May 2007 Mamas ~ It's November! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 465 Old 11-23-2007, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally agree with Laura, what does your gut say?

My first reaction is to ask if it's the first time she's had banana? If it is, it could very likely be a reation to the banana. Could be any of the other things mentioned as well.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#362 of 465 Old 11-23-2007, 01:36 AM

I have no idea either, but I hope it's nothing. I probably would hold off on banana (or whatever else she ate today) for a while, and be aware when you feed it to her again. Unless you figure out it was something else. For what it's worth, greenish / not ripe banana is kinda hard on the tummy. Hopefully that's all it is!

We had a great low key Thanksgiving just the 4 of us. We gave Henry turkey AND sweet potato! He is such an eater, it's so funny/interesting/weird. And then Delia and I went ice skating on our pond!!! It was so fun.

I'm too tired to finish cleaning up the kitchen. Gonna hit the hay and deal with it in the morning.
#363 of 465 Old 11-23-2007, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
I'm too tired to finish cleaning up the kitchen. Gonna hit the hay and deal with it in the morning.
Finish? Are you kidding? We barely started! A full Thanksgiving day isn't enough, getting the girls to bed is like half a day's work. It beat us both, so dh was sleeping in the bed w/dd1 while I struggled in the living room to get up and hand off sleeping Kiran.

Anyway, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving, we have so much to be thankful for. Now I suppose I ought to go to bed.
#364 of 465 Old 11-23-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
I got the kitchen done this afternoon, but just snoozed my way through 3 hours of work. That last job took forever because I'd type 3 words, ZZZ and then have to find my place again to type a few more words again before I dozed off. Headed to bed.

Sending my first two PBS books out tomorrow. Printed the labels with postage from home, so awesome. Even better than the drive through post office. Between that and being able to add by ISBN, it couldn't be much easier - except I don't know what books I want to GET. I'm sure I'll think of something. Hubby cleaned out our disaster walk-in closet/storage unit today while I cooked, which is why I had 22 books at my fingertips to add.

Sam spent a bunch of time tonight trying to crawl :. He did a lot of bridging on his hands and toes with his butt in the air. He was also getting fancy up on hands and knees and balancing on one hand while he grabbed for a toy with the other. Heaven help me.

Okay, must actually leave the chair and go to the bed. Usually when I finish work I'm wired for an hour, but I don't see that being a problem tonight.
#365 of 465 Old 11-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Thanks for your help last night, dear women. Akasha threw up a couple more times, in smaller amounts of course and then muscousy, like it was stomach bile or something? Anyways, I decided to give her constitutional Cal Carb, and she promptly fell asleep, I woke her in intervals to nurse small amounts for the next few hours, and then we went to sleep. She nursed through the night and we just woke and she seems entirely recovered.

It's so upsetting when they're not feeling well! I need a tougher skin or something. Ugh. Except for our difficult night, Thanksgiving was lovely though. My gut feels like she caught some unusual (to her) funk with all the people handling her, and her system then fought hard to totally reject it.. that's my best guess at least.

Anyhoo, I appreciate ya'll!

Grace Comes.

#366 of 465 Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad Akasha is better.

Kiran has started on solids now. She's had a little pumpkin 3 days in a row. It's so fun to look at a baby's face upon the first taste of food! Had a very green poop this am. Is that a sign of a reaction?
#367 of 465 Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Sending my first two PBS books out tomorrow. Printed the labels with postage from home, so awesome. Even better than the drive through post office. Between that and being able to add by ISBN, it couldn't be much easier - except I don't know what books I want to GET. I'm sure I'll think of something. . .Sam spent a bunch of time tonight trying to crawl :. He did a lot of bridging on his hands and toes with his butt in the air. He was also getting fancy up on hands and knees and balancing on one hand while he grabbed for a toy with the other. Heaven help me.
There is also the sister site for CDs, and I posted a bunch of 's CDs he didn't want and tranferred the credits to PBS. I have a lot of AP, etc, books on my wishlist--not the chess ones, those are all 's.

E does the get up and grab with one hand, it's so amazing to see the little steps in crawling.

I bought a bunch of black Lion's Brand wool yarn and am going to crochet some soakers for my FBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
It's so upsetting when they're not feeling well! I need a tougher skin or something. Ugh. Except for our difficult night, Thanksgiving was lovely though. My gut feels like she caught some unusual (to her) funk with all the people handling her, and her system then fought hard to totally reject it.. that's my best guess at least.
Anyhoo, I appreciate ya'll!
I'm glad she's better. Eek, yah, I'm not looking forwad to when she gets hurt and sick and nasty stuff. It breaks my heart when she cries hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Kiran has started on solids now. She's had a little pumpkin 3 days in a row. It's so fun to look at a baby's face upon the first taste of food! Had a very green poop this am. Is that a sign of a reaction?
I loved watching her when I give her something different. She gets excited now watching us eat. I gave her a taste of pumpkin pie, no crust, she looooved it! My MIL grows beets and make a super veggie soup, mashed one cube up, she ate all of it.

She was awake the whole way here, hour and 1/2, usually we time it so she sleeps at least half the way, but I was driivng doing last minute errands, (getting my 5 FBs and another friend gave me 24 pfs, so no running out of dipes and doing laundry every day!!!!!) and she fell asleep then. So I was worried how she'd do and I sat back with her and talked and played and shared and orange with her. I had tried it last week and no rash, so I've been giving her citrus. Kept her very happy.

Sorry I didn't get he detergent recipe posted before now, i'm not on my home computer, so Monday--if my Internet works. *sigh*

Oh, and Heidi, thanks for recommending the hot water for cough, my MIL has had a bad recurring cough.

I do have a yummy, non-alcoholic punch recipe:
4 oranges
2 lemons
4 limes
all halved and sliced
1 quart of grape juice
1 can Sprite
ice cubes

I just add more juice when it gets low. It nice to have a few slices in the glasses to chew on. My Spanish teacher in college made it the last day of class. You can do wine instead of grape juice.

Did anyone else try the Chai recipe on the last weekly Mothering email? I did, and it was very yummy. MIL loved it. I'm looking forward to making more around Christmas.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#368 of 465 Old 11-24-2007, 02:46 AM

Akasha was in my thoughts as well--glad she's ok

So get this--Claire is now no longer content to just crawl all over my house, she now has to pull up every chance she gets! : This new talent of hers has surpassed *pride* and gotten me to *nervous*, heh... At this rate she'll be trying to walk next month...

Thanksgiving was fairly nice for us, we celebrated two days early cause dh volunteered to get max. overtime on the actual day. I made my usual few fave dishes, dh baked himself some turkey legs and we would have had a completely pleasant dinner were it not for Claire pitching a fit halfway thru, sigh. It was one of her "I'm tired but can't fall asleep cause life's too interesting right now" moments :rollleyes

So I've got to get cracking--a friend has "ordered" a Waldorf doll from me, and another friend wants me to crochet baby hats for her neices--kind of ironic, i won't rly have time to do a homemade xmas for my own kids cause i'm too busy making things to sell

On that note, what kinds of things is everyone wanting for xmas??? : For you, for the kiddos, for dp, for baby? I am nosy

I want to get some dyed silkies from The Color Farm, some board books in German for dh to read to Claire, a lot of Pokemon figures off eBay, maybe a goth coat from Tripp NYC, and some knit playfood

Also, EC'ing mamas, what kind of pot do you use for your lo?? Cause I tend to feel like there's nothing wrong with having a pot avaliable to them from very early on and I saw this and just thought "omg how CUTE!" But is it functional??

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#369 of 465 Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM

I've had that same thought about that very chamber pot! As I was clicking the link I thought "hey bet that's that really cool nova naturals pot!"

A is also pulling up now but she's not very steady... determined as ever but clumsy which equals a banged up baby

Grace Comes.

#370 of 465 Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

I am in love with that chamber pot!!!

We did Christmas with my MIL today and got:

a Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker Attachment
a Soya Joya Soymilk Maker (dh is thrilled and mixing up some rice milk now)
some books and toys for the little guys

My dh also got me a new, amazing HEPA vacuum off of freecycle today. I have wanted a vacuum for so long and ask for one every Christmas. He refuses to buy me a vacuum for Christmas and so I have never gotten one because they just cost too much to justify getting outside of a holiday. Well, he suprised me with a free one today

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#371 of 465 Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Also, EC'ing mamas, what kind of pot do you use for your lo?? Cause I tend to feel like there's nothing wrong with having a pot avaliable to them from very early on and I saw this and just thought "omg how CUTE!" But is it functional??
And to answer your question, we use the bjorn potty.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#372 of 465 Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 AM

Ugh - I just lost half a reply. Satellite internet is not cool. Our phone company said if we can get 8 people to commit to getting DSL, they'd bring it here and so far we have 5. Next week we are going to drive around and put fliers on people's mailboxes because we cannot deal with this for much longer!

Anyway... that chamber pot is cute! It's about the same size as a plastic potty bowl I sell and used a lot with Delia. I need splashguards for Henry, so I use the Baby Bjorn Little Potty and the Baby Bjorn Toilet Trainer with him. I'd think it might be a little chilly though? I've seen similar ones (although plastic, but with weighted bottoms) in China with tops!

Tooth #6 is through. Each one has given him 1-2 days of pain, but no loose poop or fever or excessive drool. OMG the past few days he's been BITING me though! I've scared him with my shrieks several times and that's just a sad/hilarious cycle - he cries, nurses, bites, I gasp in pain, he cries.

We put up a little tree yesterday, and our main tree today (both artificial) plus some lights around a big window. I'm so happy we got them up early so we can enjoy them. Last year we left our tree up until after Valentine's Day! LOL I am not a big present-person. I am not very good at thinking of great presents so most of the time I just wait for inspiration to strike. My ILs get us lots of stuff, and the kids, so that takes the pressure off me. My family is not big on presents either.

We accepted an offer on our land, so after December 14th we'll have one less mortgage! Yay! YAY! They even have cash, so it's not like we have to worry about them getting financing. Very exciting to sell that before winter. Now we have to find time to get the rest of our junk out of the old house and get it ready to rent/list. We moved THREE MONTHS ago! Ack!

It is SO exciting how many of us do EC! It warms my heart. I have a new blog about ECing. Happy Pottying Reminds me I should probably post something!

I LOVE this time of year. I went ice skating again today. It's like I have to pinch myself sometimes.
#373 of 465 Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
It is SO exciting how many of us do EC! It warms my heart. I have a new blog about ECing. Happy Pottying Reminds me I should probably post something!
I am an EC slacker. I spend too much time on the internet in the morning. I KNOW that DD poops every morning very shortly after getting up and yet, every morning, she starts fussing and whining and her diaper is already full and it's climbing up her back. *sigh* Maybe tomorrow we've been doing pretty well with peeing on the potty after naps though.

Oh, and we use a Gerry potty, the ring unsnaps from the potty and snaps into the toilet seat so she can use the regular toilet too.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#374 of 465 Old 11-25-2007, 03:15 AM

I'm a total EC failure
My dh has pottied the baby more than I have & my toddler totally reverted. Anyways Mickey poops in the middle of the night, WTF is up with that? Day before yesterday I changed two poopy diaps between 4 and 5 am, THEN one leaked IN THE BED around 6 am, AND DH changed one more before I got up for the day :

FWIW I "use" the BBLP & the bebejou & the clear wunder potty (thanks Em.)

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#375 of 465 Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM

geeeezzz... musing on that cute chamber pot and I totally forgot to respond to the actual question...

We use a bblp but more than that we hold A over the actual toliet which she seems to prefer. Todd is fixing to make her a step stool and then will add a bjorn toliet trainer onto the top of our seat.

Grace Comes.

#376 of 465 Old 11-25-2007, 05:48 PM

Oh yes and Megan that ice cream attachment is so cool... my sister has that and she makes a canolli ice cream that is to die for..
:

Grace Comes.

#377 of 465 Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
geeeezzz... musing on that cute chamber pot and I totally forgot to respond to the actual question...

We use a bblp but more than that we hold A over the actual toliet which she seems to prefer. Todd is fixing to make her a step stool and then will add a bjorn toliet trainer onto the top of our seat.
i just have to smile at you saying "fixing to...." i was born in tennessee used to say that all the time. years after moving to the midwest i forcibly stopped using that phrase because i was given so much slack about it. when i hear someone say it, though, it warms my heart.

i'm impressed with all you ECers. i've never tried it & never will but it fascinates me.

stephanie asl.gif

#378 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
i just have to smile at you saying "fixing to...."
I did too - we're in Texas, but not from Texas. Most of my kids don't have much accent, but my 5yo has one of the biggest accents you'd ever hear and fixin' to is one of the things she's picked up on too.
#379 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I'm a total EC failure
Me too. I was planning on ECing Raven from Day 1 and it has just never happened. For a while, when she was sleeping thru the night, I remembered a couple times to hold her over the toilet as soon as she woke up in the morning.. and that's IT. I was planning on full-time ECing and ... nada. We don't even HAVE a potty. Maybe this is something I can add to the "to do" list for my month off in December... I hope it's not to late.

So far she has cut one tooth and the other one is looking like it's coming through any day now. She was REALLY miserable for about a week before the first one came through. I couldn't figure out what it was, then one day she clamped down on my finger and I was like "Hey there's a tooth there, now!"

We decorated her bedroom this weekend, finally, and I moved my desk into it so now she can play while I chat (or, y'know, work). It's all IKEA crap like the rest of our house : the crib we bought her (for naps, now that she can roll...bed not-so-good; we'll be co-sleeping as long as she's night-nursing!) is set to the higher bed setting and the first time we put her in it (to play/check it out) she pulled herself up to standing! But no actual crawling or cruising yet, thank goodness.
#380 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Ikea crap? I like Ikea.

Potty: I use something like th BBLP, just off-brand,I think, found it at Once Upon a Child. I carry it back and forth to the bedroom at night. I pu t her on it first thing when we get up in the am. She wiggles around 7 am, and I call , and he potties and snuggles her while playing chess, then bring her back, and she/we will sleep another hour. Ah, it's nice. And I potty her again when I get up. I set the potty on the floor in front of the couch and let her grab my pants legs/toys whie she potties. I love catching those morning poops. Just now she was pulling to standing up off the potty, and sat back down, pooped and promptly stood back up. I am so not ready for this standing up business.

I've got a Pack'n'Play at IL's and sometimes I can get her into it, (we sleep in a queen there, very bad mattress, not nice like our CA king), and it's squished. I'm wondering how portable Arm's Reach type co-sleepers are. Of course, if we left it at the ranch like we do the PnP, it wouldn't matter. We have crib to sidecar at home, I've told to make sure it will work three-sided in the garage before we rearrange the bedroom. So someday. At first I totally didn't want to go to a crib even sidecarred, but now I want more room!

Christmas presents, later.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#381 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
i just have to smile at you saying "fixing to...." i was born in tennessee used to say that all the time. years after moving to the midwest i forcibly stopped using that phrase because i was given so much slack about it. when i hear someone say it, though, it warms my heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
I did too - we're in Texas, but not from Texas. Most of my kids don't have much accent, but my 5yo has one of the biggest accents you'd ever hear and fixin' to is one of the things she's picked up on too.

yup I am deep down here in the dirty south.... didn't realize my accent was getting so thick it was starting to seep through ya'll's computer screens....

Grace Comes.

#382 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Hey Mamas.. I've got milestone news.. Sebastian WAVED yesterday! It was so cute I almost cried!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#383 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Lets see if I can remember eveything I've been meaning to say

I quit giving foods to Mickey. He wasn't as ready as I thought :. He had banana a few times & liked it, then I made the peaches & he didn't like them (had them thrice), then I tried apple a few times & he gagged, Rice once & he gagged, turkey on TG and he gagged, and another meat today & he gagged. I'm done until he gets a tooth or four.

He started rolling A LOT today. As of yesterday he only rolled maybe five times in his life as of today he's mobile!

Sort of on topic with the elimination communication stuff: The other day we were at a relitive's house and I said to Mickey "Did you poop?" and he said, no lie : "yeah poop". IT WAS CRAZY. My dh's aunt & her daughter both heard it. Poop was one of seamus' first words too.

Mickey has a very very bad diaper rash. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm doing everything, but I think because I'm not sticking to one "program" I'm not accomplishing anything. It's been over a week. It's getting weepy in the crack of his leg/groin. ADVICE?

My mom called me crying today because her mamogram came back with something on it & they want to do another. I don't know what to think. How accurate are mamograms? I should probably make a post about this in H&H. Ugh. I just dont' know what to think. I suspect it's nothing, but my dad died of cancer four years ago & I just don't want to think of the worst.

um. there was something else.
Kegals? Who's doing them & how often?

~laura
#384 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Hey Mamas.. I've got milestone news.. Sebastian WAVED yesterday! It was so cute I almost cried!
I didn't realize they started doing that already! When do they start clapping?

~laura
#385 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize they started doing that already! When do they start clapping?
He's only done it that once. You could see the gears in his head working double-time too. BIL was holding him and joking that he was going to leave with him, and he said, "Wave bye to mommy and daddy." and BIL waved at us, and Seb looked at him a copied his wave!

Not a lot of words here though. He only says Mom, Mama, and Dada, and Baba (which I think means Papa, because that is what we call DH). When he is frustrated or hungry he says "Mom" very clearly.

Alana- I just finished season 3 of the L word! Are you on season 4 now?

I am also watching Greys Anatomy, I'm on season 2, 3rd disk right now, and I am LOVING it. And BIL brought seasons 1-3 of Six Feet Under over last night that we started. I am set for TV shows. Season 2 of Big Love comes out in just a couple weeks! Whoa, I'm watching a lot of TV on DVD, lol.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#386 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Mickey has a very very bad diaper rash. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm doing everything, but I think because I'm not sticking to one "program" I'm not accomplishing anything. It's been over a week. It's getting weepy in the crack of his leg/groin. ADVICE?

um. there was something else.
Kegals? Who's doing them & how often?
My nightmare rash sitch - Josh (ds1) got that horrible rash that the NP said was staph, but staph AFTER it was something else. I put the muciprocin ointment on it and it got much better, but now I think I need to add something for allergy rash because it's getting worse again. His is spotty, but not yeast spotty, big spots. Anyway, what the NP had originally told me to do was use a combination of 3 ointments because she wasn't sure what the original rash was - one for yeast, one for contact dermatitis, and one antibiotic. I actually decided to use just the cream clear the staph first because it was scariest. Anyway, I'm not sure if that helps or not - I was kind of saying, maybe try a multi-method assault all at once, but then again, I didn't do that . I have done it in the past with other kiddos and it worked.

Kegels: I did about 3 this weekend. I do them when I think of it, which is not nearly often enough to make a difference.
#387 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:

My mom called me crying today because her mamogram came back with something on it & they want to do another. I don't know what to think. How accurate are mamograms? I should probably make a post about this in H&H. Ugh. I just dont' know what to think. I suspect it's nothing, but my dad died of cancer four years ago & I just don't want to think of the worst.
Livy had a rash that was getting bad in the fold of her little leg. I put golden seal on it that I had left over from treating her cord stump. It dried it out and cleared it up.
#388 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Alana- I just finished season 3 of the L word! Are you on season 4 now?
Not yet! My BF is on Season 1, so I started at the beginning again so that we can watch "together" (even though she lives 3 hours away in NYC).

Iris popped her first tooth today! She has been nursing for what feels like 24/7 this week...not fussy at all, but she did have a little rash on her bum yesterday (which I just use a little olive oil on, BTW).

I've missed you ladies...been struggling trying to find the mama time lately. Hugs to you and all your LOs.

treehugger.gif
#389 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 PM

I haven't been able ot read the whole thread, but what toys are your babies currently into? I feel like Andrew needs some new toys, but I am not sure what to get. He has a play gym for the floor but he seems to be tiring of that.
#390 of 465 Old 11-26-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I've got a Pack'n'Play at IL's and sometimes I can get her into it, (we sleep in a queen there, very bad mattress, not nice like our CA king), and it's squished. I'm wondering how portable Arm's Reach type co-sleepers are. Of course, if we left it at the ranch like we do the PnP, it wouldn't matter. We have crib to sidecar at home, I've told to make sure it will work three-sided in the garage before we rearrange the bedroom. So someday. At first I totally didn't want to go to a crib even sidecarred, but now I want more room!
We have the Arm's Reach Mini and it is very portable! Even comes with a little bag to carry it in like a Pack N Play.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page