GRRRR. Stupid Ped! My baby has asthma! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10 mo old has been coughing for the last 2 months. By coughing I mean coughing all. the. time.

I took her to the ped. She said ddhad a cold and she would be fine, but to come back in 2 weeks if she was still sick. I took her back 2 weeks later cause she was still coughing. Ped said there were no signs of infection and sometimes a cough can linger. Well.........a month passed and she was still coughing, so I took her back. Ped said she has allergies and gave me a script for zyrtec. took zyrtec for a week and still coughing.

this past weekend she started coughing MORE. She sat in my lap and coughed ALL. NIGHT. sunday night. She didn't sleep she didn't nurse she jsut sat there and coughed and dozed and coughed and dozed.

I called the ped first thing monday morning. they didn't have any openings to see my baby. couldn't even work her in:, the best they could do was to see her tues afternoon. I told them NO THANK YOU. I will jsut find someone else. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I called a friend of mines ped an hour away and asked if she could see my dd. I had heard that she was really good, and my parents live close by the office., so I could sneak in a visit to them too:

APPARENTLY persistant coughing like my dd was doing is a symptom or ASTHMA! THe new ped sent us home with a nebulizer, controller meds and albuterol. She says that dd has a cold and that is making the asthma WAY WORSE. that's why we had such a rough weekend.

I feel so stupid cause I didn't know that m's coughing was asthma. I guess I thought asthma was when you had "attacks" when you cant' breathe, and you have retractions and wheeze.

We are using albuterol and a controller med now and the coughing is alot better. She still sounds awful though. her airways are all congested from the cold and she rattles so much. I feel really sorry for her.

I really don't know anything about asthma. Does anyone elses lo have asthma? Would you mind telling me about it? Symptoms? Treatment? Any websites you fing useful?

thanks for reading my novel!
#2 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just wanted to say HUGS.

Heidi
#3 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM

I know how you feel. My dd has been a cougher since she was 6 months old. I was constantly told that it was a cold, a lung infection etc....

She was referred to the allergist last year (at age 8) for a suspected penicillin allergy and low and behold guess what? She's got asthma. She could have had way better colds (instead of coughing so much she'd throw up which she used to do) and been all around healthier had we only known.

Sorry - I don't have much info on the meds for you - I have never given them to a baby with asthma. DD's main symptoms though are coughing. She has only ever had an actual attack once or twice (before she was diagnosed - I gave her my inhaler - doc still didn't think asthma . So it sounds similar to your DD's asthma as well. Her asthma is triggered by allergies, colds and cold air or drinks (she actually gets a cough attack while eating popsicles or smoothies). Perhaps you can have your DD allergy tested to see if there are certain allergens that will make her asthma worse when she is a bit older. DD's main trigger is outdoor mould.

Good luck - at least you have something to help your DD *and* a great new ped.
#4 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

yep. I do like the new ped.

She said we can do allergy tests after m turn 2 years old. I don't know why they can't be done sooner?
#5 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 PM

nak

My dh's childhood asthma was cured with acupuncture. obviously he was older than 10 mo, tho.

hth.

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#6 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM

My first son had some problems that were similar to what you're describing. We had to take him to urgent care several times because of the coughing and gasping. Once he was diagnosed with bronchiolitis. My ped told me that they can't actually diagnose asthma until the child is 3 because the respiratory system is still forming...or something like that. That's probably why they have to delay the allergy tests also.

Anyway, my son was on the nebulizer off and on for about five months. The good news is that he has grown out of the problems he was having. He also has regular chiro adjustments and I think that definitely helps. Hugs to you- it's scary when they're having breathing-related problems.
#7 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMommy View Post

She said we can do allergy tests after m turn 2 years old. I don't know why they can't be done sooner?
My allergist said the test results are not reliable in infancy.
#8 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM

I've linked to this book so many times on this forum, I hope I don't get accused of spamming. It's a really interesting book though.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Ch...283155&s=books
#9 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link for the book. I love reading about things, so I'll have to check it out!

Yea, we really are jsut trying to calm this particular bout of breathing difficulties. we will wait to see if any more crop up. We will jsut have to see how things go. this could be the only time it happens, or it could happen everytine she is sick:

just have to wait and see, I guess.
#10 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Just so you don't feel too bad about not realizing that coughing could be asthma... it's only *relatively* recently that even the medical community realized this.

When I was a teen, I often had bronchitis. Usually, after a cold my cough would linger longer than most people... and that was the extent of it. Manageable. My mom had the same thing.

In university, I got hit with it quite badly. Coughed for months, missed classes, etc. Got prescriptions for antibiotics, the whole deal.

Then I went to a new doctor, and she said, "hm, let's try you on an inhaler." Doctors were just starting to consider that recurrent chronic bronchitis could actually be a form of asthma, a "coughing" asthma rather than a "wheezing" one.

Well, the inhalers did the trick! Over the years since then, I always have had a titchy chest after a cold, but it's gotten so much better that I haven't even used an inhaler for... I think 2 years now. I think my lungs were 'damaged' from previous infections, causing the asthmatic reactions to new infections. The steroid inhalers helped to 'heal' the damage. So it's not as bad as it was.

And yes, after my experience my mom went back to her doctor and got the same diagnosis. She's also doing much better now.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#11 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Dd1 had similar issues. Winter was the worst with the extra colds and the cold air. We much prefered the nebulizer for acute/periodic symptoms over the oral meds though we did have a daily preventative med we used Sept - May. Luckily she outgrew it around ages 5-6. It does make for some awful nights. I am glad you found out now - my dd wasn't diagnosed until an acute attack. I lived in denial each summer but she was so much better with treatment there was no denying it.

eta hers was also allergy triggered and showed up after we moved to an area with more triggers for her.

edited again: sorry for the rambly nature but I am too tired to fix it.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#12 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Pretty much my whole family has asthma, so with my son I've been extra concerned to read up ... as someone said above, asthma really isn't able to be diagnosed through testing in babies, so all doctors can do is to try the meds when potential symptoms pop up and see if it helps. Don't be too down on the original pediatrician -- I mean, obviously, stick with the new one -- but because symptoms, especially in small children, can be so closely matched to typical ailments like colds it's incredibly common to be misdiagnosed or undiagnosed for a long time.

Glad the new doctor and the medication helped! I suggest reading up on potential ways to improve indoor air quality ... you don't really know what her triggers are yet, so any small bit to minimize them might help.
#13 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 03:03 AM

My 11.5 mo DD has been coughing since she started daycare in August. Every cold/virus goes leads to another cough. Perhaps WE will try acupuncture... Good luck with your LO's coughs.
#14 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 AM

I had a lot of success keeping my asthma under control with magnesium and flaxseed oil. The magnesium works as a muscle relaxant and the flaxseed inhibits inflammatory response. I very rarely use my inhaler at all now.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page