Help! I can't get my 8 month old to eat anything other than cheerio's! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting so frustrated.. My daughter who is 8 months old, used to love the baby food I make her. However once she mastered the pincher grasp she won't have anything to do with baby food, yogurt anything. If I try to spoon feed her she starts sobbing. I try giving her a spoon and then when I try to offer food again she clamps her mouth shut. All she wants to eat are things like cheerio's and wafers. I cut up small pieces of banana's the other day and she wouldn't have anything to do with them. When I tried to put one in her mouth, she sobbed. I got an idea from a website to put crushed graham cracker on banana to see if she'd like it.. and she still didn't want it.

Should I worry? I'm getting really frustrated.. I don't like giving her cheerios all the time. But she won't touch anything else I give her other than junk. When she starts sobbing I feel like the worst mommy in the world! Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 AM

Stop stressing. She doesn't *need* the solids. Just keep nursing and offer her a variety of foods she can self-feed. She doesn't need purees.

-Angela
#3 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 AM

I agree with alegna. If she is bf'ing, then she is getting what she needs nutritionally. Sounds like she wants to be in control of what she's eating. One suggestion might be to offer her those dehydrated fruit/veggie pieces- I think called "Just ____" (blueberries, mangoes, peas, etc.) They are crunchy like cherrios.
My lo barely eats anything- about 5 cheerios a day and about 2 tsps of food every couple days. No need to worry.
And not to make you feel bad at all, but if she is sobbing over it then I would back way off otherwise she may develop aversions.
#4 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 03:03 AM

Try not to worry, at 8 months she doesn't need any solid foods. It's great that she can feed herself the cherrios, you can definitely skip "baby" food and spoon feeding all together for that matter until she can do it on her own.

Just allow her to nurse as often as she desires, she'll be fine My third baby was over a year before he really ate much and even then it was bites here and there, nothing substantial.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 03:12 AM

My dd2 won't eat anything like bananas or anything pureed. She really likes rice puffs (Organic puffed rice), Oat flour teething biscuits, steamed baby carrots and just tonight enjoyed some green beans. All of these things I have given her are organic and totally healthy. Another thing you can try is toast. I use to get a great oat flour, honey free bread at my health food store when dd1 was a baby. I plan to get some for dd2 next shopping trip.

Hope that helps!

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#6 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKilgore View Post
One suggestion might be to offer her those dehydrated fruit/veggie pieces- I think called "Just ____" (blueberries, mangoes, peas, etc.) They are crunchy like cherrios.
I looked those up on the internet and all I could find is something called that for birds.. is that what you meant? I don't know about feeding her something for birds. Maybe I'm not finding the right thing.

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#7 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

oh wait, I found them! Thanks for the great suggestion! I could see her loving these.

#8 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 PM

my 9mos old won't eat anything if its offered in ones, so her plate consists of soft brie cheese, bananas(cinnamon,wheat germ sprinkled on top), kiwis and a piece of buttered toast. i would stop feeding her the baby junk food snacks. if she isn't getting cheerios than she will no longer want them. i offer puff wheat as a snack at snack time.
#9 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 PM

you can make your own "rice crispies" and make them out of good rice. They are fun to play with/eat at that age/stage and not all processed and icky. Try diced veggies/fruits/meats as well. Your milk is the nutrition- all the rest is for fun and play.
#10 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Stop stressing. She doesn't *need* the solids. Just keep nursing and offer her a variety of foods she can self-feed. She doesn't need purees.

-Angela
: DD didn't eat solid food until she was AT LEAST 12 months other than an occasional cheerio and the cheerios were sparodic at best. She is fine now and eats like a normal person. Although some days I have to force her to eat a vegetable but no worse than any other kid.
#11 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Oatie O's and veggie puffs here too. But boy does that little man love tomatoes! Pear tomatoes, tomato slices, cherry tomatoes, yellow ones, red ones, he doesn't care, sucks the juice right out of them. Try other small things, like peas. DS likes these too. And lentils. They're good. He adored avocados for a few months, but now not such a fan. They go through phases.

Oh, and spanish rice. He lvoes the stuff! The only other rice he'll take is parmesan risotto. Go figure?
#12 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM

If she can eat cheerios, maybe try beans. My ds loves beans--all sorts, any variety. He'll eat black beans, black eyed peas, zipper/lady/purple hull peas, garbanzos, lima beans, really anything I can find.

Sometimes, if I'm being lazy, I just open a can to feed him. (rinse first)
#13 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have a question.. When ya'll are introducing beans to your children do you just let them feed themselves or do you feed them? I want to introduce her to beans. But since she won't let me feed her, I didn't think I could. When ya'll do give beans, do you mix them with anything? What about lentils? They are so small, I would think it would be difficult for her to pick up.

As you can tell, I am so lost in all of this! I am wanting to raise my daughter vegetarian. Any advice, or ya'lls experience would be great. And thank you for all of the great advice ya'll have given me already! I am so thankful! I love this board

#14 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 AM

I didn't really try to feed dd at all. She'd never have anything to do with it

-Angela
#15 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenasMommy View Post
I have a question.. When ya'll are introducing beans to your children do you just let them feed themselves or do you feed them? I want to introduce her to beans. But since she won't let me feed her, I didn't think I could. When ya'll do give beans, do you mix them with anything? What about lentils? They are so small, I would think it would be difficult for her to pick up.

As you can tell, I am so lost in all of this! I am wanting to raise my daughter vegetarian. Any advice, or ya'lls experience would be great. And thank you for all of the great advice ya'll have given me already! I am so thankful! I love this board
I didn't do anything special with the beans. We started with refried beans which she loved because they were so sticky and she got a huge thrill out of painting the world with them. Then we moved on to kidney beans and black beans. They are sticky if you don't rinse them so it makes it a tad easier to pick up. Her fine motor skills have always been excellent so it has never been a challenge for her to self feed. Haven't done lentils I don't cook them much. She loves garbanzo beans too.

To the PP about the tomatoes my DD is a tomato-holic too. She loves to walk in my mom's garden stuffing herself silly with fresh off the vine tomatoes.
#16 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
As usual, Angela is right. My dd wasn't interested in solids until she was almost a year old. She's perfectly healthy and eats just fine now.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#17 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Sounds familiar! When my daughter started to only want to eat Purely Os I took that as a sign that she was ready for more finger foods. I was right! She gets mostly soft cooked food cut up into little pieces. Here are some things my 9 mo old loves: toast, scrambled egg yolks, peas, carrots, beans, corn, pasta. I still puree fruit b/c it's too mushy for her to pick up.

Don't stress. As long she's still nursing it's fine. But she might be letting you know she wants to feed herself more/
#18 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM

My oldest DC didn't eat ANYTHING but cereal for almost 2 years. He had allergies, reflux and a very picky temperment. Don't stress... the more you worry and fuss the more DC will refuse. Let DC play and eat cereal- it won't be the end of the world. Once DC figures out how to eat real food- you will long fpr thoes BFing days!!!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#19 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia & Eva's Mama View Post
my 9mos old won't eat anything if its offered in ones, so her plate consists of soft brie cheese, bananas(cinnamon,wheat germ sprinkled on top), kiwis and a piece of buttered toast. i would stop feeding her the baby junk food snacks. if she isn't getting cheerios than she will no longer want them. i offer puff wheat as a snack at snack time.
How are Cheerios (esp if you are doing organic purely o's) junk food?
I don;t think they are great for you, but calling them Junk Food is a bit extreme...
Cheese and butter contain dairy and can be really hard on a young babes tummy.

We never gave dairy until Owen was 2...

OP-don;t worry about it. Especially if you are breastfeeding. As long as it isn't bad for her just let her eat what she wants, and keep offering lots of different stuff.
#20 of 20 Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Mama of 3 here.

3 different children, 3 different eaters. My oldest was the pickiest as a babe and continues to be very limited in what she'll eat. I wish we had introduced more to her regularly when she was under a year.

My babe (8 mos) loves Cheerios, so I give her those last. She likes being fed (mushy foods) but loves feeding herself. So, I give her a spoon thingy (it is for dipping into foods) with mushy stuff on it . . .that works. Especially garlic hummus. I put a lump on her tray, and she uses her fingers and spoon. Goes crazy for it.

ETA It's the lil' dipper http://www.gerber.com/prodcat?catid=572 that we use.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page