Is a diaper pail worth it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-04-2003, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, this is baby2 and I will have 2 in diapers when this babe is born for who knows how long....

We always intended to get one with ds. When he was a newbie we just put his diapers in a bucket and dumped the bucket when it was full. They didn't stink so that didn't matter. Now that ds is starting to really enjoy eating solids and is eating 24/7 () and his diapers are getting more stinky. We aren't able to put them in the outside trash so they go in the kitchen.

Anyway, since we are about to add to the family would it be worth our while to buy an actual diaper pail. Not necessarily a diaper genie...not sure I like them. I hate the one in the church nursery.

So, is it a waste of money?

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 13 Old 08-04-2003, 12:05 PM

Are you using disposables or cloth?

edited:
err.. nevermind. i just read your post more clearly. we use cloth so i don't have any good ideas for storing disposables, althought i suppose you could try adding a deodisk or tea tree oil to the diaper pail to mask the odor.
#3 of 13 Old 08-04-2003, 02:37 PM

I have a diaper genie for the disposibles- I like it, but it took me a while to get the hang of it. With the toddler poop, a special pail is really worth it unless you empty your inside garbage every day. The stink builds up in the house pretty quick otherwise.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 13 Old 08-05-2003, 01:12 PM

We have a Diaper Champ for dd..she's 2yo now. It wasn't as important for her diapers when she was nuring exclusively...but man o man did they start stinking when she started solid :-).

We actually have the Diaper Champ and the Fisher Price diaper pail. Both work VERY well and contain the smells great. They also both use regular kitchen trash bags instead of refills which we LOVE.

The FP one isn't bad, but in comparison to the Champ..it's a tiny bit more difficult to use. The Champ has a dome top w/ a spot for the diaper in the center....you turn the handle over the top of the pail (this is so hard to explain but it's dead obvious if you see the pail) and a weight in the lid pushes the diaper into the pail.

We literally empty the pails once a week (dd is at daycare 3days) on trash day and have no problems w/ smell...other than when emptying them of course.

We opted for these pails because they didn't need refills. If I had to do it over again.. I would get two Champs. We have one pail upstairs in dd's room and the other is in the LR next to a Jenny Lind style changing table that we picked up at a consignment store for $20...one of the best things we did :-).

HTH

Christine
#5 of 13 Old 08-05-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of just using regular trash bags!!

Around how much does the Champ run??

#6 of 13 Old 08-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Can you dump the poopies into the toilet before you put the diaper in your trashcan? Doesn't work with mushy poop, but well-formed ones should just plop right in to be flushed away.
#7 of 13 Old 08-05-2003, 04:38 PM

We use both cloth and disposables. I've tried the Fisher Price pail and the Diaper Genie (I have 2 Diaper Genies I got for free since I do product testing for Playtex). JMO but for disposables the DG really did work a lot better but it's definately not for cloth diapers.
Though I usually just toss the disposables in the trash and take it out 2+ times a day. I also agree with the poster who suggested dumping the poops, when possible. That will really cut down on odors. HTH

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#8 of 13 Old 08-06-2003, 12:24 AM

We had the genie thing when my son was tiny, but as he got older - it smelled pretty bad.

We used a trash can, and just emptied it often.... he was in day care, so if I took it out on my way to work, there was nothing lying around the house all day, then we'd have a few at night and then OUT again in the morning. WOrked well for us, I had a tiny trash can on top of the changing table, and used grocery store bags.....
#9 of 13 Old 08-06-2003, 12:25 PM

don't know how much this will help with disposables...(our chief reason for cd-ing is the perfume smell that disposables have and dh hates it).

anyhow with our cd pail each time we put a "loaded smelling" dipe in the pail we take a little shaker and sprinkle the top with baking soda. I should probably also note that we have a trash can with a lose-fitting lid for dipes. I think it was 5 bucks at walmart.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 13 Old 08-06-2003, 12:30 PM

We decided on a Diaper Champ when we actually do get a diaper pail - right now, we just reuse the plastic grocery store bags since doing the diapers every other day doesn't build up enough ick to have bf diapers stink. We worked out the cost and it's a LOT cheaper to just use regular trash bags in the DC than buying the special ones for pails like the Diaper Genie.

The Diaper Champ on babiesrus.com is $30 - I'd imagine it's about the same cost at the actual store, plus you wouldn't have to pay shipping.
#11 of 13 Old 08-06-2003, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!!

We might just try a regular trash can first then see what happens. I tried dumping the poop before throwing the diaper out. but ds is just now starting solids at 15 months. Well, he ate solids before but basically just to play not really to fill his tummy. I think since I'm pg my milk is at the point where it starts to change flavor and such so he is starting to see the advantage of solids So, his poops are still kinda breastmilky.......

Maybe I'll register for a diaper champ since we need less for this babe since we still have ds's stuff!!

#12 of 13 Old 08-07-2003, 03:43 PM

We've had great luck with a regular pail we got at the Container Store for around $7. It has a lid that you can snap shut with clamps so that the kids can't take the top off. Let me see if I can find it on the website for you.
#13 of 13 Old 08-07-2003, 03:47 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page