Newborn sneezing a lot - allergies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS, not quite two days old, sneezes a lot. 5 or 6 x in a row, sometimes two or three x an hour. This seems like a lot to me & I'm wondering if he might be allergic to our cats. Any experience with sneezy babies?
#2 of 5 Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 AM

My lo was like that and i did some research and it turned out that that is just the way that they rid themselves of any amniotic fluid or birth gunk that they may still have present in there body, poor thing used to spend his whold day sneezing it disapeared in like a wk or 2 HTH
#3 of 5 Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEN,BRIAN&JOSH MOM View Post
My lo was like that and i did some research and it turned out that that is just the way that they rid themselves of any amniotic fluid or birth gunk that they may still have present in there body, poor thing used to spend his whold day sneezing it disapeared in like a wk or 2 HTH
That's exactly it. Both my girls sneezed ALOT as newborns. They are just clearing the rest of the amniotic fluid from their systems.

senior majikfaerie cult member
#4 of 5 Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 AM

totally normal! all of mine sneezed a lot as newborns, we always say they are getting the cobwebs out

and i believe that its to early for them to show an allergy at 2 days old i think it has to build up in their system i could be wrong but i thought that it takes a month or more to show that kind of allergy

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#5 of 5 Old 11-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Newborns usually sneeze quite a bit. This is because they only breathe through their noses. So they've got to keep those passages clear! Nothing to worry about.

Kids who have pets in the home from birth are generally much less likely to develop allergies to the type of animal they have.

Environmental allergies in general don't usually show up until a child is at least 3. It takes many seasons of exposure for the allergy to present itself.

HTH!

Congratulations!

Lex

ETA: I highly recommend you get a copy of Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book." I found it very reassuring in the first couple of weeks when I'd be wondering about things like the frequent sneezing, umbilical cord ooziness, baby acne, etc.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page