Here's what the Doctor told me today... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-01-2003, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now, I'm pretty sure I have a laid back Pediatrician -- she didn't even blink when I said (at 4 months) that we weren't going to give any more vaccines until 6 or 8 months & then it was going to be a very delayed schedule. She also (at the 4 month appt.) started the solids conversation almost as if she were going to have to talk me into waiting til 6 months.

At this appt., I'm not quite as excited, although I'm not mad or anything. Please, Mommas, give me your opinions on these things:

1. A few days ago we gave Ian a little bit of banana, he ate a spoonful or two & had maybe a little bit that he held & put in his mouth, but that was all. She said that we "should start introducing a new food about every 4-5 days, going through the vegetables and some fruits, etc." She doesn't recommend any fish before 1 year old because of mercury content (yet vaxes are okay : ). I commented that I felt no need to introduce any cereals as bfing was sufficient for nutrition, & she said the only reason she would recommend it was for the Iron. When I said that I was planning to introduce vegetables to fill that need when necessary she seemed satisfied. She also said that I should (not to start, but work up to) feeding him solids twice a day, everyday & make sure I did spoon feeding & not just let him pick things up all the time. I did state that I wasn't interested in replacing any of his meals with solids, but would, instead, be adding to his diet very gradually. She nodded at this, but that was when she made the twice a day comment..???

2. With re: to the iron thing, I commented that because he was such a small baby at birth, if he wasn't eating many/any foods with iron, I would ask for a test to be sure around 8 or 9 months. She told me that "between 9 & 12 months we HAVE to check them, so I usually do it at the 9 month checkup in any case." Have to?? Who says??

3. She said that with the introduction of solids it is okay/possibly necessary to introduce some water into the baby's diet. 6 months is also when they ask/encourage that parents begin making sure their babies get some flouride. This is either by means of water or through flouride drops. Does he actually need flouride?

4. I commented that if my ds began to associate the dr.'s office with shots & pain once he got a bit older (because of the slow schedule for vaxing) we might just start taking him to the health dept. She expressed a concern that the health dept. might refuse to give him his shots in this manner. ??

Hmm... I think that was all the questionable information... now what do ya'll think? I just don't see myself giving Ian so many foods so quickly/often -- or why it's necessary. She made me by commenting that "bfing meets ALL of a child's needs for at least the first six months of life -- always," then she said "after that, it's -- well -- it's just a good idea to start adding solids at that point." Too bad she had to add that second part...

Have any of you encountered any problems with the health dept. with regard to not following "their" schedule on vaccinating?

Any comments & suggestions are welcome.

edited to add:

I remembered the other thing that kinda bothered me -- one of the milestones they asked about was "sleeping independantly." She already had her answer to that as I had commented (when she asked how often/if he woke at night) that he was back to only waking once as we were in the process of transitioning him to a pad on the floor & then to a crib. But we're doing that cause it works for us -- not because it was hurting him to sleep with us! So what's with that?!
#2 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 02:06 AM

Well, I don't routinely take my kids to a ped, as I get too aggravated with the "I am the doctor, I know best, I will get my panties in a bunch if you question me/don't do as I say" stuff. I think every baby is different and there are no hard and fast rules for starting solids, how often, what, how much, etc. My first got solids a week before she turned six months. I started with rice cereal because I didn't know any better. I *never* spoonfed her! She was having none of that!! I'd load up a spoon and give it to her and she'd shove it in, or she'd eat with her hands. She got mostly fruits and veggies that were bland, mashed up versions of whatever I was eating. At first, she only ate if I thought about it or if it was convenient to give her some of whatever I was eating. Eventually (within about 2-3 months) she was eating with me every meal. About then she started walking so started the toddler snack/grazing routine. Also about that time she swiped my curry dish when I got up for a second and after that I didnt' worry too much about the bland factor. My new little one is almost five months and has just started having a bit of avocado every few days.

As far as the words "have to" and "won't", those get thrown around a lot in the medical profession. Most people meekly do whatever they say, so they can get away with it. No, "they" don't "have" to check for anemia. It's recommended. It's the standard of care. Can you refuse? Absolutely! She sounds easy going. Just be firm about what you want and don't want. Let the stuff about sleeping thru the night roll off your back.

Flouride is controversial. I buy non-flouride toothpaste and refuse the treatments at the dentist, but we do get it in our water, and processed foods/juices.

I don't vax my girls, but if I did I wouldn't go to the health dept. I don't think it would be worth it to mess around with them just to avoid my girls associating the doctor with shots/pain. If I take them when they are sick or need blood drawn, it is a similar experience and I just explain what is going on, why we are there, etc. I signed up for a public health card when pg with my first and that is the last time I will ever do anything related to government assistance/healthcare! They just want to stick their nose into all my business! Give me the willies!!

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#3 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 02:22 AM

Hi Kara~
my LLL leader said something very wise: "Go to your pediatricain for medical advice, not parenting advice!" It sounds like your Pedi is into how you parent: feeding, sleeping, etc. Maybe you need to set some new ground rules with her, you don;t hae to discuss your everydecision with her! BTW, I have heard that most pediatricians have no course load in child development, they don't have time in medical school!

also, acording to the American Academy of Pediatrics, bf babies nutritioinal needs are met for the 1st year, not just the 1st 6months! this is in their breast feeding publication.

best wishes, I saw my Pedi today & feel like the luckiest mama in the world! She is awesome & I just have to know what I want for my child!

Maria
#4 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, ya'll are pretty much right on with what I was thinking... I may eventually look into a more natural/homeopathic dr., but for right now I think I'll just smile & say okay to her, then do what I know is right for my lil one.

I'll have to look into that flouride stuff... And thanks for the heads up on the possible gov't trouble with re: to vaxing.

Maria; ITA with that LLL leader -- isn't it sad that pediatritions don't learn about the children they will be treating. You'd think you could at least count on them for eating habits/nutrition etc.
#5 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 03:58 PM

Cinnamon, re floride...
We just had that discussion with our (mostly helpful) ped after a nurse came in first to check our 6 mo dd and said that she would need to start getting floride drops. We checked it with the doc later and he said, no, she doesn't need drops or anything bc even tho floride's not found in breast milk, bf babies who get drops get too much somehow and get the white spots on their teeth. He said, if anything, mix in some water w/food or since we're starting her on a cup to give her a few oz of water a day and, mostly, don't worry about it. love him!

Take care and I hope you find a great ped, it's worth the search.
Peace,
Beth
#6 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 04:46 PM

W/ regards to the HD, that is where I am going to get Lacy's vacs. The first time I went it I just let them know that I will be selectively vacing, and that I only want her to have 1-2 shots each time, and that I would chose which ones. Maybe it's just the nurses here, but there wasn't a problem at all. They actually thought it was strange that I would ask "what" each shot was for. Obviously I am a concerned parent I don't like my peds office very much, but that's the only one around, so I guess I will just go when I feel it's needed, and take the advice w/ a grain of salt. Mamas are always getting unwanted advice, so just consider it as much as you consider others' advice - Take the good and leave the bad
#7 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamabeth & free thinker -- it's so nice to hear my instincts confirmed! I'll probably call the hd before I go to make sure I won't have a problem.

Ahh... now off to lurk at the vaxing board to decide which ones to start with.
#8 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Banned

I very much like all the doctors in dd's ped's practice, but one in particular I love. She is a nurse practitioner, and very warm, human, and laid back. I allowed them to test dd's iron at 9 mos because I have always been borderline anemic; when the test came back a bit low, I commented that i was surprised because dd got iron fortified cereal every day (cause she liked it for some reason, not cause of the iron ). I said, shocked, "So the cereal really doesn't do much for their iron levels, after all?" She said, "Yep, pretty much" : . Food for thought! My current ped does not try to tell me how to parent, though I haven't broached vaxing with him yet.
#9 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 06:20 PM

re: iron. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding says that iron supplementation in the first year, though largely recommended for BFed babies, is unnecessary. Any iron that baby is given (esp. in the form of cereal) is "fake" iron and hard to absorb. The stuff in the cereal is the least absorbale form of iron, but is the only one that they can get to stick to the cereal flakes, so that's why they use it. Add to that the fact that a lot of times cereal is mixed with formula or EBM (calcium), and the iron is completely useless.

Although breastmilk has less iron in it than formula, it is a much more usuable form of iron, so studies have shown that a 9-12 month old BFed baby can actually have BETTER iron levels than a formula fed baby.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#10 of 11 Old 08-02-2003, 10:43 PM

I was just reading Mothering's ask an expert and someone there answered that extra iron in solids interferes with breastmilk's iron absorption, and iron recommendations have been based on ff babies, not bf babies.

I also wonder how the human race survived all these millions of years without ped's advice...
#11 of 11 Old 08-03-2003, 03:40 PM

I wish doctors kept more up to date on nutrition and other baby issues (circumcision) that they give advice about. I had a doctor just two years ago who tried to get me to pull my sons foreskin back saying it was necessary on more than one occasion!! I feel like now that I cant be sure of anything they say bacause It may not be true!

If at all possible I am hoping to find a doctor who has some understanding of nutrition, untill then doctors are strictly for medical advice in my book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page