May 2007 Mamas ~ It's November! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Elisabeth officially crawled, alternating hand and foot today. Just three 'steps', but she wasn't scooting with her legs, then flopping on her tummy. I'm so not ready for this.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
. . .he & i start off on "our" side of the bed . . .after 2 or 3 times of this, dh & i are crammed on 1/8th of the bed & ezra is sleeping cozily on his stomach right next to me. i usually have to pick him up & move him back over by the bedrail at some point & the comedy routine continues.....
complained that both arms were asleep because he had to curl so small yesterday. (small--6'2''? Ha!) We do the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
LOL maggierayne with getting bitten smiley. I have a little cut on one of my nipples. . .
Thank you. I am going to suggest it when I figure out how. I spend too much time on here, I think in smilies. This one the most: and this :
Ugh, I'm sorry, fortunately I haven't gotten bitten that bad, but when she does with those two little sharp teeth, I yelp and scare her. Made her cry once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Do you have a Trader Joes near you? We have only been GF for a few months and since that time TJ has gotten tons of new GF stuff in that is actually really good.
I wish. No, but we're getting a Hooters. The newspaper article said the someone in company called Hooters a family restaurant. Whatever. Excuse me, I know what boobs are really useful for. I wonder what they'd do if you nursed in a Hooters? Hehe, that's the only reason I could ever conceive of going into one. Anyway, do they have a website? The three grocery stores are so bad, but since I'm not doing sugar either I'd give anything for good brownies. I made some wheatfree ones for a student once, they weren't so hot. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemommaof1 View Post
As far as loosing weight I suck at it!!! I'm fitting in pre preggo jeans but am still not happy with my body and wish to loose at least 15 more pounds...
I lost a a good 10 lbs when I quit eating all sugar and wheat, and dairy. I'm down to pre-college weight, even my undies are loose.:

Quote:
Delia is just barely 4, so 3 is definitely do-able.
These are the days, though. I mean, the ones we'll treasure forever. The pure babyness of it all.
A friend sent me YouTube videos of the Cup if China Ice dancing competitions and Elisabeth just loved watching them. I remember seeing the double-bladed ice skates for little kiddos when we lived in MN.
"The pure babyness" How beautiful. I just enjoyed E snuggling this morning, usual I sleep, but wasn't today. Sigh.

Quote:
The MPS were always pulling over when they say us on the front porch thinking it was was a domestic.
Nice to know they were watching out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
I'm glad this thread hasn't moved very fast because I've had no time to keep up with it. are you planning on "getting" anything for your 7-8 month old!!?? (Can you believe it?!?)
Me too, I've been gone/busy all week because of deer, etc.

I'm sorry about the bedbugs, they are nasty! Can the landlord fumigate the halls so they don't spread?

Wow, EFPookie, I wish I could sew.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#242 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Christmas/Winter Holidays- No Santa here, I think it's silly and teaches kids it's ok to make up lies and pass them off as truth. I am not banning Santa, we'll still tell ds about him, but we just won't "be" Santa. And, for gifts, we are doing 4 Christmas gifts each, "Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read." and one gift of PJs for Winter Solstice/Yule. And we want to have another winter solstice tradition too but I don't know what yet.

We've officially got a tooth, and one more is coming! How long does it take the tooth to fully grow in? Poor baby gets so hurt from it
That 4x-mas present thing is SO cool!
About the teeth: I always thought that they hurt most right before they first break thru, then once the tooth has "cut" the coming out all the way step doesn't seem so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I wish. No, but we're getting a Hooters. The newspaper article said the someone in company called Hooters a family restaurant. Whatever. Excuse me, I know what boobs are really useful for. I wonder what they'd do if you nursed in a Hooters? Hehe, that's the only reason I could ever conceive of going into one. Anyway, do they have a website?
The Origional Hooters is about an hour and a half from me They're EVERYWHERE around here. We are the nudist & stripclub capital of america so also being the home state of Hooters shouldn't be suprising.
They've got good wings. They annoy me anyway About the part I bolded: 1)they sell onesies that say "I eat at Hooters" which I find HIlarious & 2)all of the anecdotal stories I've heard from friends indicate that Hooter's is just fine with BF. . .They're boob happy apparently.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#243 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 AM

Mickey wants to crawl SO badly! He just rocks on his wee-blo bottom and kinda "talks" loudly (coos annoyedly). I was trying to teach him how to do it today

I registered for Spring classes. I'm nervous. I don't know how it's going to work leaving him with my mom. He's so "little". I don't know how I'm going to store my pumped milk. I've got that high lipase thing & I really should scald it ASAP after pumping for it not to get f-u-n-k-y. I'm hoping my prof.s encourage mother-baby attendance. I know at least one will.

I'm taking: Prehistoric Human Evolution, Gender- a cross cultural perspective, Environmental Anthropology, & Political Anthropology.

~laura
#244 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 01:31 AM

"I've got that high lipase thing"
Me too. I just froze it in ice cube trays then transferred to Ziploc baggies, and she didn't mind. It comes out tasting soapy. Good luck!

#245 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

I have it also! (An oddly high number of May moms with this issue) and even the scalding does not make it taste better. My babies were not pleased with my milk but I have been thinking about trying again soon.

In other news, do any of you have any of these books you'd be willing to sell me/give me/trade with me:

Kitzinger, The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth, revised

Simkin, Whalley & Keppler, Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: The Complete Guide,
revised

Douglas, The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: The Ultimate Guide to Conception, Birth and
Everything In Between (U.S. or Canadian version)

Harper, Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions About Birthing Centers,
Birth Attendants, Water Birth, Home Birth, Hospital Birth

Gaskin, Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth

Peterson, An Easier Childbirth: A Mother's Guide for Birthing Normally

Goer, The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth

Mohrbacher, Stock, & Newton, The Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition

Newman & Pitman, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers (Available in the U.S.)

Huggins & Lawrence, The Nursing Mother’s Companion, 4th Edition

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#246 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 AM

you can have my Thinking womans guide to a better birth Megan--ffs

claire is crawling officially, on hands/knees in a cross pattern, like across the lvr and back she's only 5.5 months!! :

will type more when i can get my other arm back lol

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#247 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Of course after I say Henry sleeps on his back and doesn't move... Tonight the first time he woke up, he had wiggled up more than a foot, out from under the blanket and his legs were FREEZING. Next time he woke up, he was sideways and on his stomach! LOL Figures.
I think Sam can READ. Before tonight, I would have said that he always sleeps on his back too, but twice tonight already he has flipped over to his tummy and is there now. Fortunately, he's here in the room with me because unfortunately, I have him propped up in his Boppy because he's got a cold again (for the 4th or 5th time). Sleeping on tummy in Boppy, not so good.
#248 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
I have a little cut on one of my nipples and have been having to deal with pain from that - not fun. It scabs over, then the scab gets sucked off next time I nurse on that side. EW, huh?
I had a bad nipple crack when Emma was first born - and it took a few weeks to heal, because of what you are describing...

I just want to say (well first: Oww! I'm sorry momma) and second - what worked for healing was lanolin and air. I was too sore to go shirtless/braless - so I got breast shields. I wore them at night and after one night, there was a definite improvement!

And Emily - --- did you get my box from the swap yet?

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#249 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
omg bedbugs. They terrify me. (We have a motel.)

I can't believe so many babies here are crawling and talking. I don't think dd1 did either until well past 6 mos. Kiran is barely getting her bottom into the air for a second or two.

Thanksgiving will be low-key for us this year. We're meeting BIL this weekend before he leaves the country for a couple months. We'll just eat at a restaurant. As for actual TG, it might be just us and the ILs. I think dh just wants to get a tofurkey. Usually we go all out but we're broke and not inspired.
#250 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyway, do they have a website? The three grocery stores are so bad, but since I'm not doing sugar either I'd give anything for good brownies. I made some wheatfree ones for a student once, they weren't so hot. *sigh*
Yes Trader Joes has a website. I am not sure though if they ship. You can check it out. They have awesome food.
We went to GF bakery yesterday. Besides being mega $$$ some of it just did not taste right. I know I can do a much better job. I think that is my new calling in life making good tasting GF food and selling it. Seattle only has that one bakery and its really dumpy with lousy customer service. They think since they are the only gf they do not need good customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I'm taking: Prehistoric Human Evolution, Gender- a cross cultural perspective, Environmental Anthropology, & Political Anthropology.
Sounds like some really neat classes especially the poli anth. My first BA is in Government i.e poli sci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
In other news, do any of you have any of these books you'd be willing to sell me/give me/trade with me:

Douglas, The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: The Ultimate Guide to Conception, Birth and

Kind of off topic but I use to know Ann Douglass and was interviewed for the Mother of all Pregnancy Books. After it was published we fell out of touch. She was a regular contributor where I am admin at.

Megan I have a totally stupid question for you. We are right now seriously thinking of taking my 8-year old to Columbia University to their celiac's clinic. I am not sure who all is going if all my kids are going etc. Anyway, if everyone goes we would probably do a taxi from the airport. How do you do a taxi with a baby? Are you allowed to install your own car seat? Of all the details we have to work out with the drs this is the one I am choosing to focus on.

Heidi
#251 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

In NYC it is legal to ride in taxis without a car seat. So, you have the option of just putting her in your lap. That said, you can also install a car seat in a taxi at the airport (I have always done this). No one minds and it is much safer (no cabbie is being trusted with my baby's life!)

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#252 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
In NYC it is legal to ride in taxis without a car seat. So, you have the option of just putting her in your lap. That said, you can also install a car seat in a taxi at the airport (I have always done this). No one minds and it is much safer (no cabbie is being trusted with my baby's life!)
I cannot imagine having a baby on your lap.

One time dh and I took a taxi in Vegas. We were going down back alleys and he was going 80mph at some points. We actually got airborne a number of times. I really did not think we were going to get out of the cab alive.

Heidi
#253 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I have it also! (An oddly high number of May moms with this issue) and even the scalding does not make it taste better. My babies were not pleased with my milk but I have been thinking about trying again soon.

Simkin, Whalley & Keppler, Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: The Complete Guide,
revised

Harper, Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions About Birthing Centers,

Newman & Pitman, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers (Available in the U.S.)

I'd be willing to part with these bolded ones. I'll have to check what edition they are though. Is this your recomended reading for doula cert? I'd HIGHLY recomend adding Simkin's Labor Progress Handbook to that list (no, you can't have mine ). I have the Birth Partner too if you're interested. I have a rediculous pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding library.

~laura
#254 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:

revised

Megan -

I can give you Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. PM me your address
#255 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

PMing both of you! You guys rock!

#256 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Funny the difference a day makes.

Today I:

- got 3 whole jobs done during 3 hours of work this morning.
- fought with hubby because I thought he was coming back here to watch the boys during my hair cut and he wanted me to bring them to him at the theatre, which I had to find out by calling him after I thought he was going to be back.
- went for said hair cut where about 1/4 of the way into it (starting in the back), he told me that I had company (lice, ugh LICE. I hate public school. JK, actually a friend told me her daughter had them recently - and they homeschool, so, as my hairdresser said, they are everywhere.) He told me he was supposed to send me away immediately at that point, but FORTUNATELY, FORTUNATELY he quickly cut around to the front so that I didn't have a 4 inch section at the back of my neck about 8 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. MORTIFYING. He was really kind and sweet about it, but UGH.
- went and picked up Sam from daddy, headed to get the debugging stuff from the store, and realized when I got to the store that my purse was on the seat of HIS car that I had taken so he could have the carseats in the van, so I drove back across town and then back again to the store.
- almost left my shopping bags at the store (thank you kind stranger behind me in line).
- nearly ran into hubby's car because I was in a hurry when getting my purse and almost left my van in drive when hopping out of the car.
- oh, and my babysitter for tonight canceled. hubby has a call into our last possible option and I don't know yet if we get to go or not :.

So many things I can't help but laugh. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Man, I am feeling so domestic today .

Today I made:

- my daughter's skirt for her Christmas Carol costume.
- a bow for her hair that matches.
- babylegs for Sam.
- cut out the stuff for J's Buzz Lightyear fabric book.
- stromboli.
- cookies, though they are still dough.
- baked some ribbon for some barrettes for the girls.

I also got a TP package of AIOs today and stripped them and the liners.

Tomorrow night I have a date!!! : Hubby was given a GC to a fancy schmancy restaurant as a his cast gift from the last show. I'm also getting my hair cut by my favorite stylist in the morning. Generally, I grow my hair until I can afford to go to him again and it's so past time to go. I was about to give up and go somewhere else, but hubby said just go . School is out all next week and hubby is off half of the week. So cool. Gotta work now :-).
#257 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

May mamas are getting infested! That sucks. I was thinking oof you and your domestic accomplishments when I made gingerbread cookies with ds thhis morning. I was thinking that I was having a day like yours Lets hope tomorrow is not like your total Big for you!

#258 of 465 Old 11-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
That 4x-mas present thing is SO cool!
About the teeth: I always thought that they hurt most right before they first break thru, then once the tooth has "cut" the coming out all the way step doesn't seem so bad. . . .They annoy me anyway About the part I bolded: 1)they sell onesies that say "I eat at Hooters" which I find HIlarious & 2)all of the anecdotal stories I've heard from friends indicate that Hooter's is just fine with BF. . .They're boob happy apparently.
I missed that post, but love the 4 -present idea. I like shopping tho'. . . at the thriftstore.

Ditto on the tooth pain. I think E might be getting a 3rd, she's been a little fussier, runny nose is mostly gone, but chewing on lots of stuff.

Hehe, I wondered if they'd just consider it free advertising

Quote:

revised

Douglas, The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: The Ultimate Guide to Conception, Birth and Everything In Between (U.S. or Canadian version)

Harper, Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions About Birthing Centers, Birth Attendants, Water Birth, Home Birth, Hospital Birth

I've got several of these on my wishlist, too. Smart thinking to ask here. Have I mentioned I'm a member of PaperBackSwap.? You post 10 books and can order 2 right away. You pay postage, but it is way cheaper than used bookstores. I've gotten quite a few NFL books, and The Birth Book by Sears--LOVE it. I'm not trying to sound lik an ad, I just love PBS!

Quote:
In NYC it is legal to ride in taxis without a car seat.
drop I wish I could take her out sometimes. I hate it when she cries and screams so hard.

Quote:
Yes Trader Joes has a website. They think since they are the only gf they do not need good customer service.
Thank you! Gah at GF bakery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
- oh, and my babysitter for tonight canceled. hubby has a call into our last possible option and I don't know yet if we get to go or not :. . .
So many things I can't help but laugh. :
Wow, I'm sorry. I'm glad you can laugh at it. I've heard coating your scalp with mayonnaise for 10 min, then rising with vinegar works. Not as toxic chemically as the stuff from the store. I have been blessed to never had lice, gack.

#259 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
"I've got that high lipase thing"
Me too. I just froze it in ice cube trays then transferred to Ziploc baggies, and she didn't mind. It comes out tasting soapy. Good luck!
Quote:
I was wondering how much of a difference scalding it will really make. I should probably experiment some. IIRC when I pump it can hang out in the frigde for a few hours before it starts smelling funny. No matter what (except scalding, because I haven't done that yet) it smells when I take it out of the freezer. I don't know how an exzyme can break down fat at freezing temperatures

I am only going on Tues & Thrurs. Do you think I should just use the pumped milk from one school day for the next school day even if it's Thursday's milk for Tuesday? How much milk do you think I'll need if I'm going to be gone from ~9am to ~5pm?

Quote:
Sounds like some really neat classes especially the poli anth. My first BA is in Government i.e poli sci.
LOL. the political anthropology one is the last class of the day & I am temted to not take it. I don't understand politics. They confuse me. But then I was thinking that this might be a really good oportunity for me to actually start to understand politics so I'm going to try to stick it out.
It's funny feeling excited & nervous at the same time.

~laura
#260 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Political anthropology is likely pretty hit or miss (my PhD is, in part, in political anth) so I would email the prof and ask for the syllabus or the book list (or the book store might have it). If it's an old school political anth class it will likely bore you to tears. The political anth from the 40s and 50s and such is mind numbingly dull. More recent stuff on social movements and politics with a little p is much more interesting (and where my work lies). If you get info on the books, let me know and I can tell you on a scale of one to ten how exciting the class with likely be

The others should be good (I teach that gender course in my own form actually!). Sounds like a good semester.

#261 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I am going to suggest it when I figure out how. I spend too much time on here, I think in smilies. This one the most: and this :
Ugh, I'm sorry, fortunately I haven't gotten bitten that bad, but when she does with those two little sharp teeth, I yelp and scare her. Made her cry once.

I wish. No, but we're getting a Hooters. The newspaper article said the someone in company called Hooters a family restaurant. Whatever. Excuse me, I know what boobs are really useful for. I wonder what they'd do if you nursed in a Hooters? Hehe, that's the only reason I could ever conceive of going into one. Anyway, do they have a website? The three grocery stores are so bad, but since I'm not doing sugar either I'd give anything for good brownies. I made some wheatfree ones for a student once, they weren't so hot. *sigh*
I've made Henry cry multiple times by sneezing or coughing. My husband has too. It's so sad and a LITTLE BIT funny when he gets scared and lets out that little/big wail. He gets over it quickly at least.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Hooters. I grew up really close to the first one, and it's exciting to me to watch them grow. I have a Hooters can cooler I use all the time it's bright orange and reminds me of the tacky old Buccaneers colors from the 80s. I also have a kids Hooters shirt that's an owl and it says Hooters and the two eyes are the biggest googly eyes I've ever seen. It's cute. My sister (has 3 kids) was Hooter girl for Halloween - now I admit that's taking the love a BIT too far. LOL

I'm like 90% sure you can't buy from Trader's Joe's online. I went to one and bought some sunflower seed butter and some pumpkin butter and it was cool and everything but it's not like I die not being close to one. But maybe that's because I'm not close to one and haven't gotten used to how awesome it is. Let me stay ignorant please!

(We're watching Knocked Up! It's so funny! I love all these people. Paul Rudd, everyone from Freaks and Geeks, Dr. Pat from Joe Schmo was even in it! OMG and the conversations between the sister/husband who have kids already OMG I'm laughing so hard. It's so us.)

I have not gotten my period, but I've been eating way too much and now I feel fat. I haven't weighed myself but I know I've gained some weight so now I'm going quit eating like this even if I do feel like eating tons of carbs several times a day. It's cold here, but I'm getting used to it so it won't be long until it's normal to bundle up and get out and enjoy the weather. The transition is hard, but once all the winter stuff is out and accessible and we get used to it, winter is a lot of fun. I will snowshoe around our land with Henry on my back!

ETA: I forgot to tell you guys I left Henry today for almost three hours. Didn't leave any BM or anything. Kind of snap decision for me to go "to town" to pick up a cat from the vet and do a bunch of other errands. I waited until after he had a big feed, then Delia and I took off. 25 minutes away! It was so totally fine - he didn't even get hungry or upset or anything. My husband and our assistant kept him happy, gave him a bit of apple, that's it!
#262 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I

LOL. the political anthropology one is the last class of the day & I am temted to not take it. I don't understand politics. They confuse me. But then I was thinking that this might be a really good opportunity for me to actually start to understand politics so I'm going to try to stick it out.
It's funny feeling excited & nervous at the same time.
I am not the person to ask. I burned out on politics. I use to be a state lobbyist for Children and Poor Families. Because I had no money in my budget to do anything I had to get creative. One year, I made life size cut outs of kids and dressed them in real clothes to give to representatives and senators. It was the only thing I did that made a huge impact and it pissed off a lot of people. This was the year of the great welfare reform. Anyway, I really got burned out. I not nearly as active politically as I once was. It is all about special interest groups and PACs.

Quote:
Political anthropology is likely pretty hit or miss (my PhD is, in part, in political anth) so I would email the prof and ask for the syllabus or the book list (or the book store might have it). If it's an old school political anth class it will likely bore you to tears. The political anth from the 40s and 50s and such is mind numbingly dull. More recent stuff on social movements and politics with a little p is much more interesting (and where my work lies). If you get info on the books, let me know and I can tell you on a scale of one to ten how exciting the class with likely be

The others should be good (I teach that gender course in my own form actually!). Sounds like a good semester.
Sounds like fun the gender class. I am just a geek how much I loved poli sci.

Quote:
ETA: I forgot to tell you guys I left Henry today for almost three hours. Didn't leave any BM or anything. Kind of snap decision for me to go "to town" to pick up a cat from the vet and do a bunch of other errands. I waited until after he had a big feed, then Delia and I took off. 25 minutes away! It was so totally fine - he didn't even get hungry or upset or anything. My husband and our assistant kept him happy, gave him a bit of apple, that's it!
That is great that you got out.

I am having separation issues with Maggie. I have been working a ton. I have about 23 hours of work to do in that is due on today. HMMM and its almost 4 am. Anyway, yesterday was a rough day. I kept on leaking milk every where. It is not like I was not with Maggie she was asleep.

Last night Maggie was laying on her back and she sat up on her own. First time. She has been trying for a while now but her head is so dang big it has been quite a struggle.

Heidi
#263 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Judging by my department my guess is that it will be the new, cool kind of political anthro, just guessing though. I'll find out what books are involved & ask you though! Hey, is it possible you have some anthro books that I might need that you'd be willing to trade for the birth books?

Quote:
I've made Henry cry multiple times by sneezing or coughing. My husband has too. It's so sad and a LITTLE BIT funny when he gets scared and lets out that little/big wail. He gets over it quickly at least.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Hooters. I grew up really close to the first one, and it's exciting to me to watch them grow. I have a Hooters can cooler I use all the time it's bright orange and reminds me of the tacky old Buccaneers colors from the 80s. I also have a kids Hooters shirt that's an owl and it says Hooters and the two eyes are the biggest googly eyes I've ever seen. It's cute. My sister (has 3 kids) was Hooter girl for Halloween - now I admit that's taking the love a BIT too far. LOL

OMG, Mickey cries any time ANYONE makes a loud sound. Jason does this weird sound that he says "scratches his pallet" and it freaks mickey out to no end.
Are you a Bucs fan emiLy?

~laura
#264 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 12:00 PM

You dear women talking about classes and school and such are making me wanna get another degree....
I was so desperate to finish grad work a few months ago, but now I find myself surfing around looking at PhD programs on the net.
:
It's like I CRAVE the student loan debt or something....

Grace Comes.

#265 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Last night I held a woman's group in my studio. It was lovely and about a dozen women came and we discussed the topic:
Celebrating Life through Self-Love.

Well... my sweet babe was in tears when she came in at the end of the group. Everything turned out fine, but it was so stressful for me for a minute there! And I am currently struggling with how in the world I am going to run several groups a week and take clients in Jan. It's so hard not to just be there for her 100%... it's like it hurts me deep down in my gut. But my work is important to me and I have an excellent situation working part time doing what I truly love. I just have to resolve this feeling in my gut... and I am having a hard time seeing how it will be possible...and the clock is ticking away....

Help Mamas! I need your advice and wisdom...
:

Grace Comes.

#266 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
You dear women talking about classes and school and such are making me wanna get another degree....
I was so desperate to finish grad work a few months ago, but now I find myself surfing around looking at PhD programs on the net.
:
I have the debt and now I want to become something that has no real relationship to that degree Dh is like "ok" but I know he thinks maybe I am a little funny.

#267 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Judging by my department my guess is that it will be the new, cool kind of political anthro, just guessing though. I'll find out what books are involved & ask you though! Hey, is it possible you have some anthro books that I might need that you'd be willing to trade for the birth books?
Most of my stuff will likely not work for the classes you are taking (becuase I took classes like Environmental Anth and such in the late 90's and they likely are using new books) but if I do have anything you need, I'd be happy to trade. Some of the gender/politics stuff might include books I own. Let me know what books you are looking for!

#268 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Last night I held a woman's group in my studio. It was lovely and about a dozen women came and we discussed the topic:
Celebrating Life through Self-Love.

Well... my sweet babe was in tears when she came in at the end of the group. Everything turned out fine, but it was so stressful for me for a minute there! And I am currently struggling with how in the world I am going to run several groups a week and take clients in Jan. It's so hard not to just be there for her 100%... it's like it hurts me deep down in my gut. But my work is important to me and I have an excellent situation working part time doing what I truly love. I just have to resolve this feeling in my gut... and I am having a hard time seeing how it will be possible...and the clock is ticking away....

Help Mamas! I need your advice and wisdom...
:
This, I believe, is one of the core struggles for mamas everywhere because at it's heart, the issue is how to balance as asense of self with you role as the mother of little ones. It remains a struggle even with they are bigger and issues like milk or naps are no longer central, although I think in some ways it gets easier (either with practice or because they change).

I feel like it is important for my children to see that I am not simply an extension of their wants/needs/desires but a person who has my own wants/needs/desires as well as their mother. I met a woman when I was pg with my first who had recently gotten a divorce and enrolled in school (and signed up for one of my gender courses). She was meeting with me over some other issue but towards the end, she asked about my pg and the baby on the way. She got very serious and told me that when she had gotten pg with her first she dropped everything and was a mom and nothing else. She told me that for both of her kids she was always doing everything for them - taking them places, laying with them, reading, cooking, cleaning, etc and this was all she did everyday (no hobbies, special time to herself, etc). She told me that she had just gotten divorced and both her kids had choosen to stay with her xDh, a decision that shocked her, but she realized, she told me, that neither kid had any respect for her as a person because they had always just bossed her around and seen her as this extension of their own needs/desires and not a real person. Anyhow, her story stuck with me and at times when I was worried about needing to do my own things and how my son would handle that, it gave me some extra strenght.

I have always been AP, very close to my kids and doing my absolute best for them and I know you are also. For me, though, I also needed to do a few (less for sure, but some still) of the things that make me who I am. I needed to work out sometimes. I needed to work on my degree. I needed to hang out with a friend or go on a date with dh. And it has been okay. We have worked it out with dh and family and friends and my son is a wonderfully well adjusted little person.

When you are looking at it fro the outside and worrying, it is easy to feel very anxious, but little A will survive (and thrive) with a mama who is also a person and not just a mama.

#269 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
:
Well, if you just keep going you can be on eternal deferment & let your estate take care of the debt when you die. That's my plan anyway. Shhhh don't tell the feds.

Quote:
I have the debt and now I want to become something that has no real relationship to that degree Dh is like "ok" but I know he thinks maybe I am a little funny.
Funny, I want to be a midwife & I thought finishing my degree in Anthro would be a good match Though I can see how it doesn't exactly go both ways
I feel like I'll never be a midwife. . .it's a lifetime away. I wonder what will change between now and then. . .maybe a nursing degree. . .or medical school . . . so many possibilities.

~laura
#270 of 465 Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
:
Hey I can so relate. I think I am a professional student. I have 3 BAs and two assoicate degrees and one advanced certificate. I will not tell you about my student loan debt.

Quote:
What do you want to do now?

Quote:
Well, if you just keep going you can be on eternal deferment & let your estate take care of the debt when you die. That's my plan anyway. Shhhh don't tell the feds.

Actually student loan debt is discharged at the time of death.

Heidi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page