September 2007 mamas-Is it really November already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start the new thread. I can't believe it's Thanksgiving time already. The beginning of the holiday season. What are everyones plans this year with the new babe and all? We will be staying put in MS for Thanksgiving with dh's family. At Xmas we are going to Utah to spend it with my family. I'm really excited b/c I get to finally meet my niece who will be 7 months old and my bro and parents will get to meet Wyatt. This will be our first time travelling with two...two of everything! Two kids, two carseats, two sets of clothes (well actually four with dh and I!) It's going to be a lot. Maybe we can start sharing helpful travel and holiday tips with each other.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Oops. I accidentally replied on the October thread! I'll re-post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
Those are beautiful! Makes me want to get my butt in gear and actually take some nice photos of my kid. Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra_lea View Post
My stress right now is coming from vaccines! ... I wanted to ask all of you what your plans are. Anyone else struggling?
I ordered Dr. Sears' The Vaccine Book. I cannot WAIT to read it. A snippet of a review at Amazon: "For each disease, Dr. Sears lists the following questions: What is this disease? Is it common? Is it serious? Is it treatable? When is the vaccine given? How is it made? What ingredients are in the final solution? Are any of these ingredients controversial? What are the side effects? He then lists the reasons to get the vaccine, the reasons NOT to get the vaccine, travel considerations and his own opinion. These are exactly the questions that I wanted answered."

I won't have it until DS is 9 weeks old or so, but I'm sure that after reading it I'll have a better handle on the whole thing. My guess is we'll be doing selective/delayed.
#3 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

FRIDAXSKY-I saw your post on another thread and just wanted to say that I can't believe Ezri is 11 weeks old!! Wow! And she looks wonderful, so do you! I haven't seen you around in awhile so I just wanted to say 'hey'!

ATD-That book sounds great and very informative. I love ALL the Dr. Sears books, I have many.

DEBRA- I don't vaccinate. I've done a lot of research and I just don't feel it is right for my children. To me the risks of vaccines do not outweigh the benefits. JMO for MY family.

#4 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=takebirthback;9599436]FRIDAXSKY-I saw your post on another thread and just wanted to say that I can't believe Ezri is 11 weeks old!! Wow! And she looks wonderful, so do you! I haven't seen you around in awhile so I just wanted to say 'hey'!

Thanks! I can't believe it either! I took her into work today - had to meet with a few other teachers to plan my return - and people couldn't believe how big she was. She's come such a long way.

As far as travel tips, we've never been on a plane with her, but have gone to visit our families over night about 1.5 hours away on several occasions. The biggest life savers for us have been 1) DH having his own pouch sling. When we're away from home, it makes me feel better to know that we can hold Ezri close so she has some familiar surroundings. It's also great for being in large groups of people. Our family always wants to hold her and pass her around (okay sometimes but not when she is crying to be fed and Grandma just says "Oh it's just gas." but when she is in the pouch, people are less inclined to ask to hold her or to get in her face. 2) We bought an Eddie Bauer travel bed from Target. We didn't have our Moses basket when she came home from the hospital and we cosleep so we didn't have a bassinet so we ran out and grabbed one just so she would have somewhere to nap during the day. Now, we take it home with us all the time since she naps better laying down but we can put it anywhere so she stays close. It folds up and has a carrying strap so it's a great way to travel. 3) If you use cloth diapers, wool is GREAT to travel with! We do mostly fitteds with covers - mainly wool. It's so easy to throw a few pairs of longies in the bag with her diapers instead of packing a bunch of covers to go under pants. Wool is warm enough or cool enough, plus it doesn't have to be washed unless it gets soiled so it holds up for a few wears.

With the holidays fast approaching, what are those of you that celebrate Christmas doing for gifts? We're already getting asked what to get Ezri and I don't know what to say. We're not into all of the plastic toys with lights and batteries - which is exactly what people want to buy. I don't want to be rude to people who are generous enough to want to buy her a gift, but I also don't want a house filled with plastic toys that she probably won't play with. What are you all doing?

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#5 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 PM

Afternoon...

Just got back from seeing mom at the hospital. Took Lilah with me and dd1 stayed home to play with then neighbor and her niece who is a year older. They are going to keep mom under another week and then I spose we will go from there....I try to not dwell on it but it's hard....we're paying our bills, most of her bills as my sister lives with her and only works pt right now and is looking for ft hours but doesn't make enough to support the whole mortgage and bills..

The clutch is going on the car and has been but we don't have the $ to fix it so we have been driving it here and there and someone is coming to look at it tomorrow but since we have been driving it, we may need an additional part....Dp can gets parts at cost but if we need the other part, that's an additional $600...:
an
Trick or treating was fun....DD1 was a super cute dino (bronto) and loved going from house to house. We went to my old neighborhood to see old friends..We just went up one side of the street and down the other sided. Some ppl told her she could take 4 pieces bc she was sooo cute but she still took one. Her step sister was with us and took handfuls of the candy.....I didn't want to start a scene with her so I let her and Dp go ahead of us a few steps....She'd get a nice piece of candy and yell about it like she had never seen candy before....Dp got tired of it and her not listening so he took her back to the car...after a few "warnings"....So, dd ended up with about 15 pieces of candy, a few fruit rollups, some boxes of raisins and a few cardstock ghosts with dimes on it. We went to a few houses that gave her an apple bc we knew them and they know she likes them. When we got home, she picked out the raisins, ghosts, apples and a few tootsie rolls and handed the candy over to daddy and I to share.....

Lilah was in her MT and had a bee cap on that was her big sister's 3 years ago....everyone loved her and some of the women wanted to know where I got the carrier but I didn't have the WAHM card on me...drat!

Christmas: Money is so tight this year I don't know what we are going to do...it's looking pretty bleak right now....Dp is taking a payroll advance at work to pay for the car parts. I am going to sew some teething dolls (waldorfy but not waldorf...lol) for her and go through some of big sister's things stored away to gift new to her....I do have a longie set coming that I spent too much on but had to have and it's the only NEW thing I've bought her so I splurged....but above that....there just isn't money....Things we did for dd1 were pretty wooden rattles, some cute outfits, pretty blankets and a bear. HTH

Vaccines: My brain is such mush right now...I actually started a thread over in selective/delayed saying my brain was mush asking for help....

I am not doing the Rotovirus...it's too new and she's not around other children besides her sister who just goes to dance with 4yos on mondays....I think I would worry about it more if she were in daycare. I don't I am doing the Hep B either. She's not at risk for it. I had the Hep vax when I was in college bc I couldn't do my nursing clinicals without it.

I will be doing the DTaP....ONLY bc there are too many cases of Whooping Cough going around here right now. It's all over dsd's school right now....

I am unsure about polio....

Luckily, my ped is ok with delayed/selective....so I will chat with her at the 2mo appointment on the 5th about how we are going to proceed and see what she thinks...... I'd love to have a copy of the book by Sears...Maybe I can ask for it for Christmas.....the waitlist for it at the library is at least that long bc you can renew 2 times (about 56days)

Cian: Your pics are beautiful...I know you can't read this but your mommy can tell you.....I LOVE 3, 5, 10 and 12!!!!!

Mighty: Thinking about you....got your PM...tryin to carve out some time!!!

Travel: We haven't gone far yet but when we do go out, I've used wool covers over my fitteds....bc they can go through a few wears....

Holidays: We are doing Thanksgiving at our house this year. My sister will be here, along with MIL, SIL/BIL (i don't know if he'll have his boys this year or not)...Nothing big and fancy.....just doesn't seem right while mom can't be here. Need to get her recipes from the house though.

Alrighty......

Need to get some laundry out of the dryer, help dd pick up her toys and try to pump a bit. Lilah seems to sense this though in her sleep and just as I am finishing, she wakes up and wants to nurse and gets frustrated...... but settles in and gets a second letdown.....
#6 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
With the holidays fast approaching, what are those of you that celebrate Christmas doing for gifts? We're already getting asked what to get Ezri and I don't know what to say. We're not into all of the plastic toys with lights and batteries - which is exactly what people want to buy. I don't want to be rude to people who are generous enough to want to buy her a gift, but I also don't want a house filled with plastic toys that she probably won't play with. What are you all doing?

Well our families are both small and barely buy anything for my kids so it really isn't worth even trying to talk with them about plastics and recalls etc. Some of our family asks us for lists and I just put down exactly what I want them to buy. I am done shopping for Eavan and Dahlia because I got in on a great wooden toy coop here on MDC. I am almost done completely with all my shopping. Have to finish up the older kids and hubby. I am giving family portraits to most of our families. Good luck getting people to not give plastic/loud toys. It has been a struggle over the years.
Wendi
#7 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM

We selectively vaxed the first two and then stopped and Eavan and Dahlia are unvaxed.

My MIL is coming for four days at Thanksgiving. It should be interesting if nothing else. I think we are just staying home and relaxing for the winter holiday.
Wendi
#8 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM

i've been reading a lot but not really posting.

roisin will be 2 months old on tuesday, and i can't really believe that time has gone by so quickly.

she was a penguin for halloween and so frikkin cute!

she's got such a lovely demeanor that it's really been a joy to just get to know her.

we're delaying/selectively vaxing her. she hasn't gotten any yet, and probably won't until 6 months or so.

i'll post new pics later when i get them on my blog. for anyone who would like to read her birth story that i finally finished: www.leanbh.vox.com.

the holidays will be spent here. we basically told everyone that they would have to come to us if they'd like to spend time with us at the holidays. i'm not taking a four month old on a plane at christmas. i don't even like to take myself on a plane at christmas.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#9 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Hi. I know its been a while. I am always checking up to see how everyone is doing, but don't get much chance to post. While pregnant, I was [just took a break to change a poopy diaper. Now, where was I?] Like I said, while I was pregnant, I was in front of a computer all day. Now, I am not. So, Aili lives on a 48 hour schedule. One day, she is awake all day long, eating, eliminating, cooing, eating, growling . . . the next day she sleeps and wakes for little snacks all day long. I think she may have a dairy allergy, so I'm in the process of cutting out all milk and cheese. Seeking a good milk substitute is difficult. I don't want soy milk and hemp milk was gritty. Rice milk is a little weird tasting [NAK] and almond milk has an unpalatable nutty aftertaste. I'm gonna try oat milk tomorrow; I hope I like it. She got a rash on her face that is now clearing, but is still peely, more spit-up, and some mucousy (but still yellow) stool; that's what suggests a dairy allergy to me. I can't believe that she'll be 2 months old this Sunday! Here she is at 4 weeks and this one too.

ATD_Mom: Let us know how the vaccination book is. We are planning delayed vax, ideally beginning when she is 2 yo, but haven't done nearly enough reasearch yet.
#10 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
Cian: Your pics are beautiful...I know you can't read this but your mommy can tell you.....I LOVE 3, 5, 10 and 12!!!!!

He says to say thanks!!! Its funny because he tends to be pretty fussy, but he LOVED modeling for his aunt eRin

Vaccinations I dont do any. Originally I had thought to delay, but my gut kept telling me to go vax free, so thats what we are doing, for now anyways

Holidays and presents I have no idea what to do for Cian this holiday season: I celebrate Yule, but dd birthday is usually that day. We do christmas with the family. DD is getting a wood kitchen from grandma, so a lot of her presents will be accessories for that.

I dont know, what do you get a 3 month old!

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#11 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I dont know, what do you get a 3 month old!
I got Dahlia a couple wooden teethers and grasping toys and will get her some sort of stuffed something. I think the only thing she really wants is a boob.
Wendi
#12 of 466 Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 PM

Thats what I was thinking.....boob and fresh diapers. Hmm, that gives me an idea....I need to convince DH that we should get him diapers for Xmas That way I can get some more fun ones!!

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#13 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking.....boob and fresh diapers. Hmm, that gives me an idea....I need to convince DH that we should get him diapers for Xmas That way I can get some more fun ones!!

That's what we're thinking! Not the boob part - she's already got two of those. I need to order a dozen or so Swaddlebees pockets for daycare so I'm thinking that those will get wrapped up and that will be her gift from us. I just can't see spending a bunch of money when she's so tiny. We might also buy the extra parts to convert her crib into a twin bed. She will probably not be spending much time sleeping in the crib, but it would be nice to have a twin bed to cosleep in her own room.

Those that mentioned clutching toys - we just bought Ezri the Haba Kringelring and she LOVES it! Even if she is really upset, all we have to do it shake it in front of her and she is instantly mezmorized. I'm thinking of getting a few more of the wooden rattles and clutching toys.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#14 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Sabo. Good to see you! Aili is so adorable..those cheeks!!

This Christmas we are getting ds1 a small wooden kitchen that will fit in this space next to our kitchen. He loves to help and I think he's ready for his own deal (he'll be two in Jan). To even out the domestic side of this gift, dh wants him to also get a small wooden tool bench with tools. I can't give my son too many girly toys without also giving him some "masculine" ones. Lol. And that will be about it. I don't have a ton of space, nor do I want to overdue it. Plus, mil will be overdoing it. so what I have been doing, is steering her in the right direction of wooden toys, NOT made in China. She is actually all game for this b/c of all the recalls lately of plastics. So it has worked out nicely for me. My Mom also knows better then to get ds1 a bunch of plastic crap and as for fil, well he's a lost cause. The kids get whatevers at Walmart. But I can always get rid of it later, and will.
And as for ds2 who will be three months at Xmas, I will do as Lactivist is doing and get some teething toys a new soft rattle. But not much else.
We will be out of state on actual Xmas and will not be bringing much with us. maybe a couple of books.
So that's our plan.

#15 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Hi Everyone! Hope all of you had a Happy Halloween!
We had a decent one. We didn't get a chance to carve our pumpkin but we were given a onsey pumpkin outfit by a neighbor for Marshall. It was still a little big but cute none the less. I look forward to dressing him up next year!

In weight news, Marshall weighed in at 8 lbs 12 ounces on Tues. 8 ounces in 7 days. He's moving at his own pace that's for sure. The week before he gained 8 ounces in 4 days. The doc wants to give us a break and come in for the next check in 10 days, next Friday. We are still using the Haberman bottle but I'm putting him to the breast more often. He's definetly sucking better although he still gets sleepy. He also fusses sometimes and I believe it has to do with the spray. If anyone has any experance with this, I'd love to hear what you did to make babe more comfortable with this or do they just get use to it.

As for VAXs, luckily I didn't have to get into it with our doc at our 2 month b/c he recommended a delay until DS has some more weight on him. He said he recommends the DTaP and Meningitis b/c of local outbreaks of Whooping Cough and Meningitis. I'm thinking of delaying further. All of these shots make me nervous. If we were going into a day care situation, it would be different. But than what if????
The doc also recommended that we all get the flu shot. I told him my husband and I have never gotten the shot. I may talk to DH about the possibility of him getting it since he will be working out in the public this winter.
I saw that the Sears' book was coming out. I think I may try to get it myself. In the other books I've read of theirs, they seem straight forward and honest.

Holidays: We usually go to MI to see my Dad for Turkey Day and we usually drive. 10 hours in the car isn't an option this year and my Dad just visited us so I think we'll be home and go to some family members house as no one is expecting us to do any big holiday hosting.
Christmas time will be celebrated with differnt family members near, on and around the holiday. The 12 days in a way. My DH and I don't get all hard core for one day, it's too much. And it sounds like folks are coming to us from out of town.
As for gifts, I have no idea!!!!
I want DH to talk to his family about gifts and let them know we are going real minimal this year. His Mom and Sister always give us tons of gifts. It's way too much, very thoughtful but too much and we can't compete, especially this year.

Ok gotta go... babe just woke up!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#16 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 04:32 PM

My first post on here. Here's a holiday photo of Gavin.

He gave me his first real social smile this morning! It made me melt and cry. So cute! I can't wait to have more!:

I am choosing the non-vax route due to mine and DH's allergies. There is a Swedish study linking allergies to vaccines. Our family Dr. recommends that we don't vaccinate. I have to do everything possible to keep this little guy allergy free. I don't want him to have the serious ones that I have, like to peanuts and fish and bee stings.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#17 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM

For thanksgiving we'll be spending it in Conifer with DPs family & Xmas will be in Oklahoma with my family. I have relatives scattered across the US so we all decided to meet in OK for this Xmas so we can all catch up and they can see DD! I'm very excited for her to meet the rest of her family.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#18 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Argh - I still can't keep up with you all!

I responded about vaccinations on the old thread. But for those who didn't see it -
We will not be vaccinating Yann. Our first was partially vaxed up to 4 months, dd has had one tetanus shot and ds2 is vax free. I feel like I would rather take my chances with the actual diseases - and the likelihood of any of my children actually catching them, or suffering complications from any of them is slim. Plus there are sooo many new vaxes on the schedule these days, and we don't really know if they are effective, or what the long-term effects on our childrens' health is.

I recommend reading, lurking and asking questions on the vaccinations board here for those of you who are undecided. I wish that I had researched the diseases and the vaxes more before having ds vaxed.
I also found the books How to Raise a Healthy CHild in Spite of your Doctor by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn ( a bit outdated but has some useful info) and Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide by Aviva Jill Romm to be very helpful in making my decision.

Christmas -we are going to the ILs in France for a week or 2. Not sure what Yann will be getting for Christmas. Not much probably I've already put aside some of my other dc's old toys for Yann's birthday presents next year...

Yann has a stuffy/runny nose and a bit of a cough. I don't know if he is getting a cold, is allergic to all the dust in our house, or is reacting to dairy or something else I am eating.
#19 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 09:12 PM

My baby is sleeping in her sling in my arms - this is the second time I've pulled this out recently and I wish I'd remembered it sooner. The first time she screamed but now she's happily sleeping and I can type with 2 hands! I've had to get up twice and dance around a bit to get her back to sleep.

Kavya is 7 weeks old as of yesterday. She's smiling sooo much and studying people's faces. She has also discovered that her fingers are fun to suck on, but can't of course keep them in her mouth for very long. She doesn't like her arms swaddled anymore, but in order to fall asleep, someone has to hold her arms or she gets frustrated. Her stomach is still bothering her now and then and most of the past week she's had her day and nights confused, but that is gradually getting better. Whew I can't believe how much she has changed in just a month.

Holiday gifts - I'm thinking of getting her one of those playmats. She already likes to hang out in her crib by herself (for short moments of time) and stare at the wall so I think in another month and a half, she'll be ready for more stimulating stuff.
#20 of 466 Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Wow, looks like I missed a lot! We're about 99% moved into our new house, we got internet today finally. Liam will be 2 months in less than a week, hard to believe so much time has gone by already! He has doubled his birth weight as well, so around 14lbs now.

Halloween was a lot of fun, my 2 nieces (4, 3) and 2 nephews (6, 4) all went tricker-treating together and came over to our new place. I made bags for them with different fun stuff from the dollar store. My brothers took more of the candy than the kids did We didn't dress Liam up but we'll definitely be making up for it next year.

Andrew is gone this weekend to help with ROTC since they're doing field training, I'm kind of looking forward to getting more of the bed to myself and Liam. We got some interesting news that hasn't been confirmed yet, supposedly the 500 cadets selected for reserves/national guard could be pushed back into active duty. That would mean Andrew could be going active duty and we pretty much moved for nothing, luckily the Army has a policy of getting us out of our lease if need be. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but the prospect of having a more secure plan is appealing, as well as moving to a new (and perhaps warmer!) state.

I had PP bleeding that started right after my 6 week mw visit. I'm thinking the exam had something to do with it because I had a pap, and it lasted about 8 days. I'm also taking the mini-pill. After spending the last 7 years on birth control, I have to say this method is the one I'm most satisfied with. I haven't experienced any side-effects compared to other methods, which ranges from bc pills to depo-provera (yuck) to the patch. I wasn't comfortable at this point not having a bc method since I got pregnant on the first try after only dtd once that entire month, it seems if we even mention the word sex I might end up pregnant

As for vaxing, I started out thinking we would do delayed/selective but the more I read and learn about them I'm leaning toward not vaxing at all. At this point I would rather take precautions to avoid exposure to anything rather than subject him to vaccines.

Holiday gifts: We have made suggestions to everyone that books and clothes are what we need. We informed family that plastic gifts are probably not a good idea because of the lead recalls, and most of them understand unless they've been living under a rock (wouldn't put that past my mil). Andrew and I probably won't be doing much for each other because money is tight, though I will probably get him a little something. For Thanksgiving we're going to the West Point/Highland Falls area here in NY to visit the IL's and whoever else makes it up. Can I say I'm NOT looking forward to it. Christmas is still undecided, we talked about going to Maine to visit Andrew's grammie and papa and having all the family there meet Liam. Not looking forward to that either

What is with babes who break suction and narrow their latch toward the end of a feeding? Liam has taken up doing this and its getting incredibly annoying. I take him off after he starts doing this but sometimes it happens maybe 5 minutes into it? He seems to hate keeping his mouth wide after he has begun eating, any suggestions?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#21 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 AM

Oh, why me ? I got another baby with some very high needs, and I'm wiped out. He has started a crying ritual at night that goes on for 45 minutes to an hour, and he has stopped sleeping deeply during the day. The nights do seem to be getting better as a result, but my days are exhausting, and I don't get to spend nearly enough time with dd. He won't even stay asleep in the mei tai. I suspected it was a growth spurt, but he doesn't want milk, just to suck. So, I'm stuck in the chair nursing since I can not getting nursing in any of my carriers down .

We will not be vaxing, at least not now. There are a couple I might allow later on, but for now, no way. We experienced some negative side effects with dd and stopped vax'ing around 9 months, even though its been a battle with the pediatrician.

Hope you are all doing well!
#22 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJJ334 View Post
What is with babes who break suction and narrow their latch toward the end of a feeding? Liam has taken up doing this and its getting incredibly annoying. I take him off after he starts doing this but sometimes it happens maybe 5 minutes into it? He seems to hate keeping his mouth wide after he has begun eating, any suggestions?

Kai did this for a while. It would help if I kept one hand on my boob gently squeezing it so he pretty muh had to keep his mouth open wide. I think he just get's tierd while nursing and his latch get's lazy. He either does it less now or I'm just not noticing it as much.

Here's Kai and Mike all ready to pass out candy...unfortunately we didn't get a single trick-or-treater. I guess we're just too far from the village (though I really thought the kids across the street would pop over).

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#23 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 AM

Hi ladies!

My son Curran is 9 weeks old tomorrow. He has gained really well -- now 13.5 pounds from 6.15 on day 3 -- despite the fact that the BF journey has not been without bumps. Initially we used a shield per our LC due to serious lactch issues, weaned off it two weeks later (yea!), and have had a shallow latch and nipple compression (OUCH) ever since. Seems my guy has a receeded lower jaw, or tight frenulum, or both. Oh well, even with sore nipples I'll still nurse, and just hope that eventually it will resolve itself. Trying block feeding at the moment for gassiness and green poops.

Curran does almost all of his sleeping between midnight and noon (although of course this is broken up with nursing and diaper changes) and is AWAKE all day long. So, because he wants to nurse and cuddle and doze in my arms, and for some reason won't tolerate any of my carriers right now (slings or moby!), the dishes, laundry, phone calls, etc just have had to wait. Some day he will nap, right? He LOVES his Daddy to pieces, and loves to be naked!

We have been using CD exclusively, and I am so lucky that DP has taken on sole responsiility for washing them, because otherwise it wouldn't get done!
Fairly happy with the prefolds and wool covers, although we are going to try Bummis wraps now, as Curran has just about grown out of the current stash. Still trying to figure out what to do at night, as he usually gets his sleeper damp/wet and requires a total change of clothes after 3-4 hours -- uuggh. Continually amazed at how many dipes we go through -- 36 every 2 days or less!

Hope you all are still enjoying your babymoons!

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
#24 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Hi all!
I've been reading and lurking and mildly posting questions on other forums but over all, baby takes all my attention. I'm in school and currently not doing so well - I totally underestimated how difficult it would be, especially to be the type of student I was before being a mom. Like many babies here, Chaya wants to be in arms or on person all the time. She just started to be able to tolerate the swing while I cook dinner... so much safer than the moby or sling!

Chaya is 6 weeks today! Wow. She's grown 2 inches longer and I honestly don't know how much she weighs, but it's got to be over 10 pounds (she was an even 8 at birth) The kid's never been to the doctor. I feel slightly sheepish about this (especially since I freak out about EVERYTHING she's doing being normal or abnormal) but then again, our midwife is a pediatric nurse and she's our daughters health care provider, and she's not troubled by our lack of office visits so hey. Oddly, husband is not bothered by lack of visits (he says she's not sick so why should we )

As for vaxing, we're selectively vaxxing and delaying any shots at least till 2 months. Still reading up on the subject.

I think Chaya might have a touch of reflux. She's exclusively breast fed but has had some major spit ups where she soaks herself and me, and manages to get it on the floor/couch/etc. She's burpy and gassy... no regularity to her poops. I've been going easy on the wheat which seems to help, the only dairy I do is ice cream

For a while she was taking the bottle but now she seems done with it. No good since I have to pump and she needs to feed while I'm at school. Any suggestions? We need to try some new nipples. We've been using an Avent I got for free but the nipple is HUGE and I think she just doesn't want it anymore.

Forestrymom - I feel your pain. Chaya comfort nurses often, some nights all night. It's hard not to get frustrated that she's not eating. Sometimes dads little finger will do the trick, but not always. There still is no regularity to her days/nights - no baby schedule. She's so awake and aware all the time!: The mobiles are finally starting to interest her. We're signing to her even tho she can't sign back. I LOVE the sign for cat. That and "light" are used all the time.

The entire family (both sides) is coming for Thanksgiving. I really don't know what I was thinking.

We don't celebrate Christmas, but Channukah is coming early this year (December 5 is the first night, oy.) I'm baking cookies for all my friends and/or making beauty products. Dh's birthday is tuesday, he's getting a cake and ... well ... we have reached the 6 week post birth milestone so, you know.

time to go check on the baby! Happy november all!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#25 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Arelyn: Here's Kai and Mike all ready to pass out candy...

Oh. my. goodness. HOW CUTE!!!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#26 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM

I feel badly complaining about him, because he is so much easier than dd was, but between the reflux and his recent sleeping pattern during the day I just have to wonder sometimes why we couldn't get a "sleepy baby". Oh well...I guess if one isn't napping the other not napping should just be the norm, right?

He really wants to be an easy little thing, but everytime he starts to fall asleep he has to spitup or fart and it wakes him up. If we could figure out the tummy thing I think it would help. I haven't noticed a difference from the soy/dairy elimination yet, but its only been 5 days.

I can not imagine doing school and babies. I can't imagine going back to work either, so I'm hoping dh's new self-employment works out!

I am pretty sure he has cleared 11 pounds by now. He is such a little tanker. He can wear 3-6 month clothes already. I'm pretty sure Haylee wasn't wearing that size until she was 6 months! How can they be so different?

Here's a few pictures:

The pumpkins we carved and the whole family. Sorry dh looks so mad. He never smiles for pictures. Must be the tough wrestler that he is:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2058/...9ff16b30_m.jpg

Waylon holding his head up for eternity--long enough for me to find the camera, get it out and snap the photo. He is so strong!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2087/...f24c9121_m.jpg

And Haylee's Halloween costume:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/...dbada501_m.jpg
#27 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Oh, I love the little ones dressed up for Halloween!!

So, after trying the variety of milk substitutes, oat milk is the winner. Its a little gritty, but much more quaffable than any of the other choices. However, Aili's cheeks looked a little rashy on her face and diaper area today, so I am thinking that it might be peanuts. I'll cut both for a couple of weeks then reintroduce dairy and then peanuts. I like peanuts, but I would really rather give them up than milk, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed . . . well I'd rather that the whole issue just resolves itself mysteriously, but if there has to be a food sensitivity, I'm hoping for peanuts. Now I've confused myself.

And, dh is making me crazy!! He is always putting the d***n pacifier in her mouth. I only want it used if I'm not available and she really wants to suck. Most of the time, she just wants to be carried, but he forgets about this and says, "I think she's hungry," when she just finished eating. Then he checks her diaper, which is clean and thinks that she just must want to suck on the pacifier. Its so easy to put her in a carrier and let her go to sleep, but he never thinks of it. Does anyone else deal with this? Gotta feed the girl.

ETA: Nope, wasn't hungry. Happily cooing right now, but I forgot to mention that Aili fell asleep last night at around 11:30 and did not wake for a feeding until around 5. Does that seem like a crazy long time to anyone? She didn't act like she was overwhelmingly hungry or anything, but I thought it was weird.
#28 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 05:02 PM

we're doing well! babe had an awesome night, night before last, slept a 5 hr stretch from 330 to 830a. but then woke with a stuffy nose and horseness, so i think she slept due to not feeling well. so, in a little over 8 weeks we've had 4 good nights LOL. but really, they are getting better!

she is somewhere between 9.5 and 10 lbs and is almost 9 weeks old.

we are going to go to a family member's house on thanksgiving, not sure which one yet though.

as for christmas, we are stearing anyway from all plastics and anything made in china if we can. but definitely NO plastics. DH found an article about someone that tested 3 kids toys for lead. one of them was one of those fake blood pressure cuffs, they are plastic, red, yellow and blue. anyway! it contained something like 30 or 300 times the amount of lead ALLOWED in paint. and kids chew on those things and wrap them around their arms, legs, heads, whatever. SOOOOO, a kids toy can have 30 or 300 time the amount of lead PAINT can have????? how is that right??

my kids are ok with this. we've discussed it and told them that lead poisioning can make them very sick. i know they'll be fine with it, but it's the grandparents i'm not so sure of. i have to send out an email today about it i think. and give a list of acceptable type gifts.
#29 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM

E is doing great! Had him weighed last week he was 11 lbs. 3.2 oz (8 lbs. 12 oz at birth). Also grew 1.5". He's 6 weeks old today!! I think he's going through a growth spurt! He's been asleep all day just about - only waking to feed then back off to sleep! I took dairy out of my diet to see if he has any improvement with a couple of things (talked about it in our ddc). This is only day 3...hasn't been bad so far. I keep thinking ahead to Thanksgiving and Christmas...gotta find some awesome dairy free recipes so I don't feel left out.

What are you ladies using at night? He's about to outgrow what we have. I change him about 3 times - he's usually soaking wet. Help!

Holidays... For Thanksgiving we'll be staying here. Parents may come for a visit...unsure yet. For Christmas we had planned on going to our hometown to visit (about 3 hours away)...but DH told me today that he only gets Christmas day off that whole week. I don't think I want to make the trip for just one day. I know our parents will be upset...don't know what we are going to do yet.

Presents E will only be getting a couple of things from us...wooden teethers, rattle, etc. Small things like that. We don't have any of our stuff from the older boys...so we thought he'd get some new. I hope/pray the family will get him some really cute diapers!
I plan on having the plastic talk with our families. I think they will understand. DS1 was just tested for metals: lead and mercury came back at toxic levels. So that just furthers our point.

On vaccinations We don't do it. My DS1 had a couple of shots...We actually see Dr. Stephanie Cave in Baton Rouge and she has told us NOT to give E shots. My DS2 didn't have any and neither will E.
Plaid Leopard recommended some good books to read up on. Also Dr. Cave has a book (haven't read it though).

Lindsay Loved reading your birth story...brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Sabo Precious pics of Aili!

Laura Love the picture of Gavin! He looks so big up next to the pumpkin!

Plaid Leopard Hope Yann is feeling better!

Katie Glad the move went well!

Forestrymom Many s Love all the pictures! The family one is sweet! He looks so big and strong in the second one! Jewell was a pretty fairy!

arelyn What a cute picture!!

Hope you are all doing well! Love seeing the pictures...I'll get some new ones up soon. E smiles all the time! Just melts my heart! My dad is coming today so need to go do some stuff! Have a great weekend everyone!
#30 of 466 Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Sites for non-plastic toys -

Ooompa
http://www.oompa.com/

Anyone have any others? I know this one is pricey, but it does have some really nice toys.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page