How bad are eggs? Cheese? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-27-2003, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 9 mos. old snuck some omelette from my todder this am and absolutely loved it. So, how bad are eggs for those under 1 year?

How about cheese? I know dairy is a nono, but is that mainly just milk?

TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 07-27-2003, 07:56 PM

Egg yolks are okay from about 9mos. and up, but the egg whites are a 'no-no' because they are a potiential allergen. You could always scrambled up an egg yolk for your baby.
Some dairy before 1yr. is okay, just not milk. Starting at about 8-9mos. it's fine to offer small amounts of yogurt, cottage cheese, and regular cheese to baby say a few times a week or so. Unless you have a family history of allergies or baby has any allergies, then you'd be best off waiting until 12mos. hth.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#3 of 4 Old 07-27-2003, 08:34 PM

My dd began eayting scrambled (soft) eggs when her hand "mouth" cooridination could get them there. My ds started eating yogurt at 5 months (This is when I beban him on solids due to his readiness...grabbing the spoon from my hand and constantly watching me eat with his mouth open, etc.). I eat yogurt daily because it is good for those who have had cervical cancer. He eats a good bit of my yogurt!
#4 of 4 Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 AM

I work for WIC and see a lot of kids with allergies. Giving foods like eggs and dairy this early could potentially cause allergies to them. Even if he's not having allergic reactions now doesn't meant that he won't develop an allergy if he keeps getting it at this early stage. I would recommend you wait until 12 months on both.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page