I dropped my baby - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=katheek77;9680007My best friend's husband fell asleep while holding her son (about 6 weeks old) on a rocking chair, and the babe rolled off onto the floor.
[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing. My DD was about 6 weeks old and the only way either of us could get any sleep at all was if I nursed her to sleep in our rocker/recliner and then laid her on my chest tummy-to-tummy when she was sound asleep.

I still don't know how it happened, because I am normally very aware of her every movement when I am sleeping with her, but I woke up to her rolling over my arm and onto the floor. I felt so awful! It was on carpet and less than a 2 foot drop, but still....the thought that I could let my tiny helpless baby fall like that broke my heart.

But I was much more freaked out that she was and she was just fine.

Momma - you will get over feeling so guilty and someday it will be something you may even be able to chuckle about.
#62 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:13 AM

We ec'd my son from one month old. He was so little that I was trying to get him in the positiion over the potty and dropped his little head right in the little plastic potty. :

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#63 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 02:51 AM

SierraJ, I'm glad you posted this because I have felt terrible guilt about letting my ds2 fall out of the bed three nights in a row when he was about four months old. Apparently good mamas do that too!

Mommy to kids

#64 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
It's been therapeutic reading through all of these posts! And SierraJ, at least you can write yours off as an accident! Not all of us are so lucky.

My bad-day-at-doc thread already details my own parenting snafu. No need to repeat my own confession of DD rolling off the exam table right in front of the nurse!! (I'd love to see what they put in the chart....)

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#65 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 PM

I was thinking about this the other day while walking down the stairs with DD in the sling. If I were to trip and fall, would I prefer her in-arms or in-sling?

I think in-sling is the no-brainer. Yes, I might land on her (as some of your have experienced) but, my hands will be free to at least possibly break my fall, and there's a good chance she will only be bumped, not crushed.

In-arms, I will have a battle of instincts, self-preservation (throw out arms to catch myself) vs mama-bear (hold baby at all costs). If I hold onto her, the possibility of being 'crushed' is the same as if she were slung, and there's a greater chance of seriously hurting myself as well.

And of course, if the throw-out-arms instinct prevails, she will just topple to the ground.

So, I sling her everywhere.

That being said, I still bash her head into doorways occasionally, and *nearly* do more often than I'd care to admit.

And one time in a public bathroom, I had her standing on the counter to pull her trainers back up and I pulled too hard and she lost her balance and fell straight forward and hit her head on the tap...

And a few days ago she fell down a couple stairs... she crawled out of the room and I thought to myself "oh, she's crawling out of the room... hmm... she might be heading for the stairs... it's amazing how good she's getting at going downstairs all by herself... but I should probably hurry up and get out there, she shouldn't do it alone..." and as I'm standing up I hear THUMP AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

And is this where I can finally confess the incident with the iron on the floor (just have a portable ironing board), which was turned off but had been on just a few minutes before, and DD crawling nearby and me thinking "good thing that iron is off, she could knock it over... wait, it's probably still fairly hot, I should pick it AHHH!!" as it fell...

That was my worst "I'm a horrible mommy" day since it was just MINUTES after the stair incident!!!

When DH found the little mark on her leg (fortunately it was very minor) he asked me to have a look at it... I said oh that... it's a friction burn from my bad-mommy day...

I had told him about the stairs and that there had been several bad-mommy incidents that day, he's totally understanding and I have NEVER hidden ANYTHING from him, but I just couldn't bring myself to confess the iron incident...

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#66 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Everyone has accidents. I've had my fair share, maybe more.
#67 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi View Post
On September 10,2001 I tripped and fell with my ds. He was 4 wks old: I rushed him to the ER, his femur was broken. My weight was just too much for his little body. We were investigated for child abuse. I wasn't allowed to be alone with him for 4 days. Though I was able to still be his primary I just always had to be with someone else. We stayed at my parents house until I was cleared. That was absolute hell. The case workers were all very nice to me though. The reporting doctor called me at home and apologized for calling DHS. It's law in Iowa when an infant has a broken bone that there be an investigation.

My ds is now 6 and hasn't had any long term affects.
What a nightmare! I'm glad everything turned out all right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page