I dropped my baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to put this out into the world so that I can start to get past it. I'm having a hard time letting go of the memory of what happened last night.

Last night, my husband received an honor for community work. It was a lovely evening, very special for us as a family. The event was held in an Inn with hard wood floors. At the end of the evening, as we were leaving, I slipped on a wet spot on the floor and fell to my knees. My 6 month old was sound asleep in my arms. As I slipped, she catapulted forward and I lost grasp of her. She fell to the floor in front of me. Thank goodness, she seems fine - she tumbled and rolled out of my arms, rather than falling straight to the ground. She cried for a minute, then was her regular smiley, happy self. No bumps or bruises even.

I keep beating myself up about having actually DROPPED MY BABY. I had no idea that I could ever, ever actually drop my baby. I dreamed about it last night and can't seem to let the horrible memory of my little girl toppling out of my arms go.

I'm reminded that in an instant everything can change. Our lives can take a turn down roads that we can't even imagine -- what if she had been hurt? On one hand I feel blessed, thankful, incredibly grateful that angels must be watching over us. On the other, I feel horribly guilty I let something like this happen.

Thought maybe writing it down would help me move past it this day -- also could use some hugs.
#2 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Oh, honey.

Sounds like you're more traumatized than your little one.

Try not to be hard on yourself. Accidents happen, and it wasn't as if you were being careless. And she is ok...and that's what matters.
#3 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM

she is ok and it was an accident.

when my dd was few months old i tripped over a laundry basket, we fell and her head hit the wall in front of us. I thought i had killed her and screamed and cried and rushed her to the hospital.

Anyways it was a horrible feeling, i know how you feel.
#4 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 AM

((hugs)) I honestly believe that most parents drop their child or accidently go thru a doorway or soemthing and little child gets whacked a bit on the head. Not intentionally, gosh no, but it happens.

our worst story of our children falling is one time we were at applebees and were waiting in the foyer area - where there are benches and then hard large tile. . .well, i took my son's jacket off he was not quite 7 months old and he was sitting beside me (i moved him off my lap and had him right next to me with one arm holding him while I leaned forward and put the jacket in the bag on the floor. yup. he leaned forward and their heads are so big he just catapaulted onto the floor. he had imprints of the tile on his head he fell so hard. he was fine (I was a complete nervous wreck, though).

I really think most moms have some kind of story to share about one or more of their children. ((hugs))

I have this silly theory that all children are born absolute genius's and then every time they fall or get hurt on the head, they lose a couple brain cells, which is why most people are average/slightly above average and not many are genius's at adulthood. . ..

Don't beat yourself up too hard over this. It happens!!

((hugs))

BettyAnn
#5 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your hugs! It's nice to be a part of a caring communtiy.
#6 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 AM

A couple of months ago (so, she was 14 mos or so), I had my DD in a forward facing carry when I tripped and fell HARD on concrete. I tried to "roll" on the way down, but she had a knot the size of an egg on her forehead.

Otherwise, she was fine. The doc just said to watch her for a few hours for concussion and whatnot.

And, yep, at three months, DH held her up to check if her diaper was dirty while walking, and smacked her forehead into a doorway.

My best friend's husband fell asleep while holding her son (about 6 weeks old) on a rocking chair, and the babe rolled off onto the floor.

I bet every parent has one of these dirty little secrets...
#7 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

I've wacked mine's head on doorways more than once... usually in a carrier either on the back or in the front.

It sounds like your instincts kicked in and allowed her to roll rather than flat out drop... I've fallen with mine before and been amazed at how it's reflexive for me to do something to protect her on the way down
#8 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

I dropped my daughter when she was 4 months old. We were packing to move and on the way to bed I tripped over a box in the hallway and dropped her. She landed on her head and neck, then rolled.

We frantically rushed to the ER, where the nice doctors and nurses checked her over, patted us on the shoulders, and were kind enough to laugh quietly in the hallway instead of in our faces at how much we were overreacting. Every single one of them had a story about dropping one (or more) of their babies.

I felt so guilty, no matter what they said. I always thought my instinct would be to hold her close, that I would never, ever drop her. Then one doctor pointed out that if I hadn't dropped her, she really would have needed a trip to the ER, because the full weight of my body would have landed on her. He said my instinct was to drop her for her own protection, and that it was a good one. Getting dropped certainly isn't desirable, but of the two scenarios, it's got the best outcome for the baby.
#9 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I slipped on a wet spot on the floor and fell to my knees
That Inn is responsible for this accident NOT you. They are responsible for safety of the patrons that are there. This is NOT your fault at all.

I suggest talking to management about seeing if they can re-evaluate their safety protocols for the Inn so this doesn't happen to anyone else with babe or not.

(((hugs))) mama, I hope both of you are ok and heal quickly.
#10 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM

My son rolled right off of the bed with me sitting right there with him. He was only a couple of months old. Thankfully, I had a pile of laundry right next to the bed.

Please stop beating yourself up. Accidents happen. It is not your fault.
#11 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#12 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM

DH put e's head in the ceiling fan on high when he was 8 monthes old ( I TOLD him not to put him on his shoulders in the house but what do I know!) Scared me to death. The first hit was mm from his temple. There is not a child out there that has not gone through at least one thing like this and there parents are lying if they say otherwise.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#13 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Oh I'm so sorry that happened but it was not your fault, just an accident. I'm glad your little one is alright.

I can relate though... Just yesterday my 12 month old was on our bed with me (he sleeps with us, he can get off the bed feet first, so I've become a bit lax lately with him up there.) Anyway, he reached toward the dresser for something he wanted, and lost his balance and toppled right off, head first. With me sitting right next to him! Thankfully he was ok, but I felt like the worst mother ever

It's a good thing they are so durable!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#14 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

When he was 7 months old, DS's stroller rolled down the front step - with him in it - and flipped over on the sidewalk. A car driving by stopped to see if he was ok, it looked so bad!!

Of course, he was totally fine. We would've gone to the ER but we had moved 3 days prior and didn't even know where it was!! Man, we felt like the worst parents ever.

Also, I too would *at least* complain to the manager of the Inn and try to get an apology and maybe some gift certificates.
#15 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 PM

It happens to just about everyone, although not everyone will admitt it. My dd fell out of her bucket at 6 weeks old, right on her face. It was about a 12 inch drop onto my hardwood floor. She was fine. She also fell out of the family bed more times than I can count. : Don't be so hard on yourself. Babies aren't as breakable as they look. Like I said, it happens to most of us at one time or another.
#16 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM

*hugs to you mama*

About a month ago, I tripped while carrying way too much laundry to my car while holding DS. We both went down, and DS landed on his head on pavement. I rushed him to the ER and he was fine, but I felt terrible.

I also whacked his head into a door knob while he was in the sling when he was only a few weeks old too. He was sound asleep in there, and WHACK... I was sure I had killed him. He was fine though.

They are so amazingly resilient, and we are all human. Just the fact that you feel bad about it shows how much you care and what a great mama you reaqlly are.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#17 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post

DH put e's head in the ceiling fan on high when he was 8 monthes old ( I TOLD him not to put him on his shoulders in the house but what do I know!) Scared me to death. The first hit was mm from his temple. There is not a child out there that has not gone through at least one thing like this and there parents are lying if they say otherwise.

ohhh...I almost did this YESTERDAY! I was playing around with Aislinn and went to put her on my shoulder...and realized I was about 6 inches to the side of the ceiling fan! I berated myself good for that one.

When she was about 6 weeks old, we went to a friends house for a birthday party. She was still sleeping when we got there, so I just left her in the bucket and brought her in. Well, there was a dog running around, so I was flustered and set her on a bar stool. I must have brushed it when I turned around....bam. upside down on the ground. picked her up, she's just like, hey, what happened? no harm, no foul. good to know those straps work...

#18 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Hugs to you mama! I know how it feels when something like that happens to your innocent little babe. When DS#2 was 6 wks old he got gonked on the head with a baseball (hard)! I was horrified and couldn't let go of that for a while. I so wished it had just happened to me instead. But he was fine and I slowly forgot how horrific it was at the time. I'm sure with time you'll heal. Don't beat yourself up about it. Accidents happen.
#19 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 PM

When my 2nd was teeny tiny she was on the Boppy. My older daughter climbed up on the desk, and I tried to help her down. She overbalanced and almost fell. I had to grab her to keep her from falling and the baby rolled off the boppy (I was sitting) onto the floor. I cried for about an hour and I still feel guilty and terrible when I think about it and she's 14 months old now!

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#20 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM

When my first was just shy of a month old I layed her on the sofa RIGHT NEXT TO ME and turned my head (thought i had my hand on her belly) to ans the phone ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY HIP and she fell to the floor off the sofa onto the carpet.....

My mom was on the other line and I had just pushed the talk button when she heard me scream and say "oh no oh no oh no oh no"....I composed myself and picked up the phone and she wasn't there....She was knocking on my door....did 80 the whole way to my house (a few miles away).....

DD was fine. The fall didn't even wake her up....I did when I picked her up cooing to her.....I called our ped and they told me to keep an eye on her but falls like that hurt us more than them....

Since then, she has bonked her head on everything...hard things....Our ped laughs and says that he had a kiddo like that...just makes em smarter....but we swear that her head is full of scrambled eggs....

to you mama....i remember how scary it was when it happened with my LO.
#21 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM

OMG if I had to confess every time one of my kids bonked their heads or rolled out of the family bed or off the couch...I'd be here all day. Just the other day I was sitting at the computer and DD was crawling on the floor near the desk. She sat back on her knees and I looked down at her and thought "I'd better move her cuz if she falls forward her head is going to hit the corner of the desk" and then suddenly she did exactly that and I felt so horrible and she ended up with a line of a bruise right down the middle of her forehead. I picked her up and cried more than she did.

I totally know that feeling "OMG I am such an awful mom, if only I'd done x, y, z that wouldn't have happened" but really unless you wrap them in bubble wrap you can't protect them from an accident all the time.

Babies will forgive us. I think they know we don't mean for them to get bumps and bonks. It's just a part of childhood.
#22 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Be gentle with yourself.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#23 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM

#24 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM

the floor should not have been wet. it wasn't your fault, at all.

if you can bear another story, DH slammed DD's head into an overhead moulding in my grandfather's house when she was 9 months old, and then I recently kicked her in the face so hard that she fell to the ground with a bloody nose. Both of us wanted to kill ourselves both times. I understand the feeling of replaying the incident over and over again in your mind, crying about it and thinking about all the terrible things that could've happened. Who knows, maybe these things happen to make us more cautious to prevent something worse in the future. I know that after the last accident, I bought a playpen (horror!) for occasional use in the kitchen to prevent the type of accident that happened last time. And DH doesn't carry DD on his shoulders anymore after she hit her head. Accidents will always still happen. I hope you feel better about it tomorrow. Don't be too hard on yourself.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#25 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Your stories have me laughing out loud and crying at the same time. Thanks for the boost everyone!
#26 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM

When my dd was little, although a bit older than yours, I was carrying her and walking down a marble staircase in stiff patent shoes with no tread. Yeah, recipe for disaster.

I slipped on the 2nd stair from the bottom, completely lost my footing, like a character in a cartoon, and from my perspective dd *flew* out of my arms. I screamed. She actually sort of tumbled out like you describe, I think, b/c although she landed on the ground sort of on her side and - slid - she was totally OK, just crying because she was startled.

I felt the same way you do - how could I let go of my child?? The sense of powerlessness, the "what ifs", haunted me for days. It was very scary.

I just wanted to share that with you because I know how you feel.
#27 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM

I really think this is exactly why babies are born with softer, more pliable bones than adults have. They are incredibly durable and bounce pretty well.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#28 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#29 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

OMG it almost happened again! This is weird ... I just got back from the grocery store. As I was walking along pushing my cart in the bakery section, I stepped on a piece of paper (the thin kind you use to get a cookie or muffin out of the case), my foot slipped out from under me and I almost FELL AGAIN! I screamed out -- OMG -- GIVE ME A BREAK! What is wrong with me?????

The babe was in her car seat, safe down inside the cart, thank goodness.

I think I need to just go to bed -- unfortunately, I need to get my house ready to have 15 people over for dinner tonight
#30 of 67 Old 11-09-2007, 02:12 PM

My DS managed to flip himself backwards off of the changing table when he was only six weeks old!! I was standing right there, but had reached down to get a diaper. I would never have guessed he had the ability to be so mobile at that age . . . Poor thing landed in the most horrible position, wedged between the changing table and the bathtub, on ceramic tiles! (I still cringe when I think about it . . . (shudder)) I freaked out, of course, and took him to the ER, but after a few minutes of crying, he acted like it had never happened . . . No bruises, nothing. I think small babies are fairly resilient (not that I would ever try to test this theory again!!)

It happens . . . fagettaboudit.

(hug)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page