How often to feed. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2003, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 5 month old that is exclusively breastfed. How long should she go in between feedings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 01:31 AM

:LOL CK'sMama, but that's exactly right. Don't worry about not going long enough -- if your baby isn't hungry she will refuse. The breastfeeding forum will give you lots of info.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by heytootsy
I have a 5 month old that is exclusively breastfed. How long should she go in between feedings?
Exactly as long as she wants. Seriously, don't even bother concerning yourself with that. Nurse her when she wants to nurse and you needn't worry!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 08-07-2003, 10:45 AM

My 6 month old still nurses as frequently as she did when she was 3 months old. She eats little but often. I'm a grazer too so I can't blame her. Even her night feeds haven't changed - a feed about 10.30pm, 3am, 6am. After reading the books, I expected her to space her feedings out more but she hasn't. She's always been a little eater. So the books and other people's experience isn't always helpful when you wanna know the answer to these questions. Does she give you clear signals when she's hungry? That's another issue we had, my dd is so laidback, she doesn't signal very strongly when she's hungry.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:34 PM

If you are concearned that she doesn't eat as reguarly as she use to this is probably because her stomach is bigger and she can eat more in a sitting and eat less often.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:57 PM

The only person who knows if a baby is hungry is the baby. Just as you are the only person who knows if you are hungry. Don't forget that she might be thirsty too. Sometimes she will want to nurse because she's thirsty.

Pay attention to her cues, and if you're unsure if she's hungry but think maybe she should be, offer. If she is, she'll nurse. If not, she won't.

It's really that simple. I have no idea why people try to make a 'science' of it.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:54 AM

So glad to read the above replies - all about feeding when babe is hungry. I worried so much when ds was a few months old and went 3-4 hours with out eating - and sometimes when he ate it did not seem long enough. I would sit and watch clock to make sure he was eating for at leat 10 minutes - as this is what breatfeeding "expert" wrote in book. When I realized my babe knew exactly what he was/is doing I got rid of the book.
Let your babe lead the way!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life

User Tag List