May 2007 Mamas ~ It's November! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
Jen-Its soooooooooooooooooooooo good to see you around here again! I can't imagine a little one walking now..: Heck I'm not even ready for crawling. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Eaglevoice, I've been thinking about you lately :, I'm glad you had a chance to check in. Do you still see Navymommy at all?
Someone in my local LLL group had a baby who started walking at 7 mo : It's nutz.
Aww, thanks, mamas!! It's good to finally have some time to catch up on all of you lovely ladies!! I actually haven't seen navymommy since the day she had her baby. I was the one who drove her to the hospital the morning of her induction. She had to move to Texas shortly after having her baby...I should PM her and see if she's still posting on MDC.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#452 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I also did a baby bird feeding : where I chewed up a cracker and spit a mashed up hunk onto my finger and he went right for it almost instinctually & he wanted more.
Maybe he just doesn't like pureed food .
I do this all the time. I kiss her droolly face all the time, no diff to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Hey y'all! (Y'all is something I will never ever let escape from my vocabulary. I think I should try to make it popular up here in Minnesota. I don't have much of any accent, but if I talk to someone with a southern accent I pick it up in about two minutes.)

Henry is an EATER. Today I shared oatmeal with him, which was not in my plan at all - I was going to wait much much longer for any type of grain. But oh well! Then I also gave him peaches at lunch. And turkey lunch meat! LOL He really really loves to eat, and actually EATS. So weird, sort of fun but also a bit more work than I'm ready for. Of course I keep a close eye on him for any reactions but he seems great so far. And very little gagging. Hardly any really, except if he gets a huge wad of paper.
So maybe it's some natural thing - winter hibernation!?
E likes eating my oatmeal in the morning.

Where I you from originally? I got that a lot when we lived in MN. I'm from KY. I still say ya'll, but my accent isn't nearly so strong, but I still get asked. I've lived up north 11 years now, whoa, that long???

Hmm, I'm not into astrology and that sort of stuff, but I wonder if it does have an effect. Hey, the moon makes tides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
LOL about white not being wheat. what does she think it's made of, then, tissue paper??
my dh made up an oil-free dressing from scratch today, and it was so good we ate two entire heads of lettuce between us! He used my mortar and pestle (that I mostly just bought for pretties ) and ground up a bunch of spices together, then based that in salad vinegar and a dash of sugar.

sigh. trying to lose weight and eat healthy is so hard to do when it's cold outside and what i really want to do is bake cookies and make fudge and, well, you know about the holidays
white not wheat. Some people scare me. We watched Are you Smarter than a 5th grader? last night. Ay-yi-yi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
A bit of a subject change from solids but I'm just wondering how everyone else's babies are doing with sleep...??? Particularly night time sleep... it has been sort of bad around here lately. She is napping less during the day which from what I read on babycenter : is normal, like 2 x 1.5 hour naps.
I quit looking at the clock to see how often she wakes up, she goes to sleep 9-10:30. I want to move it a little earlier, it got moved later just with holidays and everything. But, she won't settle and stay asleep unless I'm with her, so for later, Christmas, not too sure. I can't get her down and leave her. But, 2-3 am she wakes up, then 4-6 again and wakes enough I have to change or potty her at 7. She'll sleep anywhere from 8-10:30. Kinda nice.I was scared I 'd have a kid who got up at 7 am every stinking morning. I'm not a morning person--obviously. While I was pg, I hated getting up at 9, . So I lucked out this kid around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
I keep feeling these anger impulses(that's the best way I can think to describe them) every once in a while. I kept thinking it was because I'm tired, but then I woke up to AF this morning.
Ugh, I understand what you mean. It's more when I'm tired, but I get so aggravated when she gets ahold of my hair, I'm really really tender-headed. I get irritated at her, and then feel bad, she has no idea. I think she has a high pain tolerance, doesn't fuss when I comb that fuzzy tangles at the back of her head, pulls her own hair on occasion, I pinched her finger with the wipes lid, she didn't cry, bumps her head on the floor, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Maybe... both her bottom teeth have popped out in the past couple weeks... the second one just a couple days ago... so it's still just barely through... maybe it still hurts? Hrmph. I think I read somewhere that babies start sleeping better when they are 3 years old and aren't teething any more. :
I read enough and realized that babies don't sleep through the night and it sounds like toddlers don't either, and since I quit looking at the clock, it doesn't bother me as long as I get to sleep in. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabrynn82 View Post
Only have a minute - but I just had the scariest diaper experience!!!
I've fed Elisabeth bananas and never have gotten those. It's been more goopy/solid since she's been tasting/eating stuff this last week. She ate two chunks of potato from stew last night--grabbed one out of the bowl. I want to give her something she can pinch to feed herself, bu not sure what, and don't want to do wheat, so the little thingies from Gerber are out. Any suggestions?

How are you all baby-proofing? She can follow me around crawling and pull up to standing now. I have an endtable of plants when she is really good at pulling up, she can reach. I don't want to, and don't have room to put everything way up high. I don't think smacking her hands is right or good, but how do I teach her "no touch?"and leave them out?

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#453 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think beans are a terrific early food. We eat beans everyday here, so we always have some. I will set them on the food tray (I did this with ds1, Clay has not eaten yet) and they can pick them up. Clay just smears them around (happily) and August ate them like crazy.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#454 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
How are you all baby-proofing? She can follow me around crawling and pull up to standing now. I have an endtable of plants when she is really good at pulling up, she can reach. I don't want to, and don't have room to put everything way up high. I don't think smacking her hands is right or good, but how do I teach her "no touch?"and leave them out?
yea we don't smack hands here either--what i do is say "Claire, no thank you" in a clear voice while gently taking her hands down/away and making eye contact w/her. Sometimes I have to do it 3+ times, but there ya go.

I think you can't babyproof everything, and it's probably a good idea to have at least a few "no-no's" around that you won't mind getting broken/ruined, just to give them the exp. of seeing 'ohh that's what happens, that's why mama doesn't want me to touch that..."

i guess it's not the best place, but i finally sat down and figured out what mine and dh's ideal weights would be (as per dr. fuhrman's Eat to Live program), and found I only have 25lbs to lose....but poor dh has ninety : I'm throwing out most of our bad food today and i guess for the next six weeks we'll be in dietville. whine, whine. pity party for us!

claire likes beans, heh. i wonder how common of a first food that is..? I meant to start her with bananas, avocados, etc. but beans were the first thing she took to that we were sharing with her. ah well. at least we'll have lots of fruits and veggies around cause of this diet! she can try more things soon I guess

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#455 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM

I think we might be getting a dog tonight. A boxer from a boxer rescue center. We've been wanting a dog for so many years now and the timing just never felt right. I'm nervous about bringing a dog into the house with such a little baby, but I think we might have found one that will fit right in. He is 11 months old and raised in a house with a three and four year old, so he's obviously good with older kiddos...: hopefully he will work out for us!

#456 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 PM

Oh, and I recently changed my siggy and added some photos from Kylie's homebirth!

#457 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
I think we might be getting a dog tonight. A boxer from a boxer rescue center. We've been wanting a dog for so many years now and the timing just never felt right. I'm nervous about bringing a dog into the house with such a little baby, but I think we might have found one that will fit right in. He is 11 months old and raised in a house with a three and four year old, so he's obviously good with older kiddos...: hopefully he will work out for us!
We have a boxer! We've had her since before we had kids, but she is awesome with kids and has never snapped or growled once. She's been fine with them from the newborn stage on and was protective of me both times I was pregnant. A little hyper, though...
#458 of 465 Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I read enough and realized that babies don't sleep through the night and it sounds like toddlers don't either, and since I quit looking at the clock, it doesn't bother me as long as I get to sleep in. Oh well.
I wish I could sleep in! LOL Well I can for the next 31 mornings. But then I start school again on Jan. 1st and it's back to up at 6 am to capitalize on naps.

I don't like big dogs that much (OK ok it's not that I don't like them... it's that I'm scared of them ) But all the boxers I've ever met have been so friendly.
#459 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would never hit a child either. I agree with Krystal that you can not babyproof everything and you have to teach them about somethings. Like Krystal said, this often just means always being right with them so ou can repeatedly give them gentle reminders of "no thank you" or "ut oh" or whatnot.

That said, I also think it is unfair to children to expect them to live in an adult world and so creating a place with "bad local conditions" is not really good for babies or their parents I think. I am willing to have a few "no-nos" that I will teach my kids to avoid, but not a lot of them. If I find myself having to say no to a lot of things, then I feel like I need to change the local conditions into a more affirming environment. For example, I don't allow kids in the china cabinet, so I will teach about that. I have floor to ceiling book shelves and I put ones on the bottom for kids so that they can pull them all off to their heart content. This way I don't have to say no because mine are up higher.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#460 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
i guess it's not the best place, but i finally sat down and figured out what mine and dh's ideal weights would be (as per dr. fuhrman's Eat to Live program), and found I only have 25lbs to lose....but poor dh has ninety : I'm throwing out most of our bad food today and i guess for the next six weeks we'll be in dietville. whine, whine. pity party for us!

claire likes beans, heh. i wonder how common of a first food that is..? I meant to start her with bananas, avocados, etc. but beans were the first thing she took to that we were sharing with her. ah well. at least we'll have lots of fruits and veggies around cause of this diet! she can try more things soon I guess
I love E2L. I started on October 20th and weighed in today 20 pounds less than I was 40 days ago! (And I cheat sometimes - some pizza and candy for Halloween, treats on Thanksgiving, a couple brownies, a little dairy). I don't cheat all the time, maybe once a week or something, but I find if I stick to it otherwise, the weight is coming off like crazy. This is with no extra working out or activity and prior to E2L I was not losing weight and all and it was bumming me out. So, 20 pounds down, 20 pounds to go and I am back to pre-baby

#461 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
ezra loves to go for the cat food/water & i just make a simple sound like "uh uh uh" (meaning no without actually using the word no). i say it in a sing-song way, too. he completely gets it! whenever i say uh-uh he stops, looks at me & grins. i really try to save N-O for emergency situations, ya know?

i like the idea of developing "the look," as well. being able to glace at your children with a certain expression & have them understand what you're "saying."

stephanie asl.gif

#462 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 AM

My dad took some more cute pics of the kids. Here's one of Kade in the sink.
#463 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
My dad took some more cute pics of the kids. Here's one of Kade in the sink.
Oh my cuteness! I love that pic!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#464 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe I should look into that Eat to Live. Still consistently 20 lbs over pre-baby, have been for about 4 mos or so. But I so love baking, and dd1 likes to bake with me. Doing a little yoga again, but probably not enough to lose weight.

So we finally started solids. So far Kiran likes pumpkin, doesn't like carrots, peas, or avocado. She makes the funniest faces when she tastes something she doesn't like. Thought for sure the avocado would be bland enough, and dd1 always loved avocado. But no. Finally tonight I found another one she likes, pear. She grabs the spoon and puts it in her mouth. Dd1 would so rather feed Kiran than eat her own dinner.

I've seen those brown banana strings, it scared me the first time too!
#465 of 465 Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page