Talk to me about winter gear. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's getting cold around here, and I've never had to dress a baby for winter before. What are your favorite things? Where do you get them?

While we have a lot of warm clothes, I'm thinking especially for little fingers and toes, what kind of hat is most likely to survive a baby pulling at it for more than thirty seconds, possibly a certain degree of waterproofing (after walking home in the cold with a baby who'd been sucking on his well-socked -- but now wet -- toes ), etc.

Regular coats? Buntings/snowsuits? What works best for you?

Hit me with whatever you've got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I love fleece buntings, they compress enough to use in the car seat unlike all other buntings and jackets, I don't have to worry about a jacket riding up and leaving their back exposed while they are riding on my hip. I do have one fleece jacket for the said car seat issue, and one waterproof jacket along with pants because I have an older child who loves to go sledding so I do spend a fair amount of time outside in the winter.

I have the bootie type Roobez for the feet, I will worry about snow boots when DD2 starts walking. Hats, hmmm, I personally think the tight ski cap type stay on the best, they don't slip over their eyes and can with stand some tugging.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 7 Old 10-31-2007, 04:11 PM

for a little one that is not walking or crawling yet, we do the fleece bunting from hanna andersson, coupled with the pilot cap, and finished off with the bundle me ( by jj cole??) with the stroller or carseat. if the babe will be worn, i usually use the kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch nice and warm!

with a babe that is walking then they are usually just in layers and some sort or soled waterproof boot. i knit a bunch of thumbless mittens for the 1 yr old stage and hats to go with them. OH and hand knit leg/ ankle warmers too. if there is snow, then snow pants, and a waterproof coat.
#4 of 7 Old 10-31-2007, 04:32 PM

...note to self, come back here and take notes!!
#5 of 7 Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM

We had a warm jj cole bundle me that we used in the car seat and stroller. It was great not having to deal with coats and boots. Now that ours is a toddler, we'll have to come up with something else. Do little ones keep mittens on?
#6 of 7 Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM

I just bought wool from head to foot for an underlayer, as it stays warm even when wet. Nova naturals and nordic naturals woolens carry Ruskovilla clothing, which is fabulous, though pricey. I got a long sleeved marino onesie, long johns, silk lined wool mittens, wool socks, and most importantly, a wool hood. the hood covers her head, neck, and shoulders so only her little moon face peeks out. she doesn't mind it and it's warm. in colder weather you could top it with a hat. I do regret the socks, as I paid as much for shipping as the socks, only to find that REI carries smart wools for babies (16.00 for two pair) super cute,and our family lives in smart wools for winter. I think layering is the best way to go. I figured splurging on the base layer was important, then found a fleece bunting at the thrift store to top it off. The wool is super soft, btw, not itchy at all. I was going to ask for piece by piece as relatives asked what we needed for christmas, but I want her to be warm now.
#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM

The JJ Cole Bundleme is great for strollers... I am ISO of a toddler one for DS. BUT it is NOT safe in carseats. Nothing should go between your baby and the carseat. THe bundleme goes underneath the child - not good. For more info talk to a car seat technician.

Mama to two boys (1/07 and 3/09) and due with baby #3 in May.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page