May 2007 Mamas ~ It's November! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I'll go look at mine and come back and tell you!

ETA: You go to Buddy List, then click the Add Buddy button. It brings up a window that says insert nickname or email. My nickname is Maggirayne, surprise!
*Note* no 'e' at the end of Maggi.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#302 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, I'll try to do that now. I got 10 books requested today - I think I am abit overwhelmed by PBS right now!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#303 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Hey mamas I spent the weekend in Boise to visit my BFF and her kids while her DH went out of town for the weekend. I had a blast but way too exasted from flying alone with Sebastian!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#304 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 PM

We are back from seattle. We now have a baby with 2 teeth and he can crawl :.

Hope everyone is doing well. Barraka, growing yourself always helps grow your child. Even if it seems overwhelming and tiring.

Now you all are going to get me hooked on something else. I am going to sign up for the paperbook swapper.

Mom of 3.
#305 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone esle have a toothless, food-less, non-moving baby still? I do

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#306 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
Ooh, I do! Well, he sits, can get up on all fours and rock, he scooted backward yesterday, but definitely no crawling or standing No teeth or food, either.
#307 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mine sits very well - I call it his one trick

#308 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Cool, I'll try to do that now. I got 10 books requested today - I think I am abit overwhelmed by PBS right now!
Lucky you! Yeah, it can be busy. I always saved mailer envelopes, they were handy. Paper bags work for bigger books too.

Quote:
Anyone esle have a toothless, food-less, non-moving baby still? I do Mine sits very well - I call it his one trick
How funny, Megan. My apt is so not ready for a crawler! She's sitting up and grabbing stuff off the coffee table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGroom View Post
Now you all are going to get me hooked on something else. I am going to sign up for the paperbook swapper.
If you sign up thru the link in my previous posts, I get a credit for referring you.: It is one of those things I love telling other people about.

#309 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! I Wish I had known you would get a credit. I don't think I can get you the credit retroactively because I just typed in the url and signed up. Opps.

#310 of 465 Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 PM

Akasha is all over the place!

Oh my goddess!!

The end of an age is over and the era of exploration has begun.... we are having so much fun with her .... she's just so cool. She can really get around!

I am preparing my life and work and spirit for retreat in December. Women have signed up to study my curriculum through next year, so that and dance classes are ligned up for Jan. What a blessing! I have 2 more groups to manifest... a Jungian based dream study group and a therapeutic writing group. I am aflutter with creative energy.

I'll miss all of you in December.... there's no Internet at the cabin where I'll be writing... it's secluded .... it's going to be so Mermaid Chair by S.M.Kidd....

Grace Comes.

#311 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Pretty much me - wait, do you mean not rolling too? Sam's a rolling fool and did pop up onto hands and knees this weekend, but doesn't know what to do with it from there. No teeth and the drooling has gone away, so he may follow the footsteps of his sisters instead of his brother - all 3 girls were over a year before they had teeth and I think DS1 was around 7-8 months. He has had about 3 opportunities to suck on a banana and 1 bite of avocado.

In other Sam news, he had a checkup today. He's 16 pounds even and still 27 inches and has, according to the NP, "fallen off the growth chart." Sixteen pounds doesn't seem that small to me for 6 months (he's close to double his birth weight) and he's doing great, so I'm not worried and the NP wasn't either.

We ARE concerned about DS1 - he has what appears to be staph in his diaper area. My first thought was allergic because it popped up so fast and was bumps and he had just used a new training diaper, then I thought bed bugs or fleas because it does kind of look like bites (thought of that thanks to here lol), and then I thought chicken pox because he has a few in other "hot" spots on his body, and the NP said it could have started as one of those (well, not CP), but now looks like it has staph. Poor little butt.

Oh, and I think my hairdresser was WRONG. I have combed, treated, and combed again and again my hair and found nothing. None of my kids have it either. I haven't gone back to him yet, but I need to soon because I have to curl my hair every day or you can see that it is uneven. And when I curl it, it gets big, which is so not me. I only live in Texas, I don't resemble Texas
#312 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Nope, I've got a toothless, sitting, crawling, standing, CRUISING baby who today ate dirt out of my houseplants and swiped his big sister's peanut butter sandwich and a blue marker. : Interestingly, he seems to not like much real food (by that I mean solids).

It seems I've really got to pay more attention; finding the peanut butter sandwich in his mouth was a bit freaky. Thankfully no allergic reaction.
#313 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 02:27 AM

Kiran has a tooth!

Stilln ot crawling, boy does she want to.

Took an overnight in the big city (KC, ha ha) at a swanky hotel. Kiran loved the swimming pool. MIL wondered if we could get both the girls into swimming lessons at the same time.
#314 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 AM

We're working on tooth number SIX here.... am I the only one with a whole mouthful of teeth?? No crawling, no pulling up, and barely rolling. By barely I mean, look out if she's on a soft surface, but if you lay her on the floor she'll just lay there and cry. *sigh*
But, we had a night-time breakthrough last night. She woke at 5am to nurse, then I put her back in her crib (I usually bring her to bed) and she was still awake, groggy, but eyes open and droopy and she went to sleep on her own! yay!!!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#315 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM

EFPookie-- What do you do for staph in the diaper area? It sounds bad. and WOOT! on no bugs!

Mickey has a diaper rash. I washed his diaps in Gain. I knew better, but I thought I'd try it anyway to see if it was a fluke last time. Apparently it wasn't. I need a detergent! Purex is *alright*, but not great. All free & clear or concentrate doesn't work. Dreft doesn't work. Anyway.

A while ago we were talking about stupid things we've done that resulted in potential injury to our babies. I have one now. I was holding Mickey while cooking (actually, I think I did this the day after emiLy's post about risking that) & yeah, he burnt his little fat hand on a giant pot of rice . Then over the next week and a half *EVERYBODY* noticed & asked about it and I had to recount my awful parenting over and over and over. Sometimes you do just have to laugh

Krystal! Tooth #6! That's crazy. We still have no teeth here. Mickey has only rolled over maybe 4 times. He loves sitting and will now rock & lean foword. He wants to crawl so badly. As much as I want him to be my "little" baby forever I want him to crawl so he can be happy. He's actually bored right now. GTG

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#316 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
EFPookie-- What do you do for staph in the diaper area? It sounds bad. and WOOT! on no bugs!
She gave me an antibiotic ointment - wrote for Bacitracin, but they gave the generic, the name of which elludes me. It is clearing right up, phew.

Oh, and I have a bad parenting moment that I'm still not quite brave enough to post. It ended up okay, but it could have been so very bad.
#317 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM

sheesh! i have so much trouble keeping up with you all! first, about ezra...

Quote:
he's moving, albeit slowly, but he's definitely toothless & foodless....and hairless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
.... there's no Internet at the cabin where I'll be writing... it's secluded ....
this sounds so lovely! there are days when i just want to turn off the computer but i'm an addict. i'm seriously considering computer-free days, though....

i love reading about all your educational adventures! i'm definitely not a professional student but i love learning! i have a BSN & worked as a nurse for 10 years & started another undergrad degree in holistic nutrition but never finished. i've contemplated midwifery my entire professional career but it just seems like such a huge committment. since i'm already a nurse, it would only take me 2 more years but i really think my family would suffer. so....i'm this/close to having my doula certification & then i can start on my childbirth education stuff. i have all the work sitting behind me on a shelf but i'm stubborn & won't start it until i've finished my doula exam.

ewins, was it you that posted about the loss of your friend? i've been lifting her family up in my prayers. what a tragic loss....it brings tears to my eyes thinking of those children without their mother.

stephanie asl.gif

#318 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'll also have no internet from mid-December until mid-January. I might be snowed in for days at a time even. My mom's house is way, way out and I'll omly have internet if I visit her store or go to someone else's house

#319 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I'll also have no internet from mid-December until mid-January. I might be snowed in for days at a time even. My mom's house is way, way out and I'll omly have internet if I visit her store or go to someone else's house
What ever will we do?

I do think a touch of computer addiction has been some of the fallout of motherhood for me.... I'll probably go through a few days of withdrawl but then feel like a million bucks..

Grace Comes.

#320 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
What ever will we do?

I do think a touch of computer addiction has been some of the fallout of motherhood for me.... I'll probably go through a few days of withdrawl but then feel like a million bucks..
Computer *addiction* indeed. I know everything goes better & more gets done when I wait to turn the computer on until after 2pm. . .

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#321 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:

I'm with you! No teeth, no food, and while she CAN roll from back to front, she doesn't like to very often. She is pushing straight up onto her arms now, though, and she can sit unassisted. But, really, she's just BIG. Not roly-poly big, just long and lean and big for her age, I think. She was born 6/1 BTW, so I'm always at least a few weeks behind everyone elses in terms of developmental milestones. I trust her internal clock.

treehugger.gif
#322 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 PM

Forgot to mention, I woke up with AF this morning. I had been feeling some mood swings the last couple of weeks, but I had chalked it up to stress with DH being out of work and his deciding to take the LSATs in a few weeks. Guess not .

I was nursing Iris in bed this morning when I realized she was here...we were laying there all sleepy and I just started to cry and offered a prayer of thanks to the Universe. It feels like a relief for me, like a sign that my pre-mama self and my mama self are, at least on a physical level, learning to co-exist. I was talking with a friend who is a yoga teacher on Sunday and she mentioned how, after a birth, we as women really need to "re-claim" our uteruses (uteri?) after loaning them to our babes for nine months. That this is true literally, physically, but also mentally and emotionally. I guess I was more ready for that than I thought.

It feels amazing to know that our bodies are capable of so much at once!

treehugger.gif
#323 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post

When is the pincher grasp supposed to start? Henry totally doesn't have that.

What is everyone using for shoes? I finally got some that fit Henry's fat/tall feet. Pedoodles wouldn't go on, Pedipeds not even close, and wide JoShoes didn't work either. So I did a tracing of his feet and sent those to Jody at JoShoes and yay! they fit!! I just needed something to keep his feet warm when we go outside without his super crazy warm bunting - just socks aren't warm enough. These are so cute, leather with fleece lining.

I am not sure when the pincher grasp is suppose to start Maggie has been doing it since she was 3 months old.

I love joshoes since my little one has boxcars for feet.

Quote:

Well we are toothless but Miss Maggie loves to eat and she is moving pretty well. Time to baby proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
It seems I've really got to pay more attention; finding the peanut butter sandwich in his mouth was a bit freaky. Thankfully no allergic reaction.
Maggie is eating a lot more food then I would give her. I turn my back and one of my kids is always giving her something or she is stealing it from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
We're working on tooth number SIX here.... am I the only one with a whole mouthful of teeth?? !
Yikes that is a mouth full. My kids never get teeth until close to a year.

Quote:
Computer *addiction* indeed. I know everything goes better & more gets done when I wait to turn the computer on until after 2pm. . .
HMM that sounds like a good idea. I do not think my boss would be receptive to that idea though.

Well we are on are way back to the dr. with my 8 year old. I am so sick of having sick kids.

Heidi
#324 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM

hey mamas-

quick question for you. we just got back from a trip to the east coast, and since the last plane ride, ds has been rubbing his right ear a lot. he's also having a tough time staying asleep the last few days and seems really uncomfortable.

how can i determine if he's just teething or has an ear infection of some sort?

he's drooling a lot, but thats nothing new. i can't see or feel anything different on his gums. he doesn't seem to have a fever. he's a little congested in the mornings, but thats nothing new either.

thoughts?
#325 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Elisabeth has her two top teeth, not the center but the next ones , I can feel the left and the right is visible under the gum. She's had a runny nose all week, but not fussy, so once again we were surprised.

Quote:
Mickey has a diaper rash. I washed his diaps in Gain. I knew better, but I thought I'd try it anyway to see if it was a fluke last time. Apparently it wasn't. I need a detergent! Purex is *alright*, but not great. All free & clear or concentrate doesn't work. Dreft doesn't work.
I have a recipe for homemade I got off the CD forum, haven't tried because don't know how it does w/HE machines. I"ll post it next.

Quote:
Oh! I Wish I had known you would get a credit. I don't think I can get you the credit retroactively because I just typed in the url and signed up. Opps.
You can, I've tried because I didn't know either when I signed up, and my best friend told me about it. They've never given her one, you can contact them thru Help. I ought to try again.

emiLy, did you sign up thru my link? I got a credit for an Emily Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
She gave me an antibiotic ointment - wrote for Bacitracin, but they gave the generic, the name of which elludes me. It is clearing right up, phew.

Oh, and I have a bad parenting moment that I'm still not quite brave enough to post. It ended up okay, but it could have been so very bad.
Mupirocin is the generic name, I think, I used that when I had plugged ducts--it helps!

You've got me curious, but it must have been scary.

Quote:
Hehe computer addiction, I would get so much done if I didn't turn the computer on until E is awake and ready to nurse.

#326 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM

No teeth, no solids, but Claire is a crawling fool! I put her down in the lvr with us 5 min ago, she's in Lili's room now. I posted a video of her on myspace. (Yeah I know, I know, what about Facebook? Well, I think it sucks there Sorry!)

I think she's broken 15lbs now, which is so small compared to many of the babes here--but IRL I know a mama who has a (breastfed) 10m old who's not that heavy yet!

Guess we're doing Thanksgiving today, as dh requested to work on Thursday to get the time-and-a-half. It'll just be us, as my local friends are all busy and my parents are, well, mental. You'd think I'd have learned to quit being bitter about it by now...sigh.

Anyway. I have a cold this morning--EW. I hate being sick. I think it's a karmic kick in the @$$ for the pizza I ate last nite

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#327 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Ok, here goes:

A couple of weeks ago, I was really sick (even had a fever, which is VERY rare for me), so I was resting in my bed with the 2 youngest and the girls were downstairs watching cartoons. It was bedtime and the girls couldn't hear me, so I needed to run downstairs to get them, but didn't feel strong enough to carry Sam down and back up again, so I left him on the bed with Josh. This was pre-rolling, but post scootching. As I came back to the stairs, I could hear both of them crying and screaming their heads off, so I RAN up the stairs to find Josh holding Sam BY HIS HEAD with his body dangling, trying to keep him from falling off the bed. I think Josh might have been more scared than Sam even. My bed is very tall, about 3 feet off the ground, with linoleum tile floor (though thankfully not over cement like the downstairs). If Josh had lost his grip in the position he had Sam, the baby would have hit the back of his head against the hard rails of the bed and then the floor.

And that's my worst parenting moment ever that I can recall.

Oh, here's a good one too - last Sunday, I had the kids at church by myself because Dh had to leave early for a performance. I had taken Josh out because he was being disruptive and left Sam with a friend. Sam started crying, so I went back in to get him. Josh didn't want to go with me, so when I turned down the row, he kept going forward, but had my hand, so when I turned, he smacked right into the pew. Audible gasps from about 20 people behind us. Oy.
#328 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM

I feel like i'm spending so much time managing my pbs account and mailings that I don't have time to read! LOL Actually, I'm still working on Harry Potter #4 from the library and have #5 too. Henry isn't lingering while nursing lately, is napping VERY little, and most of the time tries to grab and eat a book if I dare try to read while nursing. So my reading time is limited even further now. But, Maggirayne, I requested a book from you!! MSAX, what's your nickname? Mine's emilyjo

Bad parenting (or should we say baby accidents? I mean, really, it happens to everyone.). A prediction. Our TV is sorta tippy right now. We will have a scare where Henry pulls up on the TV cabinet and it (hopefully only almost) falls over on him. There's no way to secure it now - it's too far away from the wall becuase of the heater and cords and stuff in the back. We need to figure something out though.

I'm on my computer a lot. I don't know if I'd call it an addiction. It's really important to me in many ways. I do usually put it away when I'm with my kids, because it either ends up me putting on the "kid safe" program for Henry to bang on the keyboard and try to crawl over the screen or me trying to read/do work and being unable to so I get frustrated with my kids and then I realize how stupid I'm being and get frustrated with myself. That being said, I get a lot of computer time because I do it when they're sleeping or when other people are with them. I have other people help me with my kids, so that's a luxury most of us don't have and I know that sometimes if you don't have help you have to just try to escape a little bit by getting on the computer and pretending to be an adult for 10 minutes.

I'm SO over school. I did it hard when I was in it, but I'm DONE. I have no desire to go back to writing papers or anything resembling going to school. MSAX I thought you were joking at first about becoming a doula, but you're not! It's a very cool thing to be - that and a midwife and a nurse and everything else as long as we love it.

We're going to be late to ice skating!

Oh - EC is harder and easier with the second one. I'm better at it, but I have less time so I just give myself a lot of slack and it's WAY more relaxing and fun this time around - just like everything else with the 2nd kid so far!

Henry is pulling up on furniture but can't stand by himself yet. I think if he did, I'd push him over. ROFL But I'm not joking, I really do think I would! He has 5 teeth and is working on more. I have given him apples, potatoes (that was genius I tell you!), and peas and he gobbles everything up. I got great video of Delia spoon-feeding him peas earlier today.

OK, now we're really going to be late!
#329 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 PM

Yay, I just wrapped your book to send! It's so handy how they have the labels printable, but getting printed, then wrapped can be challenging for me. I'm gonna find you and look at your bookshelf, whee!
ETA: Aw, your profile is private, so I can't see if you've got any books I want.

Yeah, I love reading and now she can grab the books it's harder.

Will post the detergent recipe later.: I gotta get outta here and mail my books.

#330 of 465 Old 11-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasaurus View Post
hey mamas-

quick question for you. we just got back from a trip to the east coast, and since the last plane ride, ds has been rubbing his right ear a lot. he's also having a tough time staying asleep the last few days and seems really uncomfortable.

how can i determine if he's just teething or has an ear infection of some sort?

he's drooling a lot, but thats nothing new. i can't see or feel anything different on his gums. he doesn't seem to have a fever. he's a little congested in the mornings, but thats nothing new either.

thoughts?
I wish I had the answer for you but I don't... just wanted to say that what I do when I don't know what's up is punch in my dd's symptoms in the online rubric @ www.abchomeopathy.com and narrow down homeopathic remedies from there. HTH and keep us posted!

Grace Comes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page