slings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2003, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a good sling? Here's a little more info. DD is 7 months old and 21.5 pounds....not very long...so fairly chunky!! We've tried the sling NoJO (I think) that has Dr. Sears on it....but I have troubl manuevering her into it and DH has to help me..... her fat fanny doesn't seem to really set in it very well. Also I'm in Florida and the thing is REALLY HOT!! We've taken to just putting her in the stroller because I just can't stand that sling. Can anyone recommend a better one that's cooler and fairly easy to use? There aren't a whole lot of people I see around my area using slings.....are there people out there that still "sling it" at DD's age (7months)
Thanks!!

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2003, 03:38 PM

I still constantly sling my 6-month, 19 lb. DS. I've heard terrible things about the Nojo, however. If you like the idea of rings, try a maya wrap, or maybe a solarveil sling (acts to keep the sun off). If you have trouble maneuvering the rings (I do), maybe try a pouch.

www.kangarookorner.com

has the solarveil and nice cotton pouches.
#3 of 6 Old 08-05-2003, 05:12 PM

It's definitely possible to sling for a long time. I did it until ds was about 18 mos. He was just too heavy for me at that point, but he still liked it. I would recommend not getting a padded sling. They're a bit bulky and definitey hotter. My cousin had a Maya wrap, and she made me one very similar. I packed away my OTSBH and started using the one she made me. It was cooler and more comfortable with a bigger baby.

One sling a recommend against is the Native Baby Carrier (I think that's what it's called). It can't be adjusted (except permanantly with a sewing machine). A friend lent me one when ds was born, and it was uncomfortable, too loose, and hung down too low. It just didn't feel very secure, and ds didn't like it either. As soon as I switched to the OTSBH he was much more content in the sling. I like the ones with rings because you can have them a bit loose for putting baby in, and then tighten them up to make everyone comfortable and safe.

My ds's favorite position at your baby's age was the "kangaroo" position, where he faced forward with his legs criss-crossed and folded againsted his belly inside the sling. I know it sounds uncomfortable, but they're really flexible at that age. It's very easy to get him into the sling in that position, too. You just fold up his legs, drop him into the sling, and tighten it up. He loved being tight against me but being able to see everything. I really liked the postition, too. He felt very secure against me, and he wasn't constantly trying to turn to see something. People around here don't use slings, either, and some made some funny comments (especially with that position -- "where are his legs?" or "does he have any legs?!?"), but so what, we were happy.

I looked at the link in kofduke's post, and it looks really good! They have so much info! I wish I'd had it when I was looking for slings.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#4 of 6 Old 08-06-2003, 02:31 AM

Moving this to Life with a Babe...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-06-2003, 03:14 AM

Maybe try a rebozo or an adjustable cotton pouch from kangaroo korner. Taylor Made Treasures also has an organic cotton ring sling that is very lightweight.
#6 of 6 Old 08-06-2003, 05:46 PM

I've used a Parenting Concepts sling with 4 children. Just bought my 2nd one - it's 100% cotton.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page