10 month old having night terrors/nightmares - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help! My 10 month old has been having nightmares or as the ped calls it "night terrors" for the past few months. He sleeps in our room- his crib is out of the question. I have tried all night in bed with us, which he did for awhile. I tried his pack-n-play (in our room) until the screaming begins and then he moves into our bed. He awakens around 1:00 every morning and is up on and off until around 4:30. I have tried Baby Calm, I drink chamomile tea that I'm sure he gets some of when he bf, warm bath before bed, etc. He is a very pleasant baby that rarely cries during the day. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thanks
#2 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM

aww poor thing! I know that this doesn't work for everyone.. but I thought I would suggest it anyways. Maybe instead of waiting until 1am to bring the baby into bed with you, you just go ahead and co-sleep. I know this would help the baby feel a lot more secure and safe. I know this isn't for everyone though. I hope things get better soon!

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#3 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Is he getting enough nap time during the day. Just a thought...my ds1 would sleep very fitfully if he hadn't napped well during the day or if he'd gone to bed too late. Good luck mama.

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
#4 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried cosleeping- we were cosleeping from the time he outgrew his bassinett until the terrors were becoming a problem. I thought maybe he needed his own space- just trying anything to get some sleep.... As far as naps go, he usually takes a 1-1.5 hour morning nap and a 2 hour afternoon nap. Since I have posted my question last night, he slept! Was it the power of suggestion? I don't know, but he fell asleep with me at 8:00 and slept straight through until 4:00!! We do have isolated "good" nights, so maybe the trend will continue and he will work through it. I appreciate your help- any other suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks!
#5 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Maybe its just the age? Asheby is also 10 months and was always a good sleeper, but not lately! I am definitely ready for this phase to be over, lol.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#6 of 6 Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM

nak

our ped. told me kids get them when they are overly tired. but ours were not as consistent as what you are describing. and ds was older(2-3). we would put him to bed earlier--7 was the magic number for both our boys--despite lots of criticism from others--it helped. the ped told me in extreme cases such as holidays when he was just overstim. to give him a teensy dose of benadryl (1/2 or less of usual dose) to push him over the edge. i know some people would think that is awful, but this ds always woke up stuffy anyway (my allergy kid), so I was able to justify it on such occasions. It worked great! I don't know any natural remedies for that and your babe is a lot smaller than mine. I am just offering that info FWIW.

no real suggestions, just food for thought. good luck. I know this is a tough one...it was one of the more frustrating things we have encountered as parents.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page