I want to get a tattoo of my dd's name...am I crazy for wanting this?? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always sort of poked fun at people who tattooed their kids names on their bodies..."What, are they afraid they're going to forget it or something?"

Yes, I know, snarky.

BUT--I think it is a great idea to get a tattoo of something representative of your child(ren) instead of their names...sort of goes along more with my personal desire to have a story to tell with each of my tatts.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what is best to represent my 14 yr old son so that I can put together a drawing that would reflect him and his two sisters. But I'm having a hard time with him...The girls are easy--the baby's name is Willow, and my 10 yo has a number of things that could be representative of her and still beautiful as a tattoo...but Jake, well, I'm just not sure I'm willing to get an Xbox 360 tattooed on my arm, ya know?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 AM

I was contemplating the idea myself...Since I had a dream of DD when I was pregnant with her- she told me in this dream, "It comes from the moon, not the sun." And she was born on the full-harvest moon...I think I'll be getting a tattoo of the moon and perhaps her name too. Lovely idea, Mama! I agree with cjanelles- get something that reminds you of/represents your child.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 AM

I honestly believe that your ds's are the ONLY names yous hould have tattooed on your body. My sister has her two girls and it looks good. If oyu are planning on having my dc's though, make sure you have a plan for how to include them, or they will feel left out later.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 AM

I agree that your children's names are the only ones you should have tattooed on your body.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 AM

:

I have 3 butterflies on my chest and need to get one more that represent my DCs. Thier names are the ONLY names that I would ever consider getting tattooed onto my body.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 AM

I had been thinking about doing something to represent my husband, my son and me. Something with three things intertwined. I'm nursing so I thought I should wait. Now I'm pregnant again! So I have time now to think about the 4 things tattoo! Friends of ours have 4 fish, just the outlines meeting at the heads and intertwined. it's very cool and simple.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM

No, I don't think you're crazy.

DH & I already have matching tatoos which represent the two of us. Maybe we could work something into the middle of those...

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLyon View Post
I want to get a tattoo of my dd's name...am I crazy for wanting this?? :
Crazy for wanting a tattoo, yes.
Crazy for wanting it to be of your kids names, no.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM

DH has our dd's name (Olivia) tattooed sideways down his entire rib cage in bold script. It's about 2 feet long. LOL

OP, if you're nursing, it's best to wait until you've finished to get tattooed. LLL says it's safe, but the wife of a tattooist that I know posted some pretty comprehensive info about the heavy metals and other nasty things in tattoo ink that can certainly cross into breastmilk. A very small tattoo wouldn't be a big deal, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

As soon as dd is done nursing (so probably about 2+ more years, haha) I'm getting MY Olivia tattoo.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

I think its a great idea! I'm just waiting to figure out a good tattoo I can add to, because I want more children. I also have my husbands name tattooed on my leg, I dont think its silly. I think its silly to make a promise (for us) in front of God and our family and to ourselves, but then say we're not serious enough about it to ink it on ourselves. That is silly. But I also have 11 tattoos and DH has 14 so....
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM

I once saw a guy with a HUGE tattoo of what looked like his infant kid on his bicep (with name). It was gigantic. Kind of sweet, but together with the naked chick on his forearm and the flaming skull on his neck, it kinda detracted from the effect.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM

*ouch* to some comments

I have my ds name on the inside of my wrist with the time and date he was born going around the rest of my wrist. Its beautiful so of course personally I would say go for it! Dp has the same thing on his wrist too. When hes older im going to let him draw something and then get it tattooed on me. I saw a women who had a tattoo from each one of her kids that they had drawn and it was such a touching piece. Me and dp both have more then a couple tattoos and plan to have many more.

A blurry camera phone pic of it
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...r/rileytat.jpg

24 tattooed SAHM to a silly boy born at home in the tub 1/31/07
Old 11-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysmamaNM View Post
*ouch* to some comments

I have my ds name on the inside of my wrist with the time and date he was born going around the rest of my wrist. Its beautiful so of course personally I would say go for it! Dp has the same thing on his wrist too. When hes older im going to let him draw something and then get it tattooed on me. I saw a women who had a tattoo from each one of her kids that they had drawn and it was such a touching piece. Me and dp both have more then a couple tattoos and plan to have many more.

your tattoo is beautiful!

See, my DH has a half sleeve (not done yet) of angels killing each other in black and white on his arm, we're christian and its biblical. Anyway, I think it'd be adorable matched with a tattoo for DS because it just goes to show you even the biggest "scariest" men melt for their own babies, whats sweeter than that?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM

It would depend on what you wanted the tattoo to look like, but in general, I'd say you're NOT crazy.

I've wanted a rosary around my ankle for several years now. My grandma recently died, so I was thinking of having her initials put in the center medallion (is it bad I have no idea what the proper name for that is? I swear I'm a good Catholic!). I'm now thinking that I'd like my children's first initial each in a bead. (Hope that makes sense as I typed it!)
Old 11-13-2007, 06:23 PM

i have dd's name tattooed on my wrists, and i will with the new one too.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM

My DSD's mom tattooed some artwork done by one of her daughters on her ankle. I thought that was really special (and I am so not a tattoo person).

love.gif

Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysmamaNM View Post
*ouch* to some comments

That's so pretty- I've wanted a tattoo of my DD's name just like that- I hadn't thought of adding the time and date of her birth, but that's a lovely thought too!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 AM

I want to get a tatoo of the impression that my dd's ear leaves on my forearm after a long, sleepy nursing session. But I'm a big wimp about needles .
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 AM

I don't think you're crazy. I'm trying to figure out something to represent my kids too. I just haven't found the right idea yet.

A friend of mine has a boquet on her back, it's the birth month flowers for her, dh, and 2 dds. It's pretty neat.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:04 AM

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 11-14-2007, 06:43 AM

It's definitely not crazy. I'm going to get my daughter's astrological symbol tattooed on my spine below my astrological symbol. I just have to figure out whether I'm going to with simple or elaborate. And I figure I can add to it fairly easily with subsequent children.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 AM

nope, im going to get ds's done in egyptian heiroglyphs
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM

I want a tattoo too - but the only one I can think of that I want is a little hand print on my boob. DH says he would rather I didn't... so I haven't yet.

I love the idea of the earprint on your arm - true to life and a nice memory one day.

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

Old 11-16-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadhagh View Post
I want to get a tatoo of the impression that my dd's ear leaves on my forearm after a long, sleepy nursing session. But I'm a big wimp about needles .

awwww that is the sweetest idea, I love it.

24 tattooed SAHM to a silly boy born at home in the tub 1/31/07
Old 11-16-2007, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
nope, im going to get ds's done in egyptian heiroglyphs

This would work for me because I have an egyptian symbol on my lower back and a lotus flower on my neck. Good idea!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM

not crazy at all!

DH and I have a matching elaborate piece on our lower backs of two hummingbirds and some flowers. It covers the entire lower half of my back. We want to each get tattoos to represent DS, but I'm not sure I want matching tats for this- we have two very different relationships with him, KWIM?

One thing I know I want to incorporate are the numbers 5 and 7. He was born at 5:55 on 7/7/7, he weighed 5 lbs even and was 7 weeks early. Other than that, I don't know- definitely animals and/or plants.

User Tag List