Am I feeding my baby enough? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 8 month old that is breastfed. We started him on solids when he was 6 months old and he has done great. Currently, he usually gets some baby yogurt for breakfast (he eats about 5-8 bites), a cube of food (I make my own and freeze it) at lunch and another cube at dinner along with a serving of fruit and rice cereal mixed together. He doesn't usually eat it all. Plus, he nurses whenever he wants. Is this enough? I lurk on another baby board with babies all 7-8 months and it seems most of them were feeding their babies a lot more than I do. Some were feeding 2 jars at every meal, and added in many snacks like Biter Biscuits throughout the day. Should I be feeding more? Or, is the amount I give Christian just fine?

Thanks.
#2 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 04:42 PM

I don't think there's any need to feed him more than he seems to want. He is probably still getting a lot of his nutrition from nursing. Just keep your eyes open for any new cues that he is hungry for *food* rather than milk. I was taken by surprise when that started to happen!
#3 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 05:06 PM

I have a 7.5 mo and have been reading and researching this subject for the past while. We've yet to start solids. The consensus seems to be that for the first year bm or formula should form the bulk of your baby's intake. Solids are more for the novelty. Since you're nursing on demand I would think your babe's getting just what he needs and wants. Is his weight good? Is he healthy? These are good indicators.
#4 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 05:20 PM

My dd is 8 mos and still exclusively breast fed. Solids are a novelty, they are for learning about food. You don't want to replace nursings with sold food meals b/c you are taking away a whole and complete food and subsituting a lesser quality food. Solids should be an addition to milk, not a replacement. Those other parents are probably overfeeding solids, as I tend to see being more common in our culture. BM is your child's food and solids are for fun. Frankly, I was surprised at how much you were feeding. When dd finally does decide to start solids, we will be taking it very slow. I think what you've got is fine. It's best to let your child lead the way.
Lauren
#5 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 07:04 PM

I have worried about my dd's growth as she is really little. She didn't want solids in any form until after she was 12 months old. I just followed her lead! She nurses like crazy, totally on demand.

Now that we have started solids, she is eating great.

The thing that has helped us so much is sign language. DD is now almost 14 months old and is using sign to communicate to me when she is hungry. She says "eat, eat, eat" and does her sign for eating. I ask her if she wants milk and she makes her sign for milk. If she doesn't sign milk, I assume she wants solids and we feed her. She eats 8 oz of homemade rice cereal and an entire banana for breakfast AFTER nursing both breasts! She is now up to three meals a day and we take it slow with new foods but she is a good eater and still small. She has consistently gained weight but is petite.

The key is to follow your baby's lead and know that breastmilk is the right food for her as veganmamma said!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#6 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, initially, I wanted to wait until 7-8 months to even try solids, but DS thought otherwise. I followed his lead and started at 6 months. He was MORE than ready, LOL. He is certainly a healthy weight (a bit of a chunk) so I guess all is well. I was stupid to doubt myself actually, but they seem to feed their babies so much on the other board. I really don't feed mine all that much. His "cubes" of food are the size of an ice cube, which isn't all that much. And, he doesn't always eat all of it anyway.

I'll just keep doing what feels right (and quit reading that other board, :LOL) I don't know why I read that one anyway since I don't agree with a LOT of what the parents do at that board. :
#7 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I have worried about my dd's growth as she is really little.
Miss Snazzy Jazzy> My dd is small too, and I am always asking DP if he thinks she is too skinny or does she look pale, but the truth is, she looks great, even if she is small. I don't expect dd will be interested in solids anytime soon.

L
#8 of 15 Old 08-04-2003, 11:37 PM

Melanie... Your ds sounds like my dd when she was that age. He might even be eating a little more than she did! She's now 10 1/2 months, and just in the past couple of weeks her eating has really picked up. I agree that a lot of people overfeed their babies solids. He'll eat as much as he's hungry for, and as long as he's healthy and gaining weight there's no reason to force more on him.
#9 of 15 Old 08-05-2003, 11:00 AM

We're having a similar issue. My DD is 10 1/2 mos and we have noticed that despite our efforts to get her to nurse more during the day and/or eat solids, she's not interested in eating much during the day and instead wants to nurse all night. Initially, when she first started to lose interest in nursing again (we've been through this before) we thought she was ready to start eating more solid foods - and for a week or so, that seemed to be the case. But now she's lost interest in that too. She seems to want what's on our plate as opposed to the small cubed up or pureed food we've been offering her. But even if I give her small bite sized pieces of what I'm eating, her interest is only fleeting. I'm exhausted from all the night nursing - any advice?
#10 of 15 Old 08-05-2003, 11:26 AM

Melanie - thank you for this question! I frequent some other places also and have Been astounded at how much food they feed their children! I was thinking I was underfeeding Lilly. Many of them have done 3 meals a day since day one and are up to at least 1-2 jars of food per feeding at my daughter's age (8 1/2 months).

Right now, Lilly only takes one real meal per day. At Breakfast time, we generally share some fruit and she eats some puffed rice cereal. . . and then at dinner she has a "real" meal of cereal and 1 veggie cuBe and 1 fruit cuBe. Sometimes in the afternoon she has a teething Biscuit or puffed rice, But that's it. I'm glad to hear other people talk aBout how much/little they feed their munchkins!!!

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#11 of 15 Old 08-05-2003, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mon. Christian really only has one "good" meal a day as well. He almost always eats dinner. Usually he will have something for lunch, but not finish a whole serving and breakfast is hit or miss, :LOL And, honestly, sometimes I forget to feed him lunch if we are out and he's okay with that.

It's funny, too, because on this other board, they are SO scheduled. One person asked what the babies were eating and a typical response was: 6:00 am- 6 oz. bottle, 7 am- one jar of pears and one serving of rice cereal, 10 am- teething biscuit, 11:30am- 1 jar of chicken dinner and one jar of green beans, and so forth. It just seemed to rigid. My response was more along the lines of "nurses upon waking, eats a few bites of yogurt somewhere between 8-10am, usually, eats most of a cube of food around lunchtime, nurses whenever he wants to, etc..." :LOL Very different from the rest of the responses. Like I said though, I have NO IDEA why I hang out there. : Of course, I DID talk 2 moms out of letting their babies CIO at 6 months, so that's a good reason, I guess.
#12 of 15 Old 08-05-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

maighdhlin- as for nursing all night, I wish I knew what to tell you, but we are in the same boat, unfortunately. DS nurses constantly at night and I am so worn out and tired.
#13 of 15 Old 08-05-2003, 10:54 PM

Some babies are just bigger eaters than other babies. It sounds to me like your baby is getting plenty. I would say if he is not getting through everything you offer then he is full. When he starts finishing off every meal, you might want to try offering more to see if he is still hungry.
#14 of 15 Old 08-06-2003, 11:53 AM

I think you are doing just fine. My baby is 9 months and still on no solids. She gags if we try and give them to her so we aren't pushing it. I also post on a board for November 2002 babies and I am astounded by how much they feed their children. I am sure they are astounded though by how little I feed mine!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#15 of 15 Old 08-06-2003, 03:02 PM

Maighdhlin, often when babies are doing what you describe it is because they are too distracted by all the interesting things around them and all the new things they're learning to do, and they're just too busy to stop and eat. Then they make up for it by nursing all night. Something that might help is to go into a darkish room or to put a blanket around your dd as she nurses (so she can't look around). And you will probably need to initiate nusing for awhile. That means taking her into another room (dark and quiet) or sitting with her with a blanket around her, offering the breast (sometimes repeatedly) and waiting. Doing this, she shouldn't be so hungry at night.

Ds never did like having a blanket over him while nursing (even very lightly), so we did the darkish room (and a boring room -- our bedroom, which only has a bed in it). We laid down on the bed and cuddled while he nursed, and he liked that. After awhile we didn't need the dark room anymore, but he still needed me to initiate nursing for quite awhile longer (at that point, thought, I would just ask if he needed to nurse -- he would often say no, but then come back in a few minutes and ask to nurse ). Once he hit a growth spurt, the stage ended (I guess he was just too hungry to ignore it).

I can't really give advice on her not wanting solids, since we didn't start ds on solids until a year old, and he didn't go through the kind of stage you describe after that. I do have one thought, though (but I have no idea how it will work for someone her age). He was pretty slow about accepting solids (and we were pretty slow about introducing them because of allergy worries), but once he was eating better and eating more things, we found that a nibble tray was great. That way the food was always available and he could eat on the run.

HTH

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page