Moses Basket? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2003, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone use one? DC #2 is due in a few months and I'm thinking it might be handy to have the baby sleep in something portable so that when 2 yo DD roam around the house, I can bring the baby along, or move the baby to a quieter place! Any favorite ones? Places to get them? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2003, 02:07 AM

I used one and liked it. I was only able to use it the first 3 months though. But, I had to have a c-section, so it was a godsend the first 2 weeks. When the baby wasn't sleeping with me, he was in the basket beside me. Plus, I used it in the bed with me at first since I didn't want to actually co-sleep while on pain meds. Now, I use it to hold DS's toys in the living room.

I got mine from a WAHM off ebay. It came with 2 mattresses, 2 sheets and a bumper. I think mine was about $35, including shipping.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Why only for 3 months, Melanie? DD was a long baby, so I'd hate to have another thing that gets outgrown in a few months, like her infant car seat!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:16 AM

I used a moses basket borrowed from my SIL when DS was first born. It was handy to be able to carry him up or downstairs in it while he was sleeping. He quickly outgrew it though: At first he slept swaddled, but soon decided he'd rather have wiggle room. We stopped using the basket when he was about 6 weeks old because he was pushing his head against the top (he has always been an active sleeper )
and the basket just started to feel too small for him. In retrospect, the price you have to pay for the basket new would not have been worth it for the amount of time we used it. Babies with calmer temperments might get longer use out of it.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:33 PM

We used one but it was hand me down. Luckily, too b/c she only used for few weeks also. now it holds stuffed animals and looks very cute.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 08-08-2003, 07:54 PM

I got a great deal on a moses basket from, of all places, Martha Stewart online about this time last year. I only used it for about 2, perhaps 3 months, but it was a godsend for me. I didn't have to run the stairs so much to put him down. I ran enough chasing my then 2 year old! :

You can also look at places like Hobby Lobby & Michaels for a large basket & if you're crafty, make your own. Could save some money there if you can't find a deal or can't borrow one. They can be pricey, that's for sure!!

Angela: Mum to 3 & wife to the man in the funny suit.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:24 PM

we borrowed one for Ds, but like Melanie only used it for 3 months (when Ds began to be mobile...he was, um, very motivated :LOL ). So I am glad we did not spen $ on it! For Dd we borrowed a very nice basinette that had a detachable moses basket. Again, thank goodness we borrowed it! We used it for 4 months with her.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:51 PM

i got a previously owned one as a gift. it's come in handy as a place to touch down the baby while in the living room and we took it to my mom's house so there'd be a bed for him there. he's 2 months premature so we're probably getting more use out of it than a lot of folks. he's nearly tall enough to touch both ends now. i have no idea what we'll do with it when he gets too big for it.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:14 AM

We were given a really lovely one as a gift but we rarely used it. I liked the idea but ds just wasn't keen on it plus he outgrew it really fast. Now it's being used for blankies and toys.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:15 AM

I got one as a gift for my first DD and we used it all the time. She slept in it until she was about 3 months old and then we lent it to the SIL we got it from for her DD. Then we used it again for my youngest for about 3 months until we brought her to our bed. I loved having it. It was perfect to carry her from room to room without waking them. My SIL got mine at Garden Ridge and my MIL made the bedding for it.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 08-11-2003, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies!

User Tag List