introducing bottle and leaving babe - do at the same time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds, 6mo, has never been away from me long enough that he'd need to eat, and has never had a bottle. I'm going to have to be away from him for a couple of hours (maybe more) in a few weeks. He'll be with my mom, who I trust completely. So my question is, should I introduce him to a bottle of ebm before that, or leave mom with the bottle and let her wing it for the first time? Does it make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2003, 02:38 PM

I would suggest that the first bottle be offered from someone other than yourself. It may confuse and frustrate the babe if he smells you and your milk, but does not get to nurse. Maybe you mom could offer the bottle for the first time while you are home and in another room, that way he gets some practice and you can see how it will go, and he will be used to taking it from her. Also, if he won't take it from one type of bottle, you may try another with a different type of nipple. One may feel more like you to him, and make the transition easier.

God Luck!

Sarah
Old 08-05-2003, 05:42 PM

I tried to give my baby a bottle, but she just wouldn't take it. I tried a few different nipples, and she seemed to like the Avent ones best. I had my MIL try one day w/ the avent, and DD took to it perfectly. When I tried to feed her she would just play w/ it, then fuss when she got hungry. Now she will pretty much take the avent one from anyone. I don't use it much, just when we go somewhere. I ended up just getting some of the avent sippy cups and adding the 3 month nipple. This way I figure I will get more use out of the cup/bottle combo

User Tag List