May 2007 Mamas ~ It's November! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get to start the thread this month, how exciting.

Come chat!:

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#2 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Clay had a fever yeasterday and his been much more cranky than usual (although his cranky is quite mellow still - people marvel and it mellowness, it really is amazing). My ds1 had a fever with teething everytime, so perhaps we have a tooth on the way.

Today is studio-moving-day for my dh so I am off to strap a baby on my back and get to work It is also Dia de Los Muertos and I am sporting a new sling traded with Alana that is fabulous. Skulls and roses

T or T was great - out neighborhood goes all out for Halloween. This year we made it in Time Out New York and the NY Times for how great our event is. Houses who participate have to have 2000+ peices of candy! Our kids had a great time -- an elf, frankenstein, a pixie, and supergirl. We always go with all the cousins.

Alright, off to move!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM

We had great fun too last night. We live in a fairly rural area, but there are towns on either side of us and people in certain neighborhoods go all out and everyone travels there. I took the 4 younger kids and they had so much fun (oldest went with a friend). Around dark all the teens came out so then it was crowded, but also time for us to go, so it worked out perfectly - until the starter in my van went out. So we ended up leaving the van parked where it was (at the elementary school, which is right next to the neighborhood) and walking to our church about 4 blocks away on the other side of the neighborhood. Fortunately, the teens from church had an activity, so a friend was there and took half my kids home and hubby finished rehearsal right at the same time and was able to take the rest of us home. So, a mess, but worked out with no major problems. I might just get into the Halloween spirit easier next year (I'm NOT a Halloween person usually).
#4 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM

subbing

TOT was great fun.

Hey I have a day of the dead skulls RS too! I plan on getting one of these tatted one day in the nearish future.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#5 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Holy crap! I just weighed Mickey. He's 23lb.: I wanted to see where that is on the WHO charts, but I can't find them. Anyone have it handy?

~laura
#6 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 02:28 PM

We had a pretty good Halloween. No trick or treating, but we went to a little party at the Birth Center, they had a pictures room and I got his pic taken, then just hanging out with the midwives and mamas. The cutest costumes I saw was a little family dress up as a Pinocchio theme. The dad was Pinocchio, the mom was the Blue Fairy, and the baby was Jiminy Cricket.. too cute!

Our babies are turning a HALF YEAR this month! Wow.. time really does fly when you have a baby!

Sebastian started pulling himself up onto all-fours. I think he is going to start crawling within the next week or two!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#7 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Holy crap! I just weighed Mickey. He's 23lb.: I wanted to see where that is on the WHO charts, but I can't find them. Anyone have it handy?
not sure which one you want, weight for length or weight for age or ? so here's a link to the links lol:
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/index.html
#8 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Am I reading that right? Sam is about 15.25 pounds or 6.9 kg and 27 inches or 68.6 cm - which puts him right about 3rd percentile weight for length. He might be 26 inches which puts him right on the 15th percentile line. Weight for age is right about 15th percentile too. I'm growing a runt . Every once in a while, I wonder if my milk is defective, but he grew slower on the inside too. I think it is just his way.

- he just tried to eat his first paper. Silly monkey.
#9 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Here is a halloween pic of Sebastian as a Rooster:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75..._halloween.jpg

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#10 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM

quick question, what does "subbing" mean? i'm not so good with the internet lingo...

DS ate half a banana last night and was looooving it so much. it really was adorable.

i *think* i'm doing the math correctly, he was born 05/21, and he'll be 24 weeks this monday. no? 6 months is just so crazy. i can't believe he's been here this long. at the same time, i really am starting to want to freeze time. i'm liking his age a lot right now. maybe thats because suddenly its become a heck of a lot easier to put him down for naps. its really turned everything around.
#11 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasaurus View Post
quick question, what does "subbing" mean? i'm not so good with the internet lingo...
If you go to the top on the MCD tool bar you will see left to right User CP FAQ etc. Click on the quick links and under Misc. is subscribe to thread. If you subscribe to the thread then you can get email notification when someone post. You have to post to the thread thought to get email notification. So someone might not have anything to say so will say subbing instead.

Heidi
#12 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Actually, you don't have to post to the thread, you can click on the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top and pick Subscribe to Thread from the list.

Kayleigh is 97th percentile for height and about 90th for weight. At least she's well proportioned!!

Oh, and the tooth came through finally.... and she's still biting me :

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#13 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Sebastian looks soooo cute LizzyQ!

I have to share one of my little ninja Akasha:

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/pictures.jsp

:

Grace Comes.

#14 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM

I don't do email notifications. I keep track of the threads to which I post in my UserCP

~laura
#15 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Hi,
Andrew was a kangaroo for Halloween and was very cute. Grandma and Grandpa and his Auntie (my sis) came over to see him and say hi, so that was nice.

I can't believe the babes are going to be six months. Six months of terrible sleep...

Grandma brought Andrew "treats" of babyfood and rice cereal from Whole Foods. She thinks that starting him on solids will help solve the sleep problem. I am very leery of giving him rice cereal with breastmilk, but I keep having moments more and more often where I feel like caving in. My dad told me I look like sh*t--I am super pale, I have gone down to ten pounds UNDER my prepregnancy weight...none of my clothes fit anymore--I swear my face has aged so much and I am only 30...I feel like the little one is sucking my lifeblood. He is so happy and healthy and robust and I am withering away.

Anyway, I don't usu. participate in the monthly threads cos I don't have time to read all the pages, but since this one was new, I thought I would duck in. Hope all you mamas are doing OK out there. Hugs to all.
#16 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
ED: I am so tired of avoiding wheat. I still feel hungry when I eat, generally. And I know I'm eating healthy stuff. I worry about getting enough to make enough milk for Elisabeth. I would love the rice flour pizza dough and cookie recipes. Please post them!!!

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cup rice flour I use half brown and half white rice flour
1/4 ounce gluten-free quick-rise yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cup warm water; divided (120-130 degrees)
1 tablespoon honey
Cornmeal (optional)
1 cup prepared pizza sauce

Directions:
Combine flour, yeast, salt and xanthan gum in large bowl. Stir in 1 cup water, olive oil and honey.

Use hands to work dough (dough will be soft and crumbly). Add just enough of the remaining 1/4 cup water to hold mixture together. Knead dough in bowl 5 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

Lightly grease 12-inch pizza pan; sprinkle with cornmeal, if desired. Flatten dough into round disk; press dough into pan. Add sauce, and desired toppings.

Bake at 425 degrees 20 to 30 minutes, or until crust is brown and cheese melted. (Timing varies according to amount and number of toppings.) Use a sharp knife or pizza wheel to cut into wedges.

Variation
Basil-Garlic Pizza Dough: Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dried) and 2 cloves minced garlic after the honey.

Yield: One, 12-inch crust

Heidi
#17 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Did the WAH thread start?

Heidi
#18 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Here we are! I can't believe it's six months already! Wasn't I just pregnant?
Grey has gotten pretty good at sitting up this last week. He'll still fall over after a bit, but it doesn't usually bother him too much.
TorTing was fun yesterday. I'm glad I had my wrap or I don't know how I'd have handled two small kids. All my neighbors were shocked Grey was so big already. Guess it's going by fast for them too. They remember when he was born because I was walking around the neighborhood after my water broke. I walked by 24 hours later and was still pregnant and I made them nervous. Haha.
No teeth yet. I've been expecting some for about two months now. I guess he's just a heavy drooler.
#19 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm usually a lurker, but since the thread hasn't reached an enorormous length and I'm hopped up on Halloween candy...I just wanted to say "hi". It's great having somewhere to go and read (and see) about children going through the same things mine is! And I don't know how you all the the energy to do costumes. The only reason why I had one was because my mom bought it for him. hehehe.
#20 of 465 Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
yikes!? 23lbs? he's gotta be off the chart! go breastmilk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasaurus View Post
suddenly its become a heck of a lot easier to put him down for naps. its really turned everything around.
i'm having the opposite problem. ezra is sleeping sooooo much less these days & it's so much more difficult to get him to sleep. the ONLY way he'll nap is when i wrap him on my back & walk around the house....non-stop. it helps if i'm talking, too, so i get a few good phone calls in each day. i really think it's because he wants to crawl. we have a household bet going on to guess when he'll officially crawl. i have tomorrow, kim has the 6th & dh the 7th. we shall see.... is there only one crawler in the group, so far?

stephanie asl.gif

#21 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
not sure which one you want, weight for length or weight for age or ? so here's a link to the links lol:
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

... is there only one crawler in the group, so far?
Dude. the top of that chart (0-6m weight)--I mean the *top*, like the very top line that borders the margin is 10.3kg which ~equals 23lb.
I don't know how to measure height on a baby. I'll give it a try though.
I don't even think you can blame breastmilk for that.

He still hasn't rolled over btw.
Is that something to be worried about?

I want to upload our halloween pics. The boys were matching devils.

~laura
#22 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Did the WAH thread start?
No, I've been too busy... working! Just putting the little one to sleep, then I'll see if I can get to it.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#23 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 AM

Oh, lurkers, fun!!! Hi everyone! Bellita, please, YOU go get yourself some treats from Whole Foods! And your mom and dad can come over and be with your baby while you nap a bit! Or take a bath, or whatever. She can use her grandma powers for good.

Henry (and Maggie) are going to be six months tomorrow. Tomorrow!! I can't believe it. We want to do something, but I'm not sure what. Can't decide if we should do half of something celebrating his half birthday. Or something to do with sixes for six months. We'll see if we end up doing anything cool. I just want to make sure to weigh him naked and measure him.

I'm feeling the need to get more active. I still haven't established any physical activity into my life. I was about to type routine, but I don't have any routines about anything! Every day is a new adventure.

In Henry news, I saw him get himself into sitting position from crawling today. It was exciting - Delia and I cheered him on.
#24 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

i'm having the opposite problem. ezra is sleeping sooooo much less these days & it's so much more difficult to get him to sleep. the ONLY way he'll nap is when i wrap him on my back & walk around the house....non-stop. it helps if i'm talking, too, so i get a few good phone calls in each day. i really think it's because he wants to crawl. we have a household bet going on to guess when he'll officially crawl. i have tomorrow, kim has the 6th & dh the 7th. we shall see.... is there only one crawler in the group, so far?
yeah i spoke too soon on this. of course he only napped for 20 minutes today. i swear everytime i think we're turning a corner, and i start TALKING about it, we take a million steps backwards.

ahh the joys of motherhood...
#25 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 AM

Hello everyone. Dh was sent out on the California fires hes been gone over a week. When the call came in I just had a breakdown... it had been so lone since seeing him and no set time on when hes coming back. I put the kids in the car and drove to Arizona to see family. Couldn't stand being alone anymore.
Anyway I'll tell more about things when I can keep my eyes open... miss you ladies... feel so disoriented from 'real life'.

P.s. ashlyn rolls over now... phew thought something might be wrong

Mommy to Two
#26 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Henry (and Maggie) are going to be six months tomorrow. Tomorrow!! I can't believe it. We want to do something, but I'm not sure what. Can't decide if we should do half of something celebrating his half birthday. Or something to do with sixes for six months. We'll see if we end up doing anything cool. I just want to make sure to weigh him naked and measure him.
It seems unreal 6 months already. Seems like yesterday I was just waiting for her to be born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemommaof1 View Post
Hello everyone. Dh was sent out on the California fires hes been gone over a week. When the call came in I just had a breakdown... it had been so lone since seeing him and no set time on when hes coming back. I put the kids in the car and drove to Arizona to see family. Couldn't stand being alone anymore.
Anyway I'll tell more about things when I can keep my eyes open... miss you ladies... feel so disoriented from 'real life'.

HUGS congratulations on the rollover.

Heidi
#27 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'm usually a lurker, but since the thread hasn't reached an enorormous length and I'm hopped up on Halloween candy...I just wanted to say "hi". It's great having somewhere to go and read (and see) about children going through the same things mine is!
Ditto. Just saying hi to all of you!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#28 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemommaof1 View Post

It must be really hard for you with your son and Ashlyn with your dh away, but I think it's pretty awesome that he's doing something so important.
#29 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Elisabeth isn't crawling yet, but soon! She just started getting on all fours and rocking and was turning last night without being on her tummy. She's been kinda crabby, do they crab after the tooth has come through the gum? Or maybe she just wants to move? Her second tooth came in Monday morning. I've never gotten to see these things happen step by step, and it's so fun!

My turned 30 yesterday! I'm not old enough to be married to a 30 yr old! :

Welcome all you lurker-mamas, this is a fun thread! Bellita, sorry they're pressuring you to do solids, but at least they didn't bring candy and expect you to feed it to him! My IL's keep asking about the rice cereal. Hehe, now when I go by the baby food jars, I mutter crap-in-a-jar to myself. I gave E a slice of apple, and she scraped an adult-size bite's worth off.

firemommaof1, I miss my when he's gone just overnight. I can't imagine weeks on end and not knowing. That's a hard, dangerous job, to boot. I'll be praying for his safety.

Heidi, Thanks so much for the recipe. My likes pizza on Saturday nights, and he usually makes it , but since I'm not eating wheat, we haven't, so this will be fun. Pizza tomorrow night! I'll get your box out sometime this coming week, need to finish up a project!

Thanks for the idea of the towel/baby quilt under the sheet. I had that idea kinda, but has her on a baby blanket with part of it rolled around the second blanket, but the edge I was on would bother me.

For you co-sleepers, how do you keep your LOs from being overheated? I don't always have her right next to me, so she's just right in a onesie and a blanket on her, but when she's next to me nursing, and we fall asleep, she soaks the sheets sweating!

How to measure baby: We stand her up and hold a yardstick behind her. Get the same numbers as the dr's office. I think she weighs at least 16. Ten lbs of mama's milk--wow! Oh gotta run, she's awake!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#30 of 465 Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post

Heidi, Thanks so much for the recipe. My likes pizza on Saturday nights, and he usually makes it , but since I'm not eating wheat, we haven't, so this will be fun. Pizza tomorrow night! I'll get your box out sometime this coming week, need to finish up a project!

The crust will be more like a quick bread so you just pat it into the pan. OH I totally forgot. I changed the recipe as the crust was not getting done. Precook the crust for 15-20 minutes then add toppings then bake.

Heidi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page