groaning and grimacing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-27-2003, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds3 is 6 weeks tomorrow!

my thread is not about that though it's about groaning - he spends a lot of time groaning, esp afetr a good bf session

OK i have figured out that he really needs burping, upright over my shoulder with a good backrub, unlike my other two who ddidn't care if they were "burped" or not

but even after doing a few huge burps he often goes on groaning and grimacing for ages

sometimes it's related to nappy-filling but not often, and when it is, his poo is just beautiful bf baby poo, mustard coloured curds, and sweet smelling, no nasty stuff

last night he was wide awake for over an hour from 4 am groaning and thrashing around, before and after bf - he was clearly hungry and gulped down his feed vigorously, then came off, had a few burps and groaned and thrashed till i was desperate wondering what on earth is bothering him

insight anyone?
#2 of 9 Old 07-27-2003, 11:22 PM

My dd is 4 weeks old, and has been a grunter from birth. She's almost exactly the way you describe, espcially in the wee hours of the morning. She's in bed with us, and she'll start grunting and wiggling, and since I'm half asleep, I think she's hungry, but she hardly ever nurses- she's still completely asleep. It baffles me, : but at least now i know I'm not the only one!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#3 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 10:44 AM

I know when ds was that age he would often grimace, grunt, and wiggle pre poopy for hours and once or twice for a whole day. i think when they're that young they seem to really have to work at goin poop.
hth
#4 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 11:14 PM

Atley does that too!! No insight; just sympathy .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#5 of 9 Old 07-28-2003, 11:58 PM

My 3 month old ds does this. My sister suggested that I reduce the amount of milk I drink. It seems to help. He is still very vocal, but not quite as much in the wee hours of the morning.
#6 of 9 Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 AM

Yea, kinda sounds like a *mild* : cow milk intolerance. Ian did the same thing for the first couple months. I was able to cut out all the obvious milk products for a while (I didn't start reading labels or anything, though). Around 2 months *most* babies' digestive systems mature sufficiently to allow for more milk products.

Good luck! If this continues, try posting over on bfing getting started & overcoming difficulties.
#7 of 9 Old 07-29-2003, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

i was thinking along food lines - in denial though... i'll think about less dairy but i'm really loving my oatmeal for breakfast
#8 of 9 Old 07-29-2003, 10:45 PM

I noticed Atley was worse (like he didn't sleep AT ALL and groaned and grunted all night) when I've eaten ice cream, so I've really been watching my dairy intake, but I'm not much of a dairy person anyway. He's still grunting and groaning a lot. Could it be because I haven't eliminated hard cheeses (just about the only dairy I eat regularly)?

TIA!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 9 Old 07-30-2003, 02:23 AM

My baby does this but since we're EC-ing I think of it as a good thing - it's a clear cue that he's going to poop. I eat hardly any dairy at all, just milk in my coffee.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page