September 2007 mamas-Is it really November already? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vent ahead ~ skip if you want ~ in need of a bit of support.

I didn't want to post this elsewhere because I trust all of you and am feeling vulnerable.

I am having a rough week and feeling like a failure. I am yelling way too much, have no patience and am generally disliking my 2yo right now. Dahlia has decided that she only wants to be held (she is down for now but probably not for long) and often wants to suck my finger too so I have no hands. Eavan continues to be high needs and now wants to nurse constantly. I feel like all I do is tell him to go away, be quiet and no you can't nurse. It is making me feel like a horrible mother. My house is a mess because my back hurts so much from carrying her all the time that when I finally get a break the last thing I want to do is clean. Most often I have to take those few moments to get Eavan everything I can before Dahlia needs me again. My needs are not even close to getting met. My dh is stressed and tired too so is having a hard time helping me in the way I need him to. Last night my 15yo dd broke my heart when dh was yelling at Eavan and she said "why does everyone yell at him all the time?" It is just so sad and horrible. He is so hard to cope with though. He refuses to listen or cooperate, he gets into everything all the time, he does everything he can to hurt himself on a regular basis etc etc etc. I hear dahlia waking again so I can't even vent properly.

I can't type with her asleep in the room as it wakes her up every time. She needs quiet to sleep now which she didn't before. The saving grace is that she still sleeps through the night. I figure that will stop any day now. I am feeling so pathetically sorry for myself and then feel horribly guilty for that in light of other people's real problems. I am so conflicted, confused, overwhelmed and frustrated. I am interviewing a mother's helper today and will go without food if I can get some help. She seems really great and even has experience with EC and NVC. I hope she works out. I need some relief.
I can't go anywhere because Eavan is a runner. A fast runner. He has taken to bolting into the street so I just don't feel safe going too far without another adult. I feel trapped and alone and just keep beating myself up over every little thing. I would guess I have some ppd coming on and need to really take my fish oil every day but can't even seem to do that right.

I really should go and get myself some food before Dahlia wakes up for real. Thanks for listening if you got this far. I could go on and on but it all seems to petty. I wish I could just pull it together and be more on top of it all.
Wendi
#122 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
Vent ahead ~ skip if you want ~ in need of a bit of support.

I didn't want to post this elsewhere because I trust all of you and am feeling vulnerable.

I am having a rough week and feeling like a failure. I am yelling way too much, have no patience and am generally disliking my 2yo right now. Dahlia has decided that she only wants to be held (she is down for now but probably not for long) and often wants to suck my finger too so I have no hands. Eavan continues to be high needs and now wants to nurse constantly. I feel like all I do is tell him to go away, be quiet and no you can't nurse. It is making me feel like a horrible mother. My house is a mess because my back hurts so much from carrying her all the time that when I finally get a break the last thing I want to do is clean. Most often I have to take those few moments to get Eavan everything I can before Dahlia needs me again. My needs are not even close to getting met. My dh is stressed and tired too so is having a hard time helping me in the way I need him to. Last night my 15yo dd broke my heart when dh was yelling at Eavan and she said "why does everyone yell at him all the time?" It is just so sad and horrible. He is so hard to cope with though. He refuses to listen or cooperate, he gets into everything all the time, he does everything he can to hurt himself on a regular basis etc etc etc. I hear dahlia waking again so I can't even vent properly.

I can't type with her asleep in the room as it wakes her up every time. She needs quiet to sleep now which she didn't before. The saving grace is that she still sleeps through the night. I figure that will stop any day now. I am feeling so pathetically sorry for myself and then feel horribly guilty for that in light of other people's real problems. I am so conflicted, confused, overwhelmed and frustrated. I am interviewing a mother's helper today and will go without food if I can get some help. She seems really great and even has experience with EC and NVC. I hope she works out. I need some relief.
I can't go anywhere because Eavan is a runner. A fast runner. He has taken to bolting into the street so I just don't feel safe going too far without another adult. I feel trapped and alone and just keep beating myself up over every little thing. I would guess I have some ppd coming on and need to really take my fish oil every day but can't even seem to do that right.

I really should go and get myself some food before Dahlia wakes up for real. Thanks for listening if you got this far. I could go on and on but it all seems to petty. I wish I could just pull it together and be more on top of it all.
Wendi
I have the 3.5yo female version of Eavan I think...at least right now so I feel for ya mama....and I am doing way too much yelling.....not so much today bc I have caught myself....

Vent away..that's why we are here....

I would love to write more to you but dd is in the bathroom playing with water I think and I need to go get her....she seems to wait until I sit down. Lilah is wanting to nurse all the time right now too...hitting the 3mo spurt a bit early I think and her big sister got her first 2 teeth at 12kwks so I think she may be teething too...NOT READY FOR THAT...why is time moving faster than with the first????

So many hugs....pm or email me if you want to vent more.....
#123 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 PM

to both of you.

lactivist - i hope the mother's helper works out. she sounds like she'd be a great help. don't be too hard on yourself. it is hard. we're not surrounded by family like we used to be. we never used to raise children by ourselves -we always had support. i hope it gets easier for you.

Mama to three  
#124 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
I am having a rough week and feeling like a failure. I am yelling way too much, have no patience and am generally disliking my 2yo right now. Dahlia has decided that she only wants to be held (she is down for now but probably not for long) and often wants to suck my finger too so I have no hands. Eavan continues to be high needs and now wants to nurse constantly. I feel like all I do is tell him to go away, be quiet and no you can't nurse. It is making me feel like a horrible mother. My house is a mess because my back hurts so much from carrying her all the time that when I finally get a break the last thing I want to do is clean. Most often I have to take those few moments to get Eavan everything I can before Dahlia needs me again. My needs are not even close to getting met. My dh is stressed and tired too so is having a hard time helping me in the way I need him to. Last night my 15yo dd broke my heart when dh was yelling at Eavan and she said "why does everyone yell at him all the time?" It is just so sad and horrible. He is so hard to cope with though. He refuses to listen or cooperate, he gets into everything all the time, he does everything he can to hurt himself on a regular basis etc etc etc.
Mama... I could have written this myself today! I am going through the EXACT same thing.... and feeling SO SO SO bad! I posted in the PPD for the first time just about an hour ago with questions. Hugs to you.... I know what you are going through!

We put our house up for sale last night...send us lots of selling vibes please, however..... MORE STRESS but excitement added to my plate!

Take Care Mama!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#125 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Lactivist and Sunshine's Mama, I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I suppose I am going to vent in attempt to commiserate.

There is a whole list of issues I am trying to cope with today. I have no idea how this is helpful. I know some of my worries are so small but I can't get a grip. I think the mother's helper is a great idea and think about ppd if the anger is an issue. Other than that maybe sleep, a good diet, some exercise and sunshine in between everything else you are doing.

Please don't tell me it is normal to feel this way right now. I just want Alice from the Brady Bunch to come take care of it all for me. I need a mom and wife. :

I deleted it all because I cannot publicly admit how badly I am doing when I have it so good.

I am not sure what to do next. I guess dinner. This is so unhelpful. I am going back to pretending everything is okay and hoping that will make it so soon enough. I am clicking submit quick before I delete more.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#126 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Hey Wendi (and others)
this mothering thing is tough! I can relate to all of you who are having a hard time. I feel like I spend my days either yelling and nagging at the kids, or crying in frustration as they run around destroying the house and finding every possible way to annoy me.

I hope everything gets better for you.
#127 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM

I'm yelling a lot, too... and I keep reminding myself that it's tough on my 4yo, too.... but it's so hard, SO HARD to remember that.

I need some kind of help w/dd and just don't know what to do. I've asked my good friend who's in early childcare & she recommended at least an hour of good excercise every day. I have a runner, too. I live right by the park but have to cross a somewhat busy road to get there. I have an ankle injury that prevents me from being able to run so it's flat out dangerous for me to go anywhere with her. We sold our 2nd vehicle & thought that we'd fence our yard & build a nice playground here so we could get Lily lots of excercise.... but we're finding 1 car to be another major adjustment and I don't want to be putting so much pressure on ourselves right now. There's more, it's all just a big catch 22. :

:
yikes, another diaper change is in order.
#128 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM

thank you all. I can't reply right now because it will wake Dahlia. Just know your support means the world to me. I am sorry any can relate at all.
Wendi
#129 of 466 Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 PM

to everyone having a difficult time, I hope things get easier for all of you. Take good care of yourselves and find help around the house and with the kids if you can, I'd come help you all if I could.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#130 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM

We had our bad day yesterday, and I didn't have the guts to post it! Haylee actually bit Waylon, very sneakily. It left a bruise on his tiny little arm. I have been feeling resentment and irritation about her--the things I used to be enamored by have me wanting to strangle her. I took some time today to look at some videos and pictures of her over the past 23 months and it really put it into perspective. I know I am expecting too much of her...she really is just a baby. I took some time today to focus on her and only her. Waylon hasn't been napping very good, but today I got him to sleep in the MT and put him in the vibrating chair and he napped for an hour and a half, and instead of having Haylee "help" me with my things we did whatever she wanted and it was really fun. I should have done it sooner.

Anyway...we had a better day today. I guess because misery loves company I am glad to hear I'm not the only one having these feelings!

#131 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 AM

lilah has decided that tonight is not the night for sleep.....

i'm sooo drained and tired today....and so need her to sleep for a bit....

she's still not feeling well and is using me to comfort nurse and one side is pretty sore....i really don't want to deny her the comfort but........it's times like this i wish she would take a pacifier or my finger would soothe her.....

we are trying to outweigh continuing to help my sister pay for the bills at mom's or taking the penalty and breaking our lease here and moving into mom's which would require alot of work before movein.....removing carpets, painting and the like.....

we are so happy here in our own place but can't afford to pay both bills right now with christmas looming......and life looming....

gonna go pick her up (in her moses) and love on her for a bit.....maybe that will settle her this time....

forestry: oh no.....dd1 really likes sister's head...and i am worried about soft spot poking......eeeeekkk.......
#132 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 AM

sunshine~ hope the decision becomes clear for you.

Ruby is having a very wakeful day, as well. I can't believe she's 2 months today! :
I want to eat her up. She's such a joy, especially when we have time alone. I feel guilty for saying that, but it's so nice when dd#1 is away so I can enjoy her. And I pray that these "normal", quiet times will outweigh all of times I have her strapped to me & I'm yelling & frustrated. Is she going to be okay? Shell shocked? When Lily was a babe, there was no yelling... there was no craziness.
I'm just praying for patience & the ability to remain calm. My goal for each day is to be the cool coper.
And thank you, forestrymom, I need to take more time to focus in on Lil... I don't remember to do that nearly as much as I'd like to. She's such an amazing, vibrant little bee-ing.
#133 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Here are some pictures of Yann from this morning, and one of me and him from last week.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...nonpics/share/

I hope everyone got a good night's sleep and is ready to face the day.
I try and tell myself that it is a beautiful day, and everything will be easy and smooth. I will get through the day with grace and style and humour.
#134 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 AM

To all you mommas having a rough time.

Plaid Leopard Yann is too cute! Love his hair!
#135 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 PM

My turn for a sad vent-
My Dh rarely picks up or holds Yann, and last night when I was holding Yann in my arms he asked my why I didn't just put him down. He said I hold him too much, that he needs to be left alone more, that he likes to be in the bouncy seat or on the bed by himself. When I told him there was no harm in holding a 2 month old baby all the time (which I don't do really - he does spend quite a bit of time in the seat or bed it seems to me) he angrily told me that I was just teaching him that he NEEDED to be held all the time. What? :
This makes me so sad, mamas. This is our 4th child. The first two he held and played with all the time when they were infants, and has always been very close to them. He is very close to #3 now, but for the first year barely had anything to do with him. He goes along with co-sleeping and EBF more or less, but resents it.
In general he is a very good father - everyone comments on how great he is with the kids, but he gets mad if I ask him to hold Yann. If one of the other kids tells him that Yann wants to see him he just says "no he doesn't want to see me, he doesn't care if he sees me".
He won't read anything about AP, or makes fun of it if he does.
I am not willing to compromise on these issues, but we went through a rocky place because of them after ds2 was born and now I feel like we are heading there again.
#136 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Wow! I can hardly keep up with you mamas. I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are having frustrating, trying times right now. Georgia is seeming to get a little easier to manage (she's 10 wks today), but we're still having some issues too. Her night sleep is SO unpredictable. Sometimes she gets sacked out at 6pm and will not wake up. Obviously I can't go to bed then, so I just end up getting majorly shortchanged. DH has been making more of an effort than usual to help me get caught up, so I won't complain too much.

This whole being a parent to multiple kiddos can get so tiring though, can't it? I feel like I am constantly being pulled in 3 different directions. Sometimes I would just like a little solitude (a girl can wish, right?).

Plaid Leopard: I can totally relate to you about your recent post re: DH and AP. It's very similar at my house. DH goes along with most anything I do, but he often thinks it's stupid or unnecessary and I get catty comments sometimes. He also doesn't participate much in the infant phase. It would freak me out but I watched him do the same thing with DS#2 and they're bonded wonderfully now. He didn't get really interested in him until he was around a year old. Now it's the same thing with DD. He will hold her when I literally place her in his lap, but otherwise he just gives her a kiss here and there and leaves the rest to me. It's sad to me because I feel like he's missing out. But I've learned that pushing the issue gets me nowhere. Just wanted to commiserate.
#137 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I have ten million things I want to reply to. I'll just add I had a frustrating thing with DH this morning, in which he TAUNTED me for saying I was tired (since we woke up a bit more than usual last night and got up earlier this morning) as "you've used this excuse for the past 5 years" (?), and said that I was JEALOUS he was going out to an academic conference when I was grousing at him for not helping me out a little so that I could get a quick shower and some food before he left us alone for the day and it became harder to do that stuff.

No, but I am maybe jealous that occasionally you can wake up in the morning and just READ THE PAPER and selectively ignore the need to change diapers.

Which is to say, I'm sorry everyone has been having rough days, but knowing you are getting through yours is inspiration to try more gracefully to get through mine.
#138 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
I will get through the day with grace and style and humour.
Amen.
#139 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Thank you all so much! I was at such a low point when I posted. I am doing so much better now. I feel for all of you that are struggling with your dh. My dh was like that with the first two but he has become so much more in touch with the last two. He is even doing some EC with Dahlia which I never thought would happen. I am so grateful to have him because he is really helping me through this rough time. I had the mother's helper come yesterday. Here is her ad (almost too good to be true) http://eugene.craigslist.org/kid/469240790.html She came for three hours yesterday and played with Eavan the entire time. She took him to the park and then played play dough for 2 hours straight. She did all the imaginary voices and everything that we despise. He was so thrilled. He was so much calmer last night after getting his needs met. Phew!!! My dh wasn't home last night so it was so nice to be able to have a calm night. She helped me so much and changed the energy of our entire house. Even Dahlia was more calm last night with me not yelling all day long.

I am going to have her come every thurs (my worst day) and stay for four hours and play with Eavan and do some cleaning. (dusting and vacuuming) I am so excited to have found someone that didn't bat an eyelash when Eavan wanted to come home from the park to nurse. She was so cute with him and it just made me so happy to see him getting his needs met. I am so relieved.

Plaid~ I am so sorry that you are faced with your dh's resistance. Come here for any support you need even though its not the same. At least we can listen.
Forestry~ HOLY MOLY! I have been so scared of Eavan doing just that sort of thing. He threw a magnet at us day before yesterday and it almost hit her in the head. It is so scary. I am glad you are able to look at her pictures and see her for the little person she is. It is so hard for me to keep my perspective about how rough this must be for Eavan.
Sunshine~ I am thinking of you and your mom often. I wish you weren't faced with such tough decisions.
Minnow~Sleep deprivation is no joke. I got really close to non-functional after months and months of sleep deprivation with Eavan. I am so sorry your dh is being harsh.
beemama~Oh how I wish I didn't yell and freak out with Dahlia in the carrier. Eavan pushes me to the limit so often. I know that Dahlia was much more calm yesterday when I wasn't a wreck by the end of the day.

This parenting thing is never easy. I don't know how anyone has more kids or more kids closer together. I am just not cut out for it I think. Dahlia is our last baby for a reason. I do have a cranial sacral appt for myself today. I hope I can get back in balance and feel better over all. I am so damn grateful that I can even afford to do some of the self care things as so many can't.

Thank you all for being here! It means the world to me.
Wendi
#140 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 PM

I feel bad saying this, but I am so glad I am not the only one yelling, etc. My poor dd is only 21 months but boy is she pushing my buttons lately. This past week she realized how fast mommy jumps when she pokes or pinches the baby. I give her pretty free range with him, and only intervene when she starts to get really rough (like banging a wooden block on his head or her new favorite, placing her hand on his belly or head and then pushing with all her weight). AARGH!

She is finally over being sick, so at least that is over. She actually slept through the night several times this past week, which is a first ever for her! Cian still has fussy days here and there, and is still not liking being worn too much, so I feel bad because unless I have someone else here, dd doesnt get to do much. Luckily though he has been going down for several 4-5 hour strectches at night! I am still sick too, so I am sure that is not helping the situation. The nice thing is I am definitely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. For awhile I was really questioning having 2 this close together, but now, most of the times, I am glad....except I did have a dream the other night that I was pregnant again, with TWINS! In the dream I was like, oh they'll be 10 months apart....how fun:

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#141 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Lactivist: Wow, she sounds great. If Skybus flew out of Oregon I'd get her a ticket out here.....Yay for a relaxing day...

Man, dd1 is clamoring for me.....need to check back later....
#142 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD_Mom View Post
And how did YOU do when Aili slept from 10-4? Alasdair did this once this week, and I thought my boobies were going to explode. So painful.
NAK. Not too bad, but it only meant that she missed a 1 or 2 am feeding. I figure my boobs just dripped more than usual then to relieve the pressure.

Plaid: Do you feel like he's against AP or maybe just having difficulty adjusting to Yann? I know that my dh would get very frustrated to the point of not wanting to hold Aili b/c he felt like he couldn't please her and all she wanted was me. Of course, he is much less AP than me as I alluded to in an earlier post about his (over-)use of the pacifier.

lactivist: Good luck with the babysitter. Hope she's just as good in person.

And on a final note, can I just take a moment to say that my little girl gets cuter and sweeter everyday?
#143 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM

I will get through the day with grace and style and humour. - Plaid Leopard

I think I will add this to my list of mantras. Thank you.

I hope your dh gives you space to parent and comes to agree with you again. When a new member joins the family everyone needs to adjusts, not just the mom and her hormones. Remember, though are physical changes our not always comfortable they do help us prepare for mothering. ETA - I am reminding myself as much as anyone else. I am not preaching.

Lactivist, I wish that mother's helper could be cloned! My family might be better off with her than they are with me.

Sabo, Aili Faye is totally adorable.

Toddlers can be a bit intense with their love (and other feelings) can't they?

#144 of 466 Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 PM

Hope everyone is having a better day today. I spoke with one of the LC's from the group I saw right after we got home from the hospital, she's kind of like the senior LC with all the answers, haha. She called to do a follow-up, and I explained how I was still having pain. We have come to the conclusion that rapid let-down is the cause of all our problems. She thinks that it caused him to have a poor latch, which led to the thrush I had, and is still causing pain because he has developed bad habits from it.

I've only recently been able to feel the first let-down, and I had been taking him off until the spray lets up. After that he continued to pop off, typically stretching my skin like a rubberband before I can unlatch him fast enough because I'm not able to feel the multiple let-downs. If he's not doing that he's trying to control the flow with a shallow latch. So basically now I have to watch him like a hawk while he's nursing and take him off the minute he starts squirming so there isn't anymore damage. I'm not over-producing though, so I guess that's a good thing.

Plaid Leopard - I hope DH comes around and is more agreeable for you.

Minnow - I go through the same thing. Andrew wakes up to go work out in the morning and I get about an hour more of sleep before Liam is awake. When he gets home its always WAYYYY too much to ask for another hour of sleep while he takes care of Liam.

Greenmagick - I have crazy dreams like this too! They really make me kind of PO'd, lol The very first dream I gave birth again when Liam was 3 months, don't ask me how that works. The second I was pregnant again when he was 3 months. What's the deal with Liam being 3 months old in these dreams?

Lactivist - So glad you were able to find someone to help out, she sounds great!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#145 of 466 Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 AM

lactivist -
I'm glad the mother's helper worked out and that you are feeling better. My father was here for a week and he cleaned and took care of the older kids and it was so wonderful. It makes such a difference.

Minnow -
I hope you can get the sleep issues worked out. I can really relate to that. I think how nice it would be if I could just hop out of bed, go drink my coffee by myself, take my shower when I want... of course, if I got up at 5am after having nursed and changed Yann, maybe I could do all that, but then I would be a zombie by noon.

bhawkins -
I'm sorry you can relate to my troubles with dh, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

I don't know if DH read my last post or womething, but this morning when I came down with Yann he took him from me, sat down with him and talked to him for a long time. Now he is changing his diaper. Or maybe it is because he didn't see him at all yesterday. He left before Yann woke up yesterday morning, Yann was asleep when he came home, when he woke up later DH was playing a computer game with the other kids, and then Yann fell asleep again before DH came to bed.

Today I think I will go shopping! Not like I have any money to spend.. but I am dreaming of all these wonderful orgainc wool and cotton clothes to dress my kids in and soft wool blankets I would love to wrap them in, and I feel bad that I can't give them that. Well, I am grateful they have clothes and blankets, even if they aren't the ones I really want them to have.

Bright blessings to all of you today. You are a wonderful bunch of women and mamas!
#146 of 466 Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Hey! WHere is everybody?
#147 of 466 Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
Hey! WHere is everybody?
Here! Not much to report, except we went out to dinner with some former co-workers last night. Aili was pretty happy at first, however dinner was at a pub near a concert venue and there was a concert last night. It got pretty loud in there. She was sleeping in her sling as the volume increased, then woke up, was fine for about 10 minutes, and then became VERY upset. One of the co-workers kept asking dh, "Does she need a diaper change?" He said, "No, she's very tired and its too loud here." We were going to pay with credit, but had to make a run for it, leaving my friends with the bill. As soon as we were outside the building, she started to calm down. On the ride home, she was smiling.

On a slightly different subject, why is it that so few dining establishments have changing tables available? I've gone to the grocery store, an Indian restaurant, a family-centered ice cream shop, and this pub. I know that the grocery store has a changing table, but I haven't needed to use it yet. At least the Indian restaurant and pub had a big enough sink that I could put her changing pad on that to change her. I had to change her on the bench of a booth at the ice cream shop (and I really didn't want to change her diaper in the middle of an eating area, but I had no other choice besides putting her on the bathroom floor and that wasn't going to happen). What do you moms do when you discover that there are no changing facilities available?

Hey, I guess I had a little to report.
#148 of 466 Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 PM

We were gone to 'the big city" yesterday. (Okay, it is not so big but they do have a grocery store other than walmart, a bookstore other than walmart, a restaurant other than mcdonalds...) We met my parents for breakfast, hit some shops and then hung around my parents' house until dh's conference was over. There was plenty of downtime to just hang around and be held and they are very comfy at my parents house, can help themselves to snacks and such, and pretty much have the run of the place when we are there. When they want to go outside, my dad takes them, when they want to make doll clothes my mom does so. My parents are working hard to give my children good memories after realizing the memories I have of my grma. We are probably spoiled but they are doing it in a good way, not contradicting me, just being very generous of themselves. It is a 2 hour drive home and we made 4 stops just to settle the back seat. Linus apparently doesn't like the dark so we drove the last 45 min with the interior lights on. That makes it so hard to watch for deer but we are home safe and preparing for another week.

Another positive, I realized I could pull my jeans up and down w/o undoing them so I must have lost some baby weight and have moved down a size.

Between Plaid Leopard's "Grace, Style, and Humor" and my parents decision to stop parenting my children and just love them I am feeling a renewed ability to take a deep breath and smile (at least inwardly) before I respond to my children. It makes for a much more pleasant day all around. I still have to constantly tell myself to relax and get my shoulders down and back to loosen the tension but I am feeling much better right now.

Sabo, I tend to change the babe in the van or on the stroller if I have one of those with me. If I was in the situation you describe I would have changed him in the booth too.

#149 of 466 Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Plaid leopard: Glad to hear your DH is doing better. Mine has his good and bad days too. Yesterday we got to go spend the day together with just Georgia. The boys went to a football game with the grandparents and spent the day with them. It was really nice. It was good to have a chance to be out and about without the whole brood for a change.

mommajb: I just yesterday finally got into my pre-pregnancy pants too. these last few pounds just don't want to budge, but I'll keep hoping. Last go round I was much more vigilant about exercising and thus lost the weight much quicker.

The last two nights Georgia only woke once between 9-5:30 to nurse. Between her and DS (2.5) getting up it's been really choppy. It is so nice to finally get some nice long stretches of sleep. It's making me feel much better and far more functional!
#150 of 466 Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM

mommajb, you're in my neck of the woods, right? I'm wondering if the "big city" you came to was mine (maybe not...) glad your parents are being so good and you're relaxing. pm me if you are going to be in my city and want to meet up ever.

Plaid Leopard, good for your husband! I know how you feel about wishing you could provide organic everything for your babes but feeling grateful for what you have.

Sabo, I've changed the babe on my lap in the bathroom, but she was smaller and less wiggly then. I would have done what you did, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page