baby's yeast infection?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-27-2003, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 4 month old daughter has a really red and irritated vagina. When I was wiping her the other day, there were even two drops of blood. Every couple of days I notice little white stuff, too, like tiny grains of something. I have been putting a little Waleda on it, just in case it might help, and I don't know if the white stuff might be residue from that, or if it's yeast. or something else. What does yeast look like? I've never had it.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.
#2 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 01:29 AM

I don't have any experience with this but was wondering if your dd is better?
#4 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 03:03 PM

Have either of you had antibiotics recently?

What kinds of wipes and diapers do you use?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 06:40 PM

Sounds like yeast to me. I have one little girl that is terrible prone to yeast, something as simple as going out of town and different water is enough to irritate her. Most diaper rashes are yeast based.

We use an over the counter cream med likt monistat or equivalent, it sooths instantly and clears within a couple days.

I know it' ssystemic and we need to change our diet(did I mention i'm prone too), and my other daughter doesn't seem to get htem.

We used to bring her the the Dr. but since I've brought her so frequently the Dr has said you know how and what to do, just get it done.

Hope she feels better.
#6 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, well, the doctor didn't think it was anything to worry about; perhaps leftover hormones, even at 4 months, or more likely, she just scratched herself. Anyhoo, she looks okay now.

Thanks!
Melissa, First-time worry-warted mama!
#7 of 9 Old 07-29-2003, 12:04 AM

when my oldest was a baby he got yeast infection once.

dr said NOT TO USE baby powder with CORNSTARCH and/or not to use cornstarch at all

he told me the yeasts eat the cornstarch and make it worse

FYI, not sure if that helped or not

it was the OPPOSITE advice i got from my parents, who said to put cornstarch on diaper rash, but yeast is a little different than diaper rash, though look similar sometimes.
#8 of 9 Old 07-29-2003, 12:34 AM

so glad your dd is doing better.
#9 of 9 Old 07-29-2003, 06:44 PM

In case either Katie does turn out to have yeast, or another mama looks at this thread for info, I thought I'd share what I know:

My dd & I learned about this the hard way. Several yeast diaper rashes.

- Worse with disposables, rarely ever with cloth. (I've heard that 'normal' diaper rash is more common with cloth, yeast more common in sposies. We stopped the occasional sposie for that reason, since dd is prone.)

-Thrives on water. Therefore we just blotted dry w/tissue or dry washcloth for wet diaper changes, and for poopies we used a cotton ball or soft cloth with only baby oil, no water. (Sounds weird but that's what ped. recommended, lol). Also did minimum baths and frequent changes during breakouts.

-Thrives on sugar. Ideally I would've taken all sugar possible from my diet as she was exclusively bf. But I was weak. Probably would've helped.

-When bad we did use Lotrimin, over-the-counter, tho for us was free w/prescription so we got one. Had to use for 3 weeks or something. Cleared it up right away.
I'm sure there are more natural/homeopathic remedies as well, we just have a regular ped though so that's what he gave us, & it worked.

Just thought I'd share.

mamabutterfly

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page