Missing enamel on 9 mo old's teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been noticing that on my daughter's teeth (upper outside, not middle two) there are huge...what appears to be missing enamel.

What in the WORLD!?!? The only thing I can think of is that I got a severe bladder (almost kidney) infection and had to take serious antibiotics (can't remember the name) during my 2nd trimester...could that have done it??

We haven't dealt with this with our other kids..should I take her to the dentist?? She's not really eating yet and it doesn't seem to bother her at all, I guess I'm just worried her teeth might just..snap off or something! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM

I had missing enamel on some of my baby teeth (molars, I think) - they just came in with no enamel and almost instantaneoulsy had cavities. They were able to do some sort of treatment on them to make up for the missing enamel, but I was more prone to cavities. If you have a good dentist that you like, I would probably have it checked - teeth can come in without enamel. (BTW, this happened on two of my adult molars too...)

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#3 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM

Ds had the exact same thing happen. I also took abx during pg but cant remember the name. It went from the 2 top side teeth to the 2 very front ones I did take him to the dentist and they blamed me for night nursing : never mind that his teeth came in that way.

They wanted to put him to sleep and cap them but I was not comfortable having him put under for less than an emergancy because of the risks of GA.

By the time he was 2yo his teeth had broken off to the gum and he developed abcesses : He went on abx and they were pulled a week later in office with just local anesthetic.

If I had it to do over I would still choose not to have him put under GA when he was a year old but I would have when he was closer to 2yo I waited to long and my little guy suffered for it

Be prepaired if you do take your dc in to the dentist you will most likely be blamed because of night nursing just know that has NOTHING to do with it. Some kids just dont have good enamal for some reason. My older brother also lost his top 4 teeth to the same exact thing so maybe a genetic componant in there as well.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM

We struggle with my son's teeth. He has a lack of enamel and has had several cavities. It's very frustrating. The dentist said that they just come in that way. Now that he's losing his baby teeth and getting his permanent teeth I'm hoping it won't be an issue!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#5 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM

I have pics of ds's teeth when they first started to chip away if you want to see them let me know and I will get them to you.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yah, it's just bizarre. Right now I can scrape with my fingernails and I can feel it's...missing. And it's yellow in color. Weird. I don't know if I trust the dentist, though IMO it's fairly obvious they just came in that way. Crapola.

So they can actually break off?? Other than capping under GA (which like you MCatlvr I'm just noooot okay with at this age) is there anything else I can do??
#7 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Ds's just slowly broke away over time. They went from a few yellow spots to getting darker then the teeth just wore away.

There are some things you can try to strengthen the enamal that I have read about here. But I found them to late for ds.

#8 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 PM

I have heard this can be caused by mom taking antibiotics during pregnancy or a virus during pregnancy. I think I have also heard enamel on the adult teeth can be affected by a high fever during childhood. I would suggest taking her into a pediatric dentist.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page