boogers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2003, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son who is now almost 2 months old has been getting small yet annoying boogers on a regular basis since he was a week old. Every few days I have to get them out because they block his air passage to the point where his breathing seems distressed if I dont notice it first, but now that I know I have to look for them constantly I do. Now these arent what you might be thinking, big hunks of dried snot or anything. They are very light colored and thin dried mucus shields that originate in the back end of his nostril. I am finally geting good at removing them without accidentally losing them further back in his nose.

But why is this a problem? He pees a whole lot so he cant be dehydrated can he?? I know I could use better hydration , so I guess that could have something to do with it. Maybe the AC or the fans? Hydration must have somehting to do with it.

Does anyone else get this?

shayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 02:54 AM

My DD had that too when she was your son's age. My ped said it's a common thing because the noses and air passages of newborns are small so normal mucous production can clog their noses. I remember thinking my DD had allergies or something, at first! It gets better around 3 or 4 months.

Hope that helps,
Cathy
Old 08-02-2003, 05:05 PM

My pediatrician said it was normal. My son is 6 months old and I still have to clear his nose at least every other day otherwise he won't be able to breathe. Since birth, he gets these sticky big chunks that will only come out with a q-tip. However, who invented the bulb syringe? That thing is completely useless :

Before we had the baby I didn't know one of the jobs of being a mom would be Booger Picker If we ever run out of glue I know where to go
Old 08-02-2003, 06:10 PM

My son shoots milk out his nose sometimes when he spits up, so I'm often picking dried curds out of his nose. Ewwww!

He hates the bulb syringe, and I agree its useless when the boogers are at all dry, but it really does work when a kid has a cold and has congested sinuses. I used it on a girl I nannied for 2 years, and it got so that when she was feeling clogged, she would say 'suck' and we'd go suck the snot out with the bulb!
Old 08-03-2003, 03:42 AM

Yes, the snuffy nose was the bane of our newborn period. But I actually found the bulb syringe really helpful and used it along with q-tips. I don't use the one I got from the hospital, though. We really like the one that came with our baby care kit made by First Years. It's softer and the tip is tapered and smaller than the hospital-issue one.

It took a while to figure this out, but what works best for us is to put in a drop or two of saline solution, wait a minute if possible, and make sure the syringe is snug in the nostril, otherwise there is no "vacuum" to suck out the mucus. That's why the tapered tip makes a big difference. If the mucus doesn't come out all the way, we use a q-tip. Of course, this isn't terribly comfortable for the babe, but afterwards ds always looks much better when he can breathe freely again.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:42 AM

I agree, that first years one works far and away better. I find after baths (or crying) things are looser, and use saline if totally necessary.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:27 PM

Saline solution followed by the bulb syringe worked well for us. I called our ped when ds was about two weeks, concerned about his stuffiness, and they said it's really normal in little babies. (I thought it was allergies, too.) Now he's a little older, and still has the stuffies sometimes, but it's definitely better.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:43 AM

OOPS

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 08-05-2003, 04:45 AM

I find breastmilk works really good at breaking it up before suctioning, in his nose that is.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 08-05-2003, 11:54 PM

DD (7 months) gets them. She's exclusively breastfed, and I notice a direct correlation between any dairy I eat and the size of her slugs, as we call them. You might try that.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:33 AM

stephanie, how do you use breastmilk? in a dropper? this sounds like a neat method...
Old 08-06-2003, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

i have used breastmilk too when I have had a hard time getting them out and its really dry in there, i just sqirt a little in.. it worked!

Also have used the saline once because I couldnt find the bulb and we were out of q-tips, It worked very well. I actually used it to suction... got a big one that way.

My two yr old never had this problem, he has giant nostrils!! no plugging them!! LOL so I had been a little out of booger picking practice. sometimes I have to pinch his nose to inch them forward or stick them to the side a bit to keep them from sliding back out of reach when I go in for the prize!!

Ahhhhhhhh... motherhood.

Seriously though, I have wondered if any babies have suffocated due to this? It seems easily possible if a baby was young enough to not let this freak them out in their sleep. SIDS possibility? Would it be noticed as the cause? If I wasnt really in touch with my baby I may not notice these air restricting boogers in the way back of his nose. I had to notice his breathing difficulty first and then look for them.

shayna

User Tag List