to worry about it because my dd was tracking fine and that some kids eyes are slower to develop. She also said they could check her eyes after our next appt. but that 2 months wasn't a good time to do that.
It seems like from the other posters that maybe this is not as uncommon as I thought.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 PM

my babe appears to do this when it is too much.... she often can look at us when we are further away because it seems less stimulating. She has gotten better at looking as she has gotten older, but def uses it to tell us enough.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 PM

My little guy does this when he's a bit overstimulated. I think that making eye contact is really stimulating for babies.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 PM

I hear others saying that babies get overstimulated, but I do think it is normal to seek out and want eye contact with parents. My ds was like Lindsay's though--he didn't really make eye contact for several months. In the beginning he was very sleepy, so I attributed it to that. Then we noticed one of his eyes turned in and I attributed it to that, so we took him to a ped. ophthalmologist. But he outgrew it by 3 months and the lack of eye contact persisted.

Around 4 months he'd start looking into our eyes but there was never that intent gaze you hear about. He would also turn his head side to side to avoid our gaze. He NEVER made eye contact while nursing, and he nursed for two years. Even now he is very sensitive about a lot of things. I have had him evaluated a couple of times and everyone has concluded that he is a typical kid. He also smiled, laughed, babbled, and talked "on time." And he enjoys pretend play, is loving toward us (on his own terms), and is starting to play well with other kids (he is 4).

I think the smiling and laughing are great signs that all is well but of course as with any baby keep an eye on milestones like babbling, pointing, etc.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 AM

SOmetimes my four year old doesn't make eye contact . DS will look directly at me on his own but not consistantly.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Most babes this age would rather seek out contrast colors. My son is three months old and though he does FINALLY (this past week) make steady eye contact with me he also often would rather look at my hairline as my hair is dark or behind me at a picture on a white wall. He is more intrigued by colors and shapes. I always noticed that with my other boys too though it did not take them quite as long to look at ME. I would not worry as long as you notice some socialization skills and keep in miond every baby is different. It is easy to worry as a mom! HTH!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Kiddo will look at faces while she's eating, otherwise there is way to much going on to look at me for very long.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM

dd did this same thing for a few weeks at around that age. she would look right at us and coo if we were a few feet away, but up close she would look away. just when i was starting to get worried about it, she started making close eye contact again. in retrospect i think that it sometimes could be because their vision is changing so much at that time and it might have been easier for her to see us at a bit of a distance.

now at 2 years old, she comes right up to my face and looks right in my eyes.

like this.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 PM

Yeah my DS looks directly at us as well. Wear a white shirt or anything contrasting to get some attention perhaps.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 PM

My DD is another one who was making eye contact shortly after birth. That being said, now (at 9 weeks) there are times she seems to prefer to look around rather than directly at us. She does still make eye contact though. I think every baby is different though, and I haven't looked at any development charts so I have no idea what's "normal". Personally I think every baby doing his/her own thing at his/her own time is more "normal". My niece didn't walk until almost 19 mo and the peds were worried. But she never did the one tentative step at a time thing. She just started running around one day. Maybe she was practicing behind her parent's backs.

I think if he is showing social skills otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Sounds like he's either more interested in the world around him or maybe just can't focus up close right now.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010

User Tag List