Anybody else bring their baby to work? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-07-2003, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't even know if there's an acronym for it...I feel like I have a lot in common with WAHMs, but not everything. I'm just really frustrated today. I've been bringing dd to work for five months (she is 7 mo) and I work around 15 hours a week. Lately I can barely get anything done...I used to be able to just nurse her or have her sleep in the sling but she wants to play or fuss or be on my lap playing with the phone the whole time.

I just got an Ergo and it's working pretty well, but I work at a computer most of the day and she gets bored on my back. DH can watch her sometimes for night meetings, but he works FT.

Any suggestions? I'm planning on getting a college girl to watch her at my work this fall so I can still nurse her when she needs it, for maybe 6 hours a week or so. But I still will have her with me most of the time.

TIA!
Peace,
Beth
ps right now she is on the floor (for the moment) trying to use the computer as her busy box...argh!
#2 of 4 Old 08-07-2003, 02:39 PM

OMG, do I hear you!!! I have been working 10-20 hrs/wk since ds was 3 mos old. At first, my dh had one day a week off from work to watch him, but we canceled that b/c most of the time none of my clients (I do post-adoption home-visiting) could meet with me that day anyway. Well, he is now almost 1, and I have been pulling my hair out for the last few months. I do a lot of work from home, and can do it during naps or when dh is home, but as far as actually meeting w/ my clients during the day, going to team meetings or staff meetings...urgh.

Can I rant, for just a minute? One of my clients has a kid who is currently back in state custody. There was a court hearing this AM. I had it all timed out so ds would nap in the car on the way there. We got there right on time. Then waited....2 1/2 hours!!THEN, the Judge wouldn't let me stay in the courtroom anyway b/c the baby was "making too much noise". GRRRR

So, needless to say, I think having someone to watch/play with your baby while you work is a great idea. I am currently trying to figure out whether to quit or try daycare. Having a "helper" like you describe wouldnt' really work for me, since I'm on the road so often and meeting at peoples houses etc. And, I don't get paid enough to pay someone else a decent hourly wage. Daycare woudl be a big disaster too, I think. I left ds w/ my dad (who he sees at least 1/week and loves) once, for just over an hour. He was absoulelty devastated, and sobbed in my arms for half an hour when I got back.

Good luck. Sorry my exp. isn't more encouraging!
#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 PM

I took dd #1 with me to work for almost a year. I worked at a music store, and we spent a lot of time working with customers and alot of time at the computer. We used a Bjorn and Trekker, and things worked really well for about 8-9 months- very similar to what you're experiencing. When she would get bored with me, or if I was intensely involved with a customer or something, there were alot of willing hands to hold her, and I trusted most of the people that I worked with. About 8 or 9 minths though, I decided it really wasn't fair to her, and I started to cut back my hours to when dh could be home with her, and have gradually phased out of that job. I'm now on "indefinate maternity leave." I was lucky to be able to arrange to do alot of teaching at home, so that we're not missing my income. I wish that there was an easy solution, but I know what you're going through. Good luck figuring things out!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#4 of 4 Old 08-07-2003, 06:24 PM

I only have to bring dd (14 mo) to work for a few hours one day each week, and she "plays" on the floor during my meeting with my very supportive boss. The meeting usually lasts 1.5-2 times longer than it would if she weren't there. The other two days I go into work are on the weekend when dh is home to watch her.

I also work a few hours from home while she's napping. Since you're on the computer, is it something you could do from home? Even if you don't have the proper set up with your home computer, maybe your employer would set you up. Dh works from home one or two days a week, and his company provides the equipment he needs to bring home.

Best of luck! I too, thought it would work out great and get easier the older she got and was able to play by herself, but it's actually getting trickier with timing naps, her demanding my attention just because I'm not paying attention, being mobile and able to get into things and crawl/walk away, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page