Wraparound sling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a new sling for my 3 week old. I noticed a lot of wraparound slings at various websites. When I sling-wore my 2 year old, I had a custom made one with rings, so I am not familiar with the wraparound style. For those of you who have used them, how do you like them? Are they easy to use with an infant? Any reccommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 08:51 PM

I am not quite sure what you mean by wraparound sling... I can tell you that my favorite sling (and I have a few) is a polar fleece "pouch" that I bought from KangarooKorner.com. I have two: one for the car and one for the house. My ds practically lived in it for the first 3 months of his life. It is a little too hot for summer... so I got the new cotton pouch (a new design at the same web site) which I like as well... but not as much as the fleece one. What I love about it is how comfortable it is on my shoulder and how it snuggles the baby to you. I can't wait for it to get colder again so we can go back to it.
Hope this helps. Kangaroo Korner has many types of slings... not just the pouch... it's a well designed site and a great resource for researching what kind of sling you want.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I love wrap around slings! I used the Didymos with my DS from when he was a newborn until now at 3 1/2! They are extremely versatile, and great for newborns, but they aren't the easiest to nurse in, but it is doable. They also have a longer learning curve that other slings, but are so worth it IMO because they are more comfortable and way more versatile.

Deborah

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 08-07-2003, 01:18 AM

I have an Ultimate Baby Wrap that worked well especially in the newborn period. It's made of a stretchy t-shirt fabric, and I liked that it could be adjusted to support the baby's head. We did nurse in it sometimes, but a regular sling is easier for that. The major benefit is that it distributes weight more evenly than a shoulder sling, so you can wear it for longer periods without as much strain. When ds was around 6 lbs, I couldn't sling him for more than an hour without backpain, so that's why I looked into the wrap. The best thing about the UBW is that you can use one configuration for several carrying positions.

The major drawback is that it takes a couple minutes to put on and adjust. So it's more for longer stretches of babywearing. I'd put it on when I knew I'd be wearing the baby around the house all afternoon...

But I've found that your back really does get stronger, so now we pretty much sling exclusively.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:10 PM

i LOVE using a wraparound sling/carrier. i actually made my own, following instructions that i found on the web. google the word didymos. you need about five yards of fabric. there are wearing instructions on peppermint.com that i use. making my own, while not as beautiful, or perhaps the exact same kind of fabric as one can buy, saved a heap of money, so i was able to buy some new fabric and have alternative patterns! wearing ds in the fabric also feels so homemade, natural, and easy. he loves being close...haven't tried the back carry yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

this carrier has definitely alleviated back pain, which was quite immediate and intense for me with the one-shoulder sling.

good luck!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!

User Tag List