May 2007 Mamas ~ It's November! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 465 Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I signed up on diaperswappers.com yesterday! Lots of fun browsing there!

hahahahaha!!!! welcome to the dark side .

treehugger.gif
#122 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 AM

nak

i know i've said this before... but really this time.. Sebastian is teething! my friend pointed out where they are poking through today, she noticed them when she was watching him.. this explains why he's been waking up screaming, from a deep sleep, the last couple of nights!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#123 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 AM

Lizzy,

Have you checked out ebay for diapers too? I found some pretty cheap on there and also found some on craigslist. Now I just gotta wait to get them!!!!!!

Amy,
I went through that 2 yrs ago. Its pretty scary. I ended up w/ stage 1 cervical cancer. They were able to get it all w/ surgery so its gone now and I'm ok. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help out. I'm praying that its NOTHING.
#124 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
nak

i know i've said this before... but really this time.. Sebastian is teething! my friend pointed out where they are poking through today, she noticed them when she was watching him.. this explains why he's been waking up screaming, from a deep sleep, the last couple of nights!
Well at least you know what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
Lizzy,

Amy,
I went through that 2 yrs ago. Its pretty scary. I ended up w/ stage 1 cervical cancer. They were able to get it all w/ surgery so its gone now and I'm ok. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help out. I'm praying that its NOTHING.
How scary.

I am not sure if last night Maggie slept through the night or if I was so tired I did not wake up. Hopefully she stays asleep for a while longer.

Heidi
#125 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 AM

thanks michelle, i'm still waiting to hear from the doc about when my appt. at the hospital is... all these years that i've been getting pap tests I never actually knew what they were looking for. and i thought i knew everything. :

eta: oh yeah... how many crawlers do we have now? i think we're getting pretty close over here. uh-oh!
#126 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Amy, I am keeping you in my thoughts also!

No signs of moving over here, although he would clearly love to. I kind of hope he holds off because my mom's house (where we will be from Mid-December to Mid-January is a hard place for a small crawler (an old farm house heated exclusively with glass fronted woodburning stoves and endless dangers).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#127 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
eta: oh yeah... how many crawlers do we have now? i think we're getting pretty close over here. uh-oh!

No signs of actual crawling over here, but he sure does love to move - he CANNOT sit still most of the time, kicks his legs constantly in the carseat, jumps on my lap and in my arms. He's ready to get going!
#128 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Maggie only crawls when she is mad like when the boys are holding her toys and not giving them to her or she wants me.

She is cracking me up. She is sound asleep but she is talking in her sleep. You can pick up words here and there. Apparently she is dreaming of food because she keeps on say mommy MMM and mama hungry. She also has been talking about dada and her two brothers. She just goes on and on. She is making all these consonant sounds.

Heidi
#129 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM

We are getting close to moving around here. Elise an kinda scoot all over the place but she usually will just stay put. I'm NOT ready for crawling! LOL We have stairs and hardwood floors. Veronica (5yr old) is also not ready b/c she'll have to be REALLY careful w/ all her little toys now she doesn't really have too. I'm sure our dog is not ready for another crawler either.

So I've now bought 25 diapers! How many more do y'all think I need or am I good? I can't wait for them to get here, I hate putting her in the spoises now.

Gotta run Veronica is loving Elise a bit too much...
#130 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM

We have 2 dozen prefolds and 5 wraps and it is plenty for us as I wash every other day.

Heidi
#131 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM

I found the best children's consignment boutique today! We went looking for something else, but I got two Zutano dresses, 2 pairs of leggings, a romper, and a t-shirt for $16! I love happy surprises.

I have a question for you all...is anyone using a jumperoo-type contraption for their LO :? We have avoided buying lots of plastic stuff for Iris...some nice wooden rattles and a few carefully chosen M toys. But yesterday I was at the home of an acquaintance with a bunch of other moms and babes, and Iris was so excited when someone put her in this rainforest jumperoo-thingy while I was using the bathroom. She looked so happy and loooooved jumping (she often tries to jump when we are holding her in our laps). She was reaching for the little parrot and chewing on the little butterfly and I couldn't bear to tear her away from it. She entertained herself for a good half hour.

So, I guess what I want to know is:
1. Do you/have you used something like this with your DC?
2. Is it actually GOOD for babies to be in these things, or is it too much
stimulation, too much for their hips, etc.?
3. Am I depriving her of her own independence/freedom of movement even though she seemed SO happy in this thing?

I guess what it comes down to is that part of me wants to get it, because she seemed to love it so much. The other part of me doesn't want to buy all that plastic and thinks it is too stimulating/constraining. Any ideas or advice?

treehugger.gif
#132 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Lizzy,

Have you checked out ebay for diapers too? I found some pretty cheap on there and also found some on craigslist. Now I just gotta wait to get them!!!!!!
I haven't check craigslist.. I did check ebay and haven't found anything I like. The prices there seam to be pretty much the same as online stores, or more than DS.

Quote:
I think we are pretty close. He pulls himself up on all fours, and acts like he wants to scoot around, but not yet! I still haven't "baby proofed"

Quote:

So I've now bought 25 diapers! How many more do y'all think I need or am I good? I can't wait for them to get here, I hate putting her in the spoises now.
What kinds did you get? I am getting the 2 FB from Alana, I have some WAHM that I am borrowing, and I am thinking I want to get some more chinese prefolds with BSWW. I found an online store that sells a little sample kit with 2 BSWW and 6 prefolds and a snappy for $30.

There must have been something in the universe to hit us with the CD craze at the same time! :

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#133 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM

1. Do you/have you used something like this with your DC? No.
stimulation, too much for their hips, etc.? In general it is not advisable to have children in a contraption that holds them in a position they can not sustain on their own. There can be damage to spinal development that may not show up until later on.

3. Am I depriving her of her own independence/freedom of movement even though she seemed SO happy in this thing? IMO, yes. She needs to be able to develop mobility in a more natural way.
There are a bunch of threads here on it if you search for jumper
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=jumper
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=jumper
I totally get the appeal of one, but IMO it is not worth the risk.

If you do get one, keep an eye out b/c IIRC, they are not supposed to use them once their feet can be flat on the floor in them. Check the manual.

It's not exactly the same sensation, but an alternative is to sit on an exercise ball with DC on your lap and bounce.
#134 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I love happy surprises.

3. Am I depriving her of her own independence/freedom of movement even though she seemed SO happy in this thing?

I guess what it comes down to is that part of me wants to get it, because she seemed to love it so much. The other part of me doesn't want to buy all that plastic and thinks it is too stimulating/constraining. Any ideas or advice?
Yay for your find. I love doing that. I thrifting.

I have a Jumperoo, we don't have a doorframe to the kitchen where I'd use it, so it's in the trunk for get-rid-of. I do have an Excersaucer, given to us, and that is handy, the toys are attached. My 's chiro told us how important it is for them to crawl to develop the proper curve in their spine. I only put her in anything when I have to get stuff done, and she's not happy on the floor, and I can't hold her and work. Haven't baby-proofed the bathroom, so mostly there. I do have a Bumbo also, have set her in the middle of the table while we're eating once. I'm not big on keeping her contained. IMO babies are meant to explore so it's up to us to make their enviro safe. An interview/poll of drs. in the BabyCenter newsletter said they can get too used to motion and make it hard for you to hold them, which is what Iris does already, sounds like she likes it. I could sell you mine if you're interested.

Quote:
I haven't check craigslist.. I did check ebay and haven't found anything I like. The prices there seam to be pretty much the same as online stores, or more than DS.

There must have been something in the universe to hit us with the CD craze at the same time! :
CDs on eBay, I bought mine from Granitesmith's, 24 pfs for $16 or $18 per doz. I love the FBs I've been loaned so gonna get more. I have a friend who just started CDing her boys, 2 and 3, she never heard of anything but pfs and diaper pins. If the large FBs fit her boys,(I have one borrowed to send her) we're going to split the cost and order some that are on clearance now. I'm really excited.

Yeah, I wondered and wondered about FBs, didn't want to buy unless I knew they'd work for us.

E's getting around good, sorta army-crawling. Not real crawling yet. She was crying last night, don't think she was awake tho'.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#135 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM

For you mamas with MTs, I found this thread, and it has a link for a video for doing a back carry with an MT, how to get in and out.
In:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnWhRCltSU
Out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wn0I-Q0hE
In w/MT on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW75FWt1Z0A
The cat meowing in the background cracked me up.

I need to clean the house for company tonight, so will try it out!

And this one was just funny!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=784676

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#136 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM

I have a jumperoo. I'm not ashamed. I bought it for my son two years ago.

I understand that they pose a risk to the baby's spine. I do not think that I am going to cause my daughter injury by allowing her to jump for a while a few times a week. My daughter loves it.

Anything in moderation. If she likes it - then why keep her from it?

Of course, I'm semi-crunchy at best.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#137 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM

I am now making my own diapers... but I bought my BSWW and my prefolds from clothdiaper.com for the small sizes. They were the cheapest I could find.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#138 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 PM

I have a jumperoo as well. It is a stand alone one, not one that hangs from a doorway.

1. Do you/have you used something like this with your DC?yes, I just got one
stimulation, too much for their hips, etc.?I don't keep the sound/music on at all, so it's not overstimulating. It doesn't look like he jumps enough that it would cause any problems. I agree about everything in moderation. If he was in there for long periods of time, I would be concerned.
3. Am I depriving her of her own independence/freedom of movement even though she seemed SO happy in this thing?The whole reason I even considered getting it was because he kicks and jumps in my lap. He totally loves it. Again, everything in moderation. I would just make sure you do equal floor time.
#139 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
For you mamas with MTs, I found this thread, and it has a link for a video for doing a back carry with an MT, how to get in and out.
In:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnWhRCltSU
Out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wn0I-Q0hE
In w/MT on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW75FWt1Z0A
The cat meowing in the background cracked me up.

I need to clean the house for company tonight, so will try it out!

And this one was just funny!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=784676
When do they start to like sitting like that? Sam doesn't like legs out at all and is still balking at froggy most of the time (unless tired).

ETA - never mind, I just tried it with him and just adjusted his legs until he was comfy. He was happy until I sat down to type this .
#140 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
I have a jumperoo. I'm not ashamed. I bought it for my son two years ago.

I understand that they pose a risk to the baby's spine. I do not think that I am going to cause my daughter injury by allowing her to jump for a while a few times a week. My daughter loves it.

Anything in moderation. If she likes it - then why keep her from it?

Of course, I'm semi-crunchy at best.
:

We're putting up the jumperoo tonight, actually! I've used it with both my previous kids also, and I figure that I only let them use it for 15-20 minutes at a time, it's going to be okay. But then, I too am very weakly crunchy.
#141 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 PM

We have the saucer that bounces. Maggie loves it. She has been in it just shy of two months. Maggie was rolling at birth and was holding up her head from birth also. We used it because it was the only place I could set her down at because of her reflux. At some point I had to shower.

The Maggsters is sick along with Liam. Not sure if its teething or a virus but she has thrown the reflux for a loop. I am so sick of vomit, spit up, puke. She started wheezing this morning so I had to take her in. She is now on the nebulizer. Of course the doctor office is full of sick kids which is not good. Liam is still not up to par from his surgery. He is having eating issues well not eating issues. Our peds is giving him two weeks to gain weight or else he is getting a feeding tube. He has lost since 9/18 7 pounds and 4 pounds in the last month. SIGH. I do not know what to do. I really hate this celiac's disease. Hopefully with Maggie we will not have these same issues since we found out so early in life.

Heidi
#142 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I have a question for you all...is anyone using a jumperoo-type contraption for their LO :?
We have a Jolly jumper and an Exersaucer, but don't use either for long periods of time. The Jolly Jumper is never more than 10-15 minutes every couple of days, the Exersaucer I put her in every morning for about 20 minutes so I can eat breakfast and check my email and sometimes get some work done.

Ok, a funny story for ECing.... on occassion I put Kayleigh down for a nap without a diaper on. She doesn't pee in her sleep, she pees when she wakes up, so I know that we have to put a diaper under her when she gets up of put a diaper on her. Yesterday I put her down for a nap with no diaper and DH was home so he went to get her when she woke up. I had forgotten to tell him that she was diaperless and after a few minutes I hear from the kitchen "Oh maaaaaaaaan" heehee, she peed down his shirt.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#143 of 465 Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I had forgotten to tell him that she was diaperless and after a few minutes I hear from the kitchen "Oh maaaaaaaaan" heehee, she peed down his shirt.

3 of 4 of my boys peed all over dh for their first diaper change ever. The only reason the oldest did not is because dh was in desert storm and was not there for his birth.

Heidi
#144 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The other AM I was sitting on the couch in my nightgown and boxer shorts w/Kiran and Rowan. I heard K poop but it didn't sound like much, and we were having such a nice moment I didn't want to get up yet. A few minutes later when I finally checked her, there was a big puddle of poop on the couch between my legs, and it was running up my leg into my shorts. omg one of the grossest things that ever happened to me!

. . . and then I started eating chunks of thawed placenta yesterday . . .
#145 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
The other AM I was sitting on the couch in my nightgown and boxer shorts w/Kiran and Rowan. I heard K poop but it didn't sound like much, and we were having such a nice moment I didn't want to get up yet. A few minutes later when I finally checked her, there was a big puddle of poop on the couch between my legs, and it was running up my leg into my shorts. omg one of the grossest things that ever happened to me!

. . . and then I started eating chunks of thawed placenta yesterday . . .
Okay, this is totally the kind of nerdy thing my dad would point out, but that was post #144 in this thread, which numerically is one GROSS. (where is that loser symbol?)
#146 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Okay, this is totally the kind of nerdy thing my dad would point out, but that was post #144 in this thread, which numerically is one GROSS. (where is that loser symbol?)
lol (And I never say that unless I really do laugh) I love it! I am a loser too.
#147 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 AM

Wow, cool! And definitely gross.

My dogs get to eat Henry poop out of a potty almost every day. Yummo! (ETA: not on purpose. Henry wakes me, he poops on the potty in the bedroom, I get up and go to the bathroom, by the time I come back in the bedroom the dogs have gotten the potty cleaned out.)

I gave Henry potato today. I was thinking squash, but I was boiling some potatoes anyway so I went with those. He was not excited about them.

He's getting up on his feet now. He puts his hands on stuff just a few inches off the ground, like our heater thingies (low radiators along the bottom of the wall - can you tell I'm from Florida!?) and then stands up and tries to reach his hands up to higher stuff!

He has this weird thing with his right hand/arm. He moves it really fast up and down. Like banging, only he ends up banging himself or whomever is holding him. I'm sure it's normal, but it's weird to me that he only does it with his right arm. If a chiropractor was free, I probably would take him. I try to massage his back/shoulders to keep him loose. LOL

Sometimes I end up massaging his feet and legs while I'm nursing him to get him to relax and fall asleep. I remember having to do that to Delia too, when it was like her body just wouldn't calm down because it wanted to keep moving. Delia is still nonstop energy - at least when Henry is bigger hopefully they will entertain each other!
#148 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Ok I know a few you are in the Market for FBs...I just put one up on the TP (and some Bumware too) .... just shamelessly putting that out there I am trying to raise funds for some Haute Cloth on the TP.....

In other news... I am getting really nervous/excited/nauseous/elated about my troupe's performances this weekend...

On one hand I am so happy to be with my friends getting all costumed up and dancing and raising money for a great cause... just the whole spectacle is amazing, kwim?

On the other hand, I am freaking out like "what am I thinking?" ... I barely even go out at night anymore... where am I going to get the energy for 2 nights of performace and entertaining out of town guests and mothering.....

I am sort of a mess TBH! IF I could just RELAX a bit more, I'll have such a great weekend.
:

Grace Comes.

#149 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Julianne doesn't quite crawl yet, but mysteriously she ends up across the room in a matter of minutes

Quote:
I have a question for you all...is anyone using a jumperoo-type contraption for their LO :? We have avoided buying lots of plastic stuff for Iris...some nice wooden rattles and a few carefully chosen M toys. But yesterday I was at the home of an acquaintance with a bunch of other moms and babes, and Iris was so excited when someone put her in this rainforest jumperoo-thingy while I was using the bathroom. She looked so happy and loooooved jumping (she often tries to jump when we are holding her in our laps). She was reaching for the little parrot and chewing on the little butterfly and I couldn't bear to tear her away from it. She entertained herself for a good half hour.

We hae a Rainforest Jumperoo and Julianne loves it...I am aware of the risks, but there are risks inoled with everything we do. Most of the time she plays on the floor, but I am not going to deprive her of an activity that she cleary enjoys! Plus it entertains her for a little while so I can atleast take a shower!!

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#150 of 465 Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM

dropping in to quickly say--Claire said her first words! Realyl clearly and deliberate, both to DH of course She said "Hi" and then "daddy"

she's crawling pretty well here, we are moving the comp into the LVR cause we're worried about how she longingly looks at the cords in the mornings

okay gotta go feed the family..

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page