Baby with gas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you have any suggestions for a newborn with tons of gas? My ds is almost 3 weeks old and squirms and cries and screams from too much gas (and lots of burps though not bringing much up). I am considering cutting dairy from my diet (ds is bf) in case that is what is aggravating him. Is there anything I should be eating/taking to help with this? Anything else you would suggest? The little guy seems to be in such distress. The doctor does not seem at all worried.
Thanks!
#2 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Banned

Been there done that! Poor kid. Dd had terrible gas. My dh used to bend her legs up and push her knees up to her chest so that they sort of press lightly on her belly, then move her bent legs to the left then to the right. This usually released a good deal of the gas and then she'd be fine - until the next time! Oh, and I didn't eat dairy at the time, but she still had loads of gas. Immature digestive system. This too shall pass.

Edited for clarification.
#3 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 01:03 PM

If bicycling his legs/moving them to put pressure on his tummy doesn't work (we didn't have much luck with it ), there's always Mylicon. I was skeptical about giving my DD any medicine, but this (from what I have read, anyhow) is inert - just breaks up the big bubbles into smaller ones. It's not possible to overdose on it, as it passes through the system undigested.

There's a dye/flavor-free version out there if you don't like the idea of giving baby something with that stuff in.

It worked pretty well for us, so I would suggest it as a backup to what MilliesMum suggested.

Congratulations on your new little guy - I bet he's wonderful and amazing (if a little gassy, hee hee)!
#4 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Banned

Yeah, I have friends who LOVED Mylicon and swore by it. Didn't work at all for dd. I think she's medicine resistant. No medicine we've ever given her has worked - not even baby motrin for teething.
#5 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 01:33 PM

Cutting out all dairy would be a great thing to try! Check ingr. lists on processed foods for casein and whey too.

check this thread:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=71447
#6 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 08:12 PM

Amen to Mylicon!!!! We would not have survived the first two months without it. But, we always went for the generic brand...look for simethicone...it' the active ingredient in Mylicon. We get it at Target (so it's known in our household as Target Drops). DS is still very gassy (4 months), but now he seems to be able to get the gas out himself. We still sometimes give it to him if he's farting a lot and waking himself up. I think that the painful part of being gassy will pass for your little one, but he may always be gassy if you're lucky like us!!!

-Megin and Katie

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#7 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 08:19 PM

Here area couple of articles that may be helpful. DD had an awful time the first two-three months until i realized i had an over active let down.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...pOct95p71.html

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html
#8 of 18 Old 08-02-2003, 09:14 PM

NAK
I think this is what we are dealing with also. He screams & screams (very vocal guy in general) and gets SO frustrated that he can't just lay there & eat! We have been trying the Mylicon & it doesn't give the instant results my friends taked about. We give belly rubs with oil, but he keeps his legs so flexed & kicks so much the bicycling doesn't work too well. We have had a bit of success iwth the collic hold from Womanly art of bfeeding when he is just plumb exhausted! It is so worrisome, but I just beleve he'll out grow it, meantime bounce bounce bounce!
maria
#9 of 18 Old 08-03-2003, 11:20 AM

try gripe water. it was the only thing that helpped dd. go to an east indian import store. or hylands might have their version of it.
#10 of 18 Old 08-03-2003, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to try a multi-pronged approach and hope something works till he outgrows this. The article on over active let down pretty acurately describes our situation, so that was helpful. I have never even heard of gripe water, but am certainly going to look into it. The bicycle move does seem to be helping.
I think mostly I needed to know that this is just a phase! Thanks so much. I feel like a less terrible momma.
#11 of 18 Old 08-03-2003, 12:42 PM

You are DEFINETLY not a horrible mama!!! I sympathize- I too felt like that for awhile until I realized that I was not causing the discomfort, and it was just my job to try and love DD as much as I could. And it sounds like you are doing that!
It WILL pass.
#12 of 18 Old 08-03-2003, 04:00 PM

"It WILL pass"

Hooray! But as a momma with a very gassy (and reflux-y, but that's another story) 9 week old, I've gotta ask... WHEN???? In the meantime, bicycle, simethicone, gripe water, and yes, bounce, bounce, bounce....

When did your babes outgrow gassiness?
#13 of 18 Old 08-03-2003, 05:45 PM

Hmm.. I think it was as she approached her third month. It was a gradual shift, but she just started crying less and smiling more.

Also, we went to a cranial sacral healer. (Can't remember if i said that already) and i think that may have also helped.
I never really knew what did the job- cs healer, diet change, tummy message, ect
I was just glad it changed.

#14 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 01:00 AM

For our extremely gassy baby, we used gripe water...it's essentially sugar water with a bit of oil of fennel. I think it really just distracts the baby a bit. We used to give it to dd on her soother...kept plunking it in and out of the gripe water until she calmed down. It's very well known in Canada...many moms swear by it.
We tried the gas drops...she screamed. DH threw them out in disgust one night.
But the thing that worked best for us was the sling. The only way DD would sleep during the day for the first 3 months of her life was in her sling. I could never nurse her to sleep, because nursing made her uncomfortable.
We used a MayaWrap and put her in it straight up and down. She hated the cradle hold. Again, I think being upright helps babies with gas somewhat.
Of course, there are experts out there that will tell you excessive crying/colic has nothing to do with gas, but I don't buy that.
Good luck. DD got better around 4 months, although she's still not a comfortable baby.
#15 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a very gassy baby, too. The mycilon drops didn't help much, but Hyland's colic tablets worked wonders. A few minutes after taking them he'd fart a lot! They are homeopathic, and some drugstores/markets carrry them, or go to a health food store. Also, cutting wheat made a huge difference for me. I lived on rice and potatoes, but it was worth it.

~Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#16 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 08:05 AM

My DS had horrible gas from day 2. After talking over the situation with my midwife, I cut out all dairy. It made an immediate difference. I stayed off dairy until DS was about 3 months old. DS still had gas without dairy in my diet, but it wasn't so painful.
#17 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 01:52 PM

MY DS is just now starting to seem more comfortable at night. He's 4 months old. He used to wake and cry/pass gas numerous times a night, he also would fuss during the day while doing so. Early on it was worse, as I had over-active let down, fore/hind milk imbalance and so still only feed one breast per feeding. I also cut out dairy, and I'm really not sure that was it, as I did that 2 months ago. I think it just takes some babys longer to adjust to things, and your baby will learn to pass gas better as he gets older. The way I understand it, if it's an allergy it has to be something that would pass into your breast milk in a protien, like milk, soy, eggs, nuts, and grains....but I never really noticed a huge diff when limiting/cutting these out. I give my DS the gas drops nightly, just in case they'll help. I'm still dairy free though, as I just don't want to chance hurting DS.
#18 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 03:51 PM

Funny how we keep up with things even when we're not sure they work. I haven't had a glass of milk or a latte in 5 months, even though cutting out dairy has never seemed to have much effect on dd. I just keep thinking, Maybe, Maybe!
One benefit of cutting out all these "possible" discomfort foods...I lost all my pregnancy weight plus an extra 10 lbs!
Forgot to mention that I also went to feeding from only one breast for 2-3 hours. That did seem to help.
After posting last night, I actually gave dd gripe water twice during the night. She was awake crying sooo many times. Even after nursing she couldn't fall back asleep. I have no idea what's bothering her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page