travel with newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How soon postpartum would you have been up to traveling. Her's the situation.
Ideally once we have a baby I would liketo spend the first few days home with just dh then travel back home to Michigan from Texas with the baby. I'd rather go stay at my moms & get spoiled than have everyone come here , make a mess, then leave me with it as I am POSITIVE they would!

How many days after you had your babies did you feel up & alive albeit tired but semifunctional & able to lay in the care?

My DH would drive & we would take our time getting there and stay in hotels on our way. I am thinking by the end of the first week I would be ready my sister thinks I am nuts but I don't see an issue if I am feeling ok & the baby isn't having any major health issues.

I'll alos have access to a pediatrician (a great one at that) *& both a MW & my sisters ob-gyn.

Anybody??

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#2 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 06:01 PM

As long as my dh was supportive and very ready to help, I think I could have managed at about one week---but keep in mind that I had a very normal, healthy vaginal birth. You never know how a birth will go, no matter how well it is "planned". Emergency c-secs, hemmorhaging, jaundice, severe PPD, and other problems do happen. I wouldn't make any promises or set-in-stone plans, if I were you. Just roll with the punches.
I know a lady who went backpacking around Europe with her four week old. A little crazy, but if she rode trains and stayed in hostels at four weeks, I'd imagine it's possible to take a comfy car ride with a sleepy newborn at a week.
Don't push yourself too hard, though. And have a nice birth!
#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 06:12 PM

At 13 days with my second we drove from southern Maine to Annapolis, MD (600 miles maybe?) with a 20 month old too.

We just went to see the company dh was interested in working for/for his interview. We stayed in hotels.

One problem I had was mastitis. Riding in the car niether boy nursed as much and it was bad. I suppose that low supply might be the biggest problem if you were to spend several days with spread out nursings, a week old baby really needs to nurse frequently- even every 30 or 40 minutes.

I even hemmoraged pretty badly with him, like could hardly stand up for the first few days with out feeling faint.
#4 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 06:59 PM

I'd be most afraid about the nursing relationship prior to about 4 weeks or so post partum, depending on the baby. When my baby was a newborn, he nursed all the time. It wasn't usually very long, but it was very frequent. And there was no way I could have nursed him in his carseat at that time. I hate to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't plan on doing it for at least a month.
#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 07:09 PM

We took DS on a 5 hour car ride when he was a week and a half. He was awake quite a bit of the time, but just looking around (he was/is a very alert baby). I ran my finger down his nose after he had been awake for quite sometime and he closed his eyes and fell asleep. We did stop for him to eat, even if he was sleeping after a while to wake him and make sure he ate. He got fussy about 10 minutes before we got there and was ready to be out of his seat. I had a c-section and my DH took me down to my mom's and left me for a week for some help, it was nice to have company too during the day. We couldn't afford for DH to be off any longer than the first half week he was born, the next week was really hard with no one here to help, so it was nice when we got there.

It did take a lot longer than usual and was a long ride in a day, but it was not bad.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#6 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 08:14 PM

You may want to get a breast pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter. IF you have supply issues then you may really need to have that stimulation more than when the baby wants to nurse. If you were home you could keep the baby latched on all day, in a car you can't really do that.
#7 of 8 Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for all your insight. We wouldn't do it so soon if it wasn't a big deal. DH's grandma can't travel, she's on oxygen all the time plus she's a nervous nelly. & it is important to us that she sees the baby when it is timy.

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2003, 07:17 PM

My MIL lives 3 hours away and we made the first trip down when DD was only 3 weeks old. She was so tiny she slept the whole ride there and then back again (I nursed her right before getting in the car and immediately when we got there/home(.

She also took her first plane ride when she was just barely 6 weeks old. It wasn't bad at all - she nursed and slept the whole time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page