Tell me about your diaper bag - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-26-2003, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I'm kinda "in to" buying a new diaper bag because it is also my purse...I don't see the point in carrying both even though my friends all do but they are weird

Right now I have a backpack bag. It is actually a red one that is a purse from target.

I want another backpack one since I think it'll be easier to handle with 2 kids.
I had just an over the shoulder one. A black Avent microfiber one but dh broke it I want a black one...not big into teddy bears or rainbos
What is yours like?

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 11 Old 07-26-2003, 05:55 PM

I just bought a regular backpack at the drugstore on sale for $8.50. Haven't transferred my stuff over to it. Right now, what I'm using is crap -- a backpack diaperbag from amazon.com, and it's not big enough to use as both a purse and a diaper bag, which was the whole reason I bought it. I have looked at other backpack style diaper bags, and haven't liked any of them (well, there's an Eagle Creek model that I loved, but it's really expensive). So I'm hoping the backpack will do. I am curious to see what other moms are using.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 11 Old 07-26-2003, 11:17 PM

Not a back pack, but...

I use a courier bag that was my "briefcase" when I worked full time, pre-baby. It is black and grey with a long over the shoulder strap and a handle on top as well. It has a large inner pocket with 3 small pockets and one thin one across the back that velcros shut. It also has a pocket across the back and one across the front. The flap that comes down and closes goes over the inner pocket and front pocket. It has clips and velcro to close it.

I keep diaper and spare clothes in the big pocket, plastic bags (for dirty dipes), covers, and cloth wipes each in one of the small pockets, and toys, food, my stuff, etc. get shoved in the front or the back.

I'm pretty happy with it, considering it wasn't designed to be diaper bag, and I didnt' buy it planning for it to be a diaper bag.

#4 of 11 Old 07-26-2003, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like an awesome diaper bag!

I want something that is easy to use that doesn't get in the way. I didn't have lck with a regular backpack. it has the same problem that my current bag has; not enough pockets so everything ends up in a heap in the bottom of the bag.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#5 of 11 Old 07-28-2003, 05:51 AM

my son was born thursday and i got this backpack as a gift off my registry. hated to suport babycenter, but great bag!

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...backpacks/3483
#6 of 11 Old 07-28-2003, 01:48 PM

Lands End has a great diaper back-pack in black (well, they have other colors too, I just like black because then either me or my husband can wear it without feeling "weird"). My only complaint is that its a little large when fully packed. But I do pack it really full because I have a 3 1/2 YO and a 5 month old.

It has a pull-out changing pad in the back in a flat pocket (where I also stash a coloring book and crayons), 3 pockets of graduating sizes and a bottom pocket. I use the smallest pocket for my stuff -- wallet, cell phone, address book. The next size is for snacks for my older child and an insulated bottle bag for my baby (I always carry breast milk because we hate nursing in public), and a bottle of water for me. The largest pocket holds a first aid kit (my kid is always hurting himself somehow), diapering stuff, cloths for the baby, cloths for the older kid (lots of potty acidents), a small blanket, spit-up cloth and a couple of toys. The bottem pocket I use for icky cloths (in a plastic bag). So, its huge but it holds everything i need for a full day out with both kids!
#7 of 11 Old 07-28-2003, 02:27 PM

Always keep a diaper bag in the car but never carry one with me. Its a nice deep wine color and not at all babyish. Its rather large and carries spare clothes plus diapers.

I also have a nice black small briefcase that can hold a changing pad plus diapers and wipes and carry purse items. I use that when when my baby is a baby and is more likely to have a blow out.

I detest public diaper changing stations so all all changes are done in our car thus no need to carry it around with me.
#8 of 11 Old 07-28-2003, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by momto l&a
Always keep a diaper bag in the car but never carry one with me. . .

I detest public diaper changing stations so all all changes are done in our car thus no need to carry it around with me.
I totally agree. I keep one huge bag in the car with everything plus some more. I carry a little backpack which is actually a Gap Kids backpack but I picked it up b/c it is too cute! I use it for my personal items plus, a few toys, hand sanitizer, and a blanket for public BFing which I end up doing everywhere.

I think as Elizabeth gets older I'm going to get a bigger backpack with more pockets like the ones described above. Lack of pockets is a definite drawback with my little bag, especially when my cell phone is ringing.
#9 of 11 Old 07-29-2003, 03:34 PM

It's a dark denim, that way dh is ok with carrying it. It has LOTS of pockets. 6 on the otheside, in there I store toys for the kids, and drinks, water, etc. Inside there are 2 zipper pockets, one I store my wallet, etc. the other is for first aid stuff, diaper cream, a pack of crayons. There are also elastic tabs to hold cups or bottles. I lay my diapers at the bottom, the change pad on the side and have left over pocets for changes of clothes, dirty duds bag, etc. It's now 6 years old and about to be used for another child. As this is the last pregnancy, it's likely it then becomes an over night bag for the kids. It's big, but not huge, it's washable, has an adjustable should strap as well as hand straps.

OH, i added a velcro clusure tab inside, some diaperbags have them to keep track of a soother(yuck), I use mine for my keys I never have to look hard for them.
#10 of 11 Old 07-29-2003, 05:56 PM

I also have a Lands End...the backpack version. Mine was a gift and is in army green...love it. plenty of room for everything and it seves as my purse as well. Nice padded shoulder straps too!!!!!
#11 of 11 Old 07-29-2003, 06:11 PM

I got kind of excited when I saw this thread... mine serves multiple purposes too--my purse, my work bag (carries files) AND my diaper bag. And I just got a new one at Target for $16. It's not pretty--orange and silver-grey (navy was my other choice and I am not a fan of navy; I prefer orange). It's my second messenger-style bag. It has a big main compartment without pockets, and then a smaller pocket in front and two zipped pockets on the sides--plus slots for pens, glasses, lip balm, etc.

Considering that "usual" items to be found in my bag are a tiny bottle of bug spray (homemade), a Swiss Army knife, and plastic bags for dirty things, this bag handles it all very well. But it is pretty big. Like a school bag.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page