Camping with babe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2003, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there's been a few threads about camping with babies, and I've enjoyed all the great advice, and am really looking forward to our camping trip next week.

What I'm worried about is napping. Almost 14 mo dd usually naps about 2.5-3 hours in the afternoon. If we're at home, she usually goes down around 1:00. If we're out though at a friends, playground, museum, doing errands, etc.,she'll stay up until we get in the car to come home (even if it's 4:00 ).

Anybody have any good camping stories? When did your baby sleep? Where? For how long? Did you and baby miss out on any of the family activities because you were back at the campsite napping? Dd won't nap even if I nurse her on a friend's bed after lunch. She'll be cranky, yawning, rubbing her eyes, nurse herself almost to sleep - then she's done, and bounces up again bright eyed and bushy tailed until we head home. I'm afraid we'll have 5 days of one or two 15-20 minute car naps each day, and I'll have a bear of a baby for a week after we return (if not toward the end of the trip as well....).
#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2003, 04:30 PM

Sylviamama-

Although most of our naps (2hrs, more or less) were in the tent, she also napped in the backpack, while we hiked. Then, when we were finished, we could put the pack down and let her finish her nap. Would she stand for that? It's a bit like a carseat. What about a jogger, or are you backpacking in?

Good luck with you trip, we have had a wonderful time camping so far!
#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2003, 06:22 PM

My guys are always too exhausted to argue. We bought a humongous : tent w/an air mattress.: At naptime, we just put them to sleep in the tent. My 9 mos. old will fall asleep while we're out doing stuff, but I prefer to have a regular naptime for them. ANd, on the first/last day, we usually cheat and schedule driving time for naptime.
#4 of 4 Old 08-07-2003, 06:28 PM

we have a Rockwood pop-up camper, and we love it! Although, the first time we went, Macie was up very 30 mintues,.... all night long. ughhhhhhh.

but, now they are both used to it, and it is great "family" time! I highly recommend it! and, we keep the same nap schedule when we are out camping.

good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page