April 2007 babes - November HAS ARRIVED! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nani: enjoy your trip to HI! I had a friend living there for awhile, but never had the chance to go visit her. That should be so much fun!

No sleep tips here. It's probably just a stage and won't last forever, but I hear you about wanting to use nap time on other things. Your older son needs that time too.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 05:03 PM

hey all--
zenon and i are headed to nyc for two days. i've never gone there to just hang out...but my sister just got some unexpected money and we're taking the train down! a mini-adventure.
see ya'll in a couple days

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 11-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
Is anyone doing swim classes yet? I think I'll sign up Romea for a class in January.

Is anyone else having sleep issues with their babies? Romea wakes up about 3-7 times a night...
We started swim lessons this past week, and are really enjoying them!

And yes, we are having sleep issues as well - as in Johnny wants to play or eat, not sleep - waking up lots!

vikilefay- welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
hey all--
zenon and i are headed to nyc for two days. i've never gone there to just hang out...but my sister just got some unexpected money and we're taking the train down! a mini-adventure.
Have fun!!! DH is from NYC, so we go up there frequently (well at least prior to baby - now maybe 4 times a year). So much to do..I love it!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
hey all--

Have fun! Can't wait to hear what you did!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 PM

swimming - we haven't done this. My sister has at the local college and has enjoyed it. She said each of her boys loved the water.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:52 PM

and as we propel this group over 400 again, I hope to hit 4000

Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikilefay View Post
Hello I'd like to join. My April baby, Ewan, was born on the 29th. He has a big brother Kian who is a 3.5.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Sometimes I am afraid he has something wrong because he doesn't sleep deeply, but he is soooooo happy when he is awake I am sure he is not sleep deprived. I have no one to talk to about this IRL, because people don't understand why I just won't put him in the crib and CIO. It just feels good to know I am not the only one struggling with this. All the mums I associate with have magical babies they put down and sleep. (husband is convinced that they put them down and ignore them... who is to say?)

Thanks in advance
Welcome fellow Ontarian! I wish I could help you with the sleep problem- I don't have any suggestion, but someone else surely will!
(I have one of the magical babes

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

My magical babe has turned into a problem child too - she tends to wake up when I move until she is soundly asleep, which can take up to an hour or two. I can get up at 5 am and I only have to go up once to nurse her before I wake her and DD1 at 7:30 am (but I have to get up at 5 then). So, weekdays I use those 2.5 hours (with a 30-45 min interruption) to do whatever I can get done...

DH is upset in an understanding way that we have had a LOT less mommy and daddy time. By the time Abby is truly asleep, I am nearly there as well.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Truth be told I had one of those magical babies until he was 4 months old. His brother was ALWAYS in my arms. It's how I stumbled upon attachment parenting. When he was 2 months old I had an epiphany that one day he would be a man and I would never have this time again. I just knew from that moment the way I instinctively parented him was just what he needed. I think though that I am afraid I am going to end up with another lousy sleeper. It's a good thing I think they are so awesome in every other way
Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 AM

Hello to you all. I have been MIA because of school. It consumes all of my time. Ashton has already been to college a few times. He's going to be a whiz kid at the rate he is attending college. I am in senior classes and projects are CONSTANT. I like it but it is difficult with 2 little ones and being a non-traditional student makes it difficult for my classmates to understand (because they don't have families to take care of) and I am in a group with 4 other girls. I do the least work and it is all I can do to keep up with them. : Anyway, enough about that.... Ashton is growing growing growing. I just can not believe it has been 6 mos already (and 7 for some). It just seems like yesterday he was born. He isn't sitting up yet but he is definately on his way to crawling. He gets up on all fours and rocks. I am not sure which will come first sitting or crawling. He scoots himself across the room and has definate intents on getting things. He still doesn't have any teeth. I *think* he is teething but I'm not sure. I've been thinking he was teething for over a month now.

I am sorry I don't have time to read the thread right now. I have a Retail Store project due Monday and I am struggling to get it finished. I hope that I will be able to take a little time Mon. afternoon to see how everyone is doing. to all!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005 View Post
Hello to you all. I have been MIA because of school. It consumes all of my time. Ashton has already been to college a few times. He's going to be a whiz kid at the rate he is attending college. I am in senior classes and projects are CONSTANT. I like it but it is difficult with 2 little ones and being a non-traditional student makes it difficult for my classmates to understand (because they don't have families to take care of) and I am in a group with 4 other girls. I do the least work and it is all I can do to keep up with them. : A
I'm a student mama too...you'll pull through. What are you studying?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 AM

Hi Velvet! I love seeing your posts! I remember the non trads during my college days. Do you sit in the front too? Good luck getting every thing done!

My magical sleeper isn't being that way. She now likes to get up around 4-4:30 and won't go back to bed (unless it is 7 and I have to go take a shower. Last night we ended up sleeping in a chair and then on the couch together (with dd3 next to me for some reason). Tonight she got up and I did get her to go back to sleep by laying in bed with me where she is now. The only reason she is in there is DH has a cough and slept on the couch last night. So she has a lot of pillow propped around her.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 AM

one more thing

my DH suggested what amounts to CIO. I told him: great, so she cries for the next half hour. What good does that do me? I can't sleep through that. I can at least doze out in the chair.

He just rolls his eyes at me for the bad habit.

I have to go on a business trip for 3 nights. I think he's worried he'll be out there doing that.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Good to hear from you, velvet! Sounds like you lead a crazy busy life. It makes my head spin just thinking about it.

I forgot to mention that the last time I left DD w/ DH went WAY smoother than the time prior to that (the one where she cried for an hour and eventually cried herself to sleep ). This time, I nursed her to sleep right before I left and she slept until about a half hour before I got home. When I walked in, she was laying diaperless on the bed playing and DH was sitting next to her talking on the phone. When I asked how it went, he said fine but that he couldn't figure out how to put her diaper on, so he gave up. : I swear, sometimes I think he plays dumb on purpose just to get out of doing things! I'm all for diaper-free time, but he could've at least put a towel or waterproof pad under her - just by some miracle she hadn't peed in the 30 minutes she was nakie on the bed...but still. PLUS, the diapers I had laid out for him were pocket diapers all stuffed and ready to slap on a baby! They were side-snapping, though...so I guess that's what blew his mind.

Yesterday, Scout kept getting up on all fours and rocking! Sheesh! That happened over night! She had only done it maybe once before and immediately toppled to her side. Last night, it looked as if she had been doing it for ages. Babies are amazing. :
Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
my DH suggested what amounts to CIO. I told him: great, so she cries for the next half hour. What good does that do me? I can't sleep through that. I can at least doze out in the chair.

He just rolls his eyes at me for the bad habit.

I have to go on a business trip for 3 nights. I think he's worried he'll be out there doing that.
My DH used to be like that too...until one night while I was at work he tried it (for almost 30mins!) Johnny never stopped crying and it turn out he was hungry.

That probably sounds horrible but I am sure Johnny's not ruined for it and my poor DH felt so horrible and guilty that he has never braught it up or tried it since!

Also DH said no co-sleeping, but gues who started it? DH!!!! It was what worked for him because I worked nights...and he neded to sleep somehow!

if only I could just get him to BW!!! - so he can't use watching Johnny to not do other things! (every night I'm gone I come home to chinease food and trash all over the living room.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 PM

nak

Hi! Today I am super woman! I've made two loaves of pumpkin bread, one loaf regular bread, I'm in the middle of making the crust for two pumpkin pies (made filling already) and have been cutting, boiling and mashing apples for apple butter. All while taking care of babe and she's had two naps! Oh yeah, and I swept the floor.

Why, you might ask? Dh and ds have been out of the house all day. Hooray.

And, the computer has been down since last night. It's bad, like tv, I'm always checking mail or looking at cute diapers, or what I can trade on craigslist. I'm actually trading some of Max's old clothes for a sling from diaperswappers.

And, now that Scarlet is CRAWLING and wanting to STAND UP all the time, I can actually put her on the floor with some toys and she'll entertain herself. Kewpie, your right, babes are amazing!

Hi velvet, and, Montanamama, where are you?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:48 PM

Geez, this thread is moving way to fast already, I can't keep up!!

Maximom: First of all: wow!!! You amaze me.
Romi's doing the same thing too! She can pull up to her knees and even all the way to standing if her hands are on a low enough item (i.e. Liam's stepping stool). Insane. I started putting her in the bath with 2-3 inches of water as someone here suggested (I forget who) and it's been a BLAST!!! She loves it!

Apart from that, I'm still eating Liam's halloween candy, so I'm typing this as I chew my 8th piece of gum. Yep, gum binger here!!

Romi's sleeping is touch & go. You never know what you'll get. So maybe I should be heading to bed early... Stupid daylight's savings time.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 AM

Caroline has 2 teeth now!!!
off to eat my Halloween candy!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=MaxiMom;9630856]nak

Hi! Today I am super woman! I've made two loaves of pumpkin bread, one loaf regular bread, I'm in the middle of making the crust for two pumpkin pies (made filling already) and have been cutting, boiling and mashing apples for apple butter. All while taking care of babe and she's had two naps! Oh yeah, and I swept the floor.

Why, you might ask? Dh and ds have been out of the house all day. Hooray.

And, the computer has been down since last night. It's bad, like tv, I'm always checking mail or looking at cute diapers, or what I can trade on craigslist. I'm actually trading some of Max's old clothes for a sling from diaperswappers.

And, now that Scarlet is CRAWLING and wanting to STAND UP all the time, I can actually put her on the floor with some toys and she'll entertain herself. Kewpie, your right, babes are amazing![QUOTE]

I just caught up reading this thread and I am too tired to reply to everyone. I am so backlogged on sleep that started this past Wed. night with a fight with our bread machine, throw in a BAD stomach bug on Fri night when G was throwing up constantly and awake every hour...poor baby She is better now, but with daylight savings she woke up at 6 am instead of 7 for the day, and then went nuts at 6 tonight for bedtime while we were at the IL's. And my MIL bought G three new pairs of babylegs for Halloween since she can't have candy.... yeeeeeee! so cute.

I need to go wash my face and be ready to get in bed as soon as she wakes up to nurse...should be soon, she went down at like 7 (which apparently felt like 8 to her I hope it's soon...I'm exhausted but if I get in bed with her before she is ready to nurse it goofs up her sleep cycles. I hope everyone has a good, restfull night!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Hey dudes,

well, I am NOT superwoman today! I was miserable and sick and I had my housecleaner come tonight- wow, she did a beautiful job, I finally feel CLEAN! What a nice way to start the week!

barf, I just ate a huge peice of cake. woops.
So I think I forgot to mention last week, EVANGELINE GOT A TOOTH! woo hoo, actually she got two! perhaps a reason to all that nightwaking- and I should correct myself about the magical baby part- she's only magical when I put her down for naps or night, not in sleeping through anymore. This is her routine: rubs eyes, I bring her to her crib, soother and cover her up, she turns her head to the side, and she's alseep. Or the more complicated route, mmm, not quite tired, I'll play with this neat blanket for a bit'. I'm not bragging, in fact I find it almost eerie how easy she goes down, how many times have I stood there watching her and wondering if she was real? But the recent 3x night waking has made up for it!! Both Axel and I are sick, sick, sick, and I blame it on a comprimised immune system from lack of sleep!:
Poor Axel, this is him tonight, after we put him down to sleep. And keep in mind, he has adorable pronounciaton yet, like 'problem' is 'pwobwum' and 'scary' is 'stawy'. he says 't' for hard c's.

'Mommy, I want daddy' ( I was getting tea in the kitchen)
'Why do you want daddy, Axel? You need to go to sleep'
'Oh, I want daddy to come down'
'Ok Axel (I go into his room and sit on his bed), I'll get daddy, but tell me what's the matter'
'Oh, mommy, there was a big scary monster and I was scared'
'Oh. really. Well, Axel, I'll get daddy, but let me tell you something, monsters arent' real, they're just pretend'
'well, there's just one problem mommy'
'what's that?'
'there was a monster'
'oh, really. ok, well, where was the monster?'
'in the kitchen'
'and what did the monster look like?'
'a frog. big and round. it was scary and I was scared when I was sleeping'
'oh. well, are you sure you weren't dreaming?'
'wellll, maybe I was dreaming'

ok, so maybe that doesn't translate well into type. sometimes I think things are funny and no one else does.: but it was cute that he was so sure he saw a monster, and he knew what it looked like. in a way I feel sad, though, I don't want him to be scared of things. and i liked, 'wew, deh's just one pwobwem mummy' he's not even 3!

ok, so anyone else have some awesome stories?
A
(i was wondering where montanamama was too)

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
Hey dudes,

well, I am NOT superwoman today! I was miserable and sick and I had my housecleaner come tonight- wow, she did a beautiful job, I finally feel CLEAN! What a nice way to start the week!

barf, I just ate a huge peice of cake. woops.
So I think I forgot to mention last week, EVANGELINE GOT A TOOTH! woo hoo, actually she got two! perhaps a reason to all that nightwaking- and I should correct myself about the magical baby part- she's only magical when I put her down for naps or night, not in sleeping through anymore. This is her routine: rubs eyes, I bring her to her crib, soother and cover her up, she turns her head to the side, and she's alseep. Or the more complicated route, mmm, not quite tired, I'll play with this neat blanket for a bit'. I'm not bragging, in fact I find it almost eerie how easy she goes down, how many times have I stood there watching her and wondering if she was real? But the recent 3x night waking has made up for it!! Both Axel and I are sick, sick, sick, and I blame it on a comprimised immune system from lack of sleep!:
Poor Axel, this is him tonight, after we put him down to sleep. And keep in mind, he has adorable pronounciaton yet, like 'problem' is 'pwobwum' and 'scary' is 'stawy'. he says 't' for hard c's.

'Mommy, I want daddy' ( I was getting tea in the kitchen)
'Why do you want daddy, Axel? You need to go to sleep'
'Oh, I want daddy to come down'
'Ok Axel (I go into his room and sit on his bed), I'll get daddy, but tell me what's the matter'
'Oh, mommy, there was a big scary monster and I was scared'
'Oh. really. Well, Axel, I'll get daddy, but let me tell you something, monsters arent' real, they're just pretend'
'well, there's just one problem mommy'
'what's that?'
'there was a monster'
'oh, really. ok, well, where was the monster?'
'in the kitchen'
'and what did the monster look like?'
'a frog. big and round. it was scary and I was scared when I was sleeping'
'oh. well, are you sure you weren't dreaming?'
'wellll, maybe I was dreaming'

ok, so maybe that doesn't translate well into type. sometimes I think things are funny and no one else does.: but it was cute that he was so sure he saw a monster, and he knew what it looked like. in a way I feel sad, though, I don't want him to be scared of things. and i liked, 'wew, deh's just one pwobwem mummy' he's not even 3!

ok, so anyone else have some awesome stories?
A
(i was wondering where montanamama was too)
I love Axel!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 AM

thanks!!! :

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 AM

What's with all the sickies?! Hope everyone is feeling better and it passes soon. I tell ya, I'm wiped now. A busy day and a plateful of pasta (and two pieces of pie ) and I'm ready for bed!

Too bad Max won't let me in the bedroom, he's in playing with daddy. Scarlet has a big spoon in hand, it's very cute how she looks at it and chews on it.

I love our kids stories and all you mamas!

Night, night...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 AM

Standing? More babies are standing? On my!!!! I'm not ready for that!

So I took the girls over to my parents this after noon so the older girls can play with their cousins (4, 7, 10). Then my little sister came over and brought her boys (2 1/2, 1). Sophia was not a nice girl! She would scoot herself over to P (the 1 yr old) and pull his hair! It was so intentional because she kept doing it anytime that she was close!!!

OK, I'm hungry. I'm suppose to be on a diet. There is nothing in the house to eat that sounds good. Sure wish I had some bread, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 AM

Dang, maximom! I can't even find the energy to empty our dishwasher, let alone actually make food and sweep the floor!

Awe - I'm imagining how cute Axel's little toddler accent must sound in real life.

I wish we all lived close enough to one another to have a big play date with our April babies. We went over to the house of one of DH's ex-coworkers an d their little boy is 15 days older than Scout. We had a blast watching them play together and seeing how similar they are. I guess I haven't really had the opportunity to have Scout around anyone that close to her own age before. It was fun.

Which reminds me, how do you mommas feel about babies sharing toys? At first the idea of Scout putting a toy in her mouth that I knew another baby had just been slobbering all over really grossed me out. I'm not sure why, but I felt very relaxed about it when she was playing the above mentioned baby's toys the other night. Neither baby was sick and the mom and I agreed that we both didn't mind if they swapped slobber, so we just let them have at it. Usually if we are in the church nursery and I set her down to play, I make sure she plays with her own toys and doesn't stick any of the "community toys" in her mouth. Maybe I was more at ease when it was just one child's germiness as opposed to the coodies of every baby and toddler in the church. I need to find a balance. I don't want to be careless about what I let her put in her mouth , but I also don't want to be crazy paranoid about it either. :
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM

So I'm up early because DH is driving 2 hours for the morning job anouncment at his labor union and I actualy got together to make him lunch and breakfast - but keep your fingers crossed...I'm hoping he doesn't come back until this afternoon because he gets assigned a new job!!!!!!!!

Sharing toys- I've usually been pretty relaxed (I mean I guess if I noticed a visibly ill child maybe I would be more concerned, or with a stranger maybe) but when we go to playgroups and stuff I don't stress it. In fact last time we were out with other babies a little girl had a toy she was playing with and putting in her mouth and she was oh so sweet and shared it with Johnny - by putting it in his mouth (she's just about a month older)...I thought it was cute.

So now I'm remebering a few things that happened in the church nursery yesterday (the first day we left him there). As we were checking him in a kid escaped! That made me a bit concerned! But then the funny thing that happened was they asked me when J would be hungry - I said "I don't know maybe 11:30" - just a guess pulled out of my butt So I noticed his number flash at exactly 11:30 and thought they must be paiging me because of the time but he was a little fussy when I walked in and they started going on and on about how great of a schedule he is on etc etc because he got hungry at exactly the time I said blah blah....I TOTALLY wanted to get into the idea that I don't believe in schedules - especially for feedings; but I decided better to keep my mouth shut.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

So now I'm remebering a few things that happened in the church nursery yesterday (the first day we left him there). As we were checking him in a kid escaped! That made me a bit concerned! But then the funny thing that happened was they asked me when J would be hungry - I said "I don't know maybe 11:30" - just a guess pulled out of my butt So I noticed his number flash at exactly 11:30 and thought they must be paiging me because of the time but he was a little fussy when I walked in and they started going on and on about how great of a schedule he is on etc etc because he got hungry at exactly the time I said blah blah....I TOTALLY wanted to get into the idea that I don't believe in schedules - especially for feedings; but I decided better to keep my mouth shut.
lol I do this....feel the need to explain how things REALLY are... At Mass yesterday G was pretty quiet and looking around and smiling a lot (usually she's babbling real loud) and afterwards an older woman came up to me and asked "Is she always this good??" Well I hate that whole good baby/bad baby thing so I said, "Yes. She is. All babies are good, all the time. Makes it easy, huh " I could tell she never thought about it that way because she paused and was like "Hm I guess so..." and I continued "Yes, all babies are good....just disruptive sometimes."

DH was like...next time just answer and MOVE on..it's ok.

Ugh daylight savings time is killing me...she woke up at 5:45 for the day. Could someone please tell her that even though it FEELS like an hour later to her, it's NOT????
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
Ugh daylight savings time is killing me...she woke up at 5:45 for the day. Could someone please tell her that even though it FEELS like an hour later to her, it's NOT????
I agree. It's hard enough getting SP to stay up until 7:00 pm, but getting up at 5:00 is murder.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Ronan woke up at a quarter past seven. But it wasn't the happy morning baby I'm used to, no the freakin' construction zone behind my house was already knocking down trees and beeping that infernal back-up warning. (This is a whole 'nother rant.)

He was startled awake and screaming. I managed to get him back down, but I can't sleep through beeping. And I'm pretty sure the time/purpose means they're not subject to the noise ordinance.

Grrrr. I normally sleep past 9am. I can understand a construction site getting going at 8am, that's reasonable. But 7am? :

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM

oh, my gosh I had a horrible night. Ok, no, no one is dismembered or missing, no the scary monster didn't come back, but I got NO SLEEP!!!:
Evangeline decided to party all night. She cooed, babbled, blew bubbles, grunted and growled until 1:30 (which was 2:30 before daylight savings!). Not crying, not hungry...what!?? FINALLY I did just feed her, in hopes of shutting her up. (the woes of cosleeping). She did, until 3. I fell asleep feeding her and woke up at 4 to her abruptly popping off my nipple. Then dh decided he couldn't sleep at 4:30 and got up to make a fire, and brought Axel back to bed at 5am. 5:30 fed the girl again. 6am woke up to use half a box of kleenexes on my nose, I was mouth-breathing I was so stuffed up. Slept through more joyful babbling and cooing until 7:30, squished up against dh because our bed was full.:

Freaking nuts.

Toys and slobber- actually I don't mind toy sharing at all, unless the other kid is sick or weird looking. (just kidding- that was a dumb no-sleep joke) I figure it's building up her immune system via exposure. In our church nursary I've noticed the ladies discouraging anything in the mouth, fingers or toys, and I've wondered why.

huh, my cheerful little ghoul is hungry again

User Tag List