Infant panic attacks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS turned 3 weeks yesterday, and is going through a phase where he'll be sitting quietly, not hungry or anything, in his bouncer or in someone's lap, and will suddenly reach his hands out, shriek as if in panic/fear, then hyperventilate with his heart racing for a few seconds. Afterward he stiffens his neck and arms and won't unstiffen them for a minute or two, while fixating his gaze at a light or other stimulus and looking terrified. He calms down if held, but will not let go of the stiffness.

Anyone else's baby had this?? He only does it 2-3 times a day but it is really scary and I'm hoping there's nothing wrong. He is not convulsing or showing signs of seizure. This is new since last night.
#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

noone??
#3 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 PM

My daughter had a really strong startle reflex, and she used to shreik like this. I don't remember when it set in. It wouldn't hurt to call your pediatrician just to be sure.
#4 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 AM

dd did something similar, but usually it seemed like a startle reflex or when she felt insecure physically, like when i set her on the rocker to put on the sling and it moved, she stiffened and waved her arms and shrieked. but it sounds like your lo does it randomly. maybe your lo feels insecure being in the chair and needs to be on you?
oops, went back and re-read. if lo's on someone's lap is he facing out? this happened more to dd when she was facing out, which incidentally was usually how she wanted to be held.
#5 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove2007 View Post
DS turned 3 weeks yesterday, and is going through a phase where he'll be sitting quietly, not hungry or anything, in his bouncer or in someone's lap, and will suddenly reach his hands out, shriek as if in panic/fear, then hyperventilate with his heart racing for a few seconds. Afterward he stiffens his neck and arms and won't unstiffen them for a minute or two, while fixating his gaze at a light or other stimulus and looking terrified. He calms down if held, but will not let go of the stiffness.

Anyone else's baby had this?? He only does it 2-3 times a day but it is really scary and I'm hoping there's nothing wrong. He is not convulsing or showing signs of seizure. This is new since last night.
Well startling at this age is normal, but I would get it checked out just to be sure.
#6 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

He isn't doing it anymore. Oh well, must have been a 2-day thing. I'm not going to call the dr unless it continues, since we all know how dr's can be about these things (he's allergic to my milk, he needs meds, etc).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page