Dd turning 1 in a couple of weeks, any good 1st birthday ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to throw her a little party but nothing too fancy and nothing longer than 1 hour but I was wondering if you had any
cute ideas about it (I know you always do!)

Christa and Kirsten (9/10/02)
#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2003, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a tradition in my family of simply recognizing that the first birthday is more about Mom and Dad than it is about baby, so a barbecue with friends and family featuring cake for baby but not overwhelmingly centered around the birthday child/festivities is what's in order. This is what my parents did, and since I was made my own small cake it was no big deal when I fell asleep in it! I plan on doing the same thing with my babe. When the baby isn't the be-all-end-all focus of attention, you can have a regular adult-lengthed party, get the cake routine w/ photo op over with right after dinner, and if babe gets tired it's no big deal. At one there's no overpowering reason why the baby has to be involved in any present-opening, either, if not up to it.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 3 Old 08-01-2003, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This probably isn't what you're looking for, but we threw a party for ourselves rather than dd. We had about 35 people over for a dinner cookout in the back yard, lasted about 4 hours, etc. There were tons of kids so we had lots of yard games, went to a field down the block for a wiffle ball game.

We hadn't had a party since buying the house 2 years ago, and welcomed the excuse to have a bunch of friends and family over. Of course, even when we have a couple of people over for lunch or dinner, they never stay for just an hour.

We sang "Happy Birthday" and people put pennies in a wishing dish with one floating candle, but other than that it was just about eating good food and having good conversations with good friends.

Happy partying, whatever you decide to do!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page