Gentle Discipline - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 10 1/2 mos, and like her father, EXTREMELY curious and adventurous. She is so mischievious! I'm worried that she's going to be one of those kids that figures out how to open windows/doors, climb over gates, etc. I'd like to start teaching her what things are dangerous and/or off limits. She's already trying to torment our dogs. Right now we do a gentle "uh-uh" when she's off in a direction she shouldn't go. I've only given her a louder, sharper "No!" once when she was trying to stick her finger in an electric socket under my chair in the doctors office the other day (can you believe they don't put outlet covers in a pediatrician's office - especially on outlets hidden by chairs high enough for a little dude to crawl under?)

She's also started throwing temper tantrums (bucking and arching her back, shaking her fists, etc.) when we try to put her in her car seat.

Anyway, anyone have any good recommendations for, for lack of a better term, AP/ "gentle discipline" / preventing tantrums type books?
#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 11:17 AM

I found a really good book called "Raising a happy unspoiled child" Unlike most books that are mostly for older children, this one has a month-by-month guide for ages 0-3 years. I just ignored the advice about sleeping in the crib. We've always co-slept. Other than that it's a great book.
#3 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 02:16 PM

This might not be the most popular reply, but I have 2 toddlers right now and I find that child proofing and supervision are just about all the "discipline" you can do. You can often try many ways, gentle and not gentle of trying to get toddlers not to touch or get into things, but I find that generally they don't help. Basically, time helps. When kids get older you can talk to them about what to touch and what not to touch.

I find also that if you're really interested in teaching your child how not to explore the things that you don't want him/her to explore then you'll be far more stressed because the toddlers will inevitably find a way to get into even dangerous things.

My advice is to take a deep breath, realize this will be a phase and child proof and supervise and distract as much as possible and just enjoy the toddlerness. When they're developmentally ready (3ish) it's pretty easy to teach them what to touch and not to touch because their understanding level is very different.

Good luck from a mom who's enjoying her toddlers in spite of the house continually looking like a hurricane has just run through it...
#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 05:02 PM

Discipline works w/my 2 y.o. but just now. My 9 mos. old would be clueless if I tried to reason with, or scold, him.

We just totally babyproofed the house. And, yes, my older son did fall out of a window after my dh refused to believe it was poss. So, now we have our windows tethered; ie. bolted to the frame and the jamb so he can't open them far enough.

And, some things they'll figure out themselves; ie. ds2 is learning how to crawl outside onto the deck by falling out of the house. (few inches) But, each day he gets more agile at it. Today, he did it easily.
#5 of 5 Old 08-06-2003, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Just remembered there was a Gentle Discipline Board. Dum!

Anyway, thanks for your responses. My DH and I are not really looking for a strict "method" and generally agree that life is all about baby proofing right now (it's amazing what she finds to get into any given day!). But I have always worried about raising a spoiled child, etc. It's good to know it's something I can worry about when she's a little older. And I will look for a copy of "Raising a happy unspoiled child" in the meantime. Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page