Can someone please explain.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2003, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and show me research that says that 100%, sugarfree fruit juice is bad for a six month old baby? I keep seeing posts abou how bad it is, but not why.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2003, 07:24 PM

I don't have any research but I can tell you what I know. Fruit juice isn't great for anybody. Even if it is made without adding sugar it still has tons of sugar in it. Fruit has sugar in it we all know that but fruit juice uses a lot of fruit to make one glass. I think I read somewhere that it takes 12 apples to make 4-6 ounces of apple juice. You wouldn't think of feeding your child 12 apples. There is no nutritional value to drinking apple, white grape, orange or any other fruit juice, it just isn't needed. If you really want to give juice then boil some peeled apples in water and give the apple water, you will find that even if you cook 6 apples at a time the apple water isn't very sweet, certainly not as sweet as juice. Breastmilk and water - that's all babe needs.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 07-29-2003, 07:38 PM

Because it's still sugar, even if it doesn't have added sugar. Plus it doesn't have the fiber found in whole fruit to help moderate the sugar's impact on the bloodstream. It's essentially empty calories, and contributes to obesity and tooth decay. It displaces breastmilk (or formula) which should still be the primary source of nutrtion and liquids. It can also cause diarrhea, especially apple juice.

See this link from Dr. Sears on childhood obesity , halfway down the page #4 under How to Trim Baby Fat.

http://www.healthychild.net/Articles/NA22Juice.html

http://www.drjaygordon.com/nutrition.../science06.htm

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myh...reutersid=1410

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 07-29-2003, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

Well I've never been one to think of juice as evil, but I can say that no juice is really sugar free. It may not have ADDED sugar, but will contain naturally occuring sugars.

Since it doesn't contain the fiber of the fruit then it is easy to drink the equivilant of more fruit than you would ever eat (i.e. a cup of apple juice may equal 3-4 apples) and therefore take in more calories than if you were eating the whole fruit.

Also most fruit juice is rather void of nutrients. Often it will contain Vitamin C, but not much else besides that naturally occuring sugar. So for a baby alot of juice may not be good because it is mainly empty calories which will satisfy hunger so that the baby is not hungry for more nutritionally dense foods.

There is also the issue of kids developing a real sweet tooth and not wanting anything else. For that reason alone I still dilute my kids' juice. So you see after all that I still don't think of juice as "bad", fine in moderation - and moderation for an infant my be a very small amount considering the small amount of food that the baby eats all day.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 PM

even the american academy of pediatrics suggests limiting juices in children. they found in many children's diets it was replacing healthy food consumption with basically empty calories. At that age, breastmilk, formula, and water on occasion are the best choice. Although I personally would give watered juice or herbal teas in a pinch, esp if for medicinal reasons.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 AM

it was learning about the tooth rotting capacity of any juice (with or without added sugar) that got me to remove it from my house except for infrequent special occasions - 6 fillings and an extraction when ds2 was 3yo
Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we consider juice a treat around here. there is no nutritional value and it is very sweet. it is also filling. Ater giving dd#1 juice all the time she refused water. and as you can imagine that was a real pain.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:34 AM

emmaline has a good point...that's on of DH's reasons for discouraging juice...from the dental perspective, it's no better than soda. And in a bottle or sippy kids sip and keep it against their teeth for long periods of the day.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Kaeleb gets some juice in a cup when I feed him dinner (he has started solid foods) and it is basically just to make him familiar with the cup...now I know that juice isn't the best thing to put in it .

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:32 PM

Well, everyone else has said all I would have said. But, I just wanted to say that I wanted to introduce the cup with solids as well and I did so, but with water. DS loves drinking water out of his cup now, although he only drinks maybe an ounce or two. And, actually he doesn't seem to care for juice. I tried to give him some apple juice when he was constipated but he wouldn't drink it.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:21 PM

Juice is also a source of safety concerns.
As an industry professional, this is my guidance...

Never feed a child under two the refrigerated pastureized juice. Only use the shelf-stable stuff. Key words are "refrigerate after opening"

As far as health, eh, it's the same as pop.

As an alternative, may I suggest herbal or decaf tea? Perhaps even lemon water?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 07-31-2003, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Apricot, I am well open to suggestions, but what kind of herbal teas can I give a 5 month old baby?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:00 AM

I've been wondering this too. Ella gets a little water with supper but sometimes when i'm drinking she wants some too. Is it ok to share a sip of, say, mothers milk tea--unsweetened of course?
Old 07-31-2003, 03:37 AM

You've gotten some really good info on juice, so I dont have much to add about that.

I am not sure if you are bfing or not or if it would even make a differance, but my dr(s) have addvised me that my ds didn't need any additional liquids in his diet at this point and he is 10 mo. That the BM and the pureed food, fruit, veggies, had more than enough water. I give my ds water in the cup at meals because like others have said, it is more about getting familiar with drinking from a cup vs nutrition. My ds still has not mastered the art of cup drinking but enjoys the chance to play with the water. He probably only manages to get a couple good sipps at best. But that bring me to my question, why give anything besides water?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:22 AM

My dd is nursed constantly, so its not like i think she really "needs" any other liquids. But she does enjoy her cup--small cup with handles and no sippy lid. I think its more about exploration really. She doesnt "need" my mothers milk tea, she just wants to know what i'm drinking, and i'd like to be able to show her
Old 07-31-2003, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Justice2
Apricot, I am well open to suggestions, but what kind of herbal teas can I give a 5 month old baby?
Boy am I an idiot. I don't know. I only really know about the taboos, not the good stuff. I have only heard of giving camomile tea to settle a very fussy baby. :

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 07-31-2003, 01:48 PM

I can understand exploring of course. My ds is very curious about everything I am eating or drinking and I let him see, touch, and taste it all. I was more curious about why we should be puting something besides water in a cup specificly for our little ones.:

User Tag List