teething - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how did you know your babe was teething, and how did you make them feel better ?

I don't feel anything popping ouy on DS's gums, but he is drooling heavily and knaws hard on my finger, plus he's ben really crabby lately. But, he is only 4 months.
#2 of 14 Old 08-08-2003, 10:03 PM

My baby is younger than yours and had a tooth

Mine started when she was born, there was a little white line under her gums. It would go up and down every few weeks making her cranky for 3 days or so, and then getting better. It fianlly broke the skin (felt like a little razor ) at 2 months.

To sooth her we used Orajel, as she was too young for most teethers. She also used her hand alot.
#3 of 14 Old 08-08-2003, 10:37 PM

Definitly sounds like teething! Four months isn't too early...dd got her bottom two at 5 mo. Hylands Teething tablets are a homeopathic remedy that seemed to work for dd. She didn't like the taste of orajel. On really bad days i sometimes gave her a dose of infant tylenol.
#4 of 14 Old 08-09-2003, 12:18 AM

I think that gigglegalore and I are raising the same dd. I could have written that post except for the part about Oragel. I've never tried it with my dd.

I have an older dd that I buy popsicles for. I call them popsicles but I think they're really called something different. They come in a plastic sleeve and are sold in regular stores in big boxes of 100. Anyway, I have given my dd one of those to suck on. She sucks on the popsicle through the plastic. It made her hands cold though but she didn't seem to mind.

Something I saw on another board is wetting washcloths and freezing them. I took 2 of dd's baby washcloths and wet them, then put them in a baggie in the freezer. They really, really seemed to help. The only problem was she wasn't interested in them very much after they thawed out. I also liked the fact that they didn't make her hands cold. I'm going to put more in the freezer so I have a good supply.

HTH

BTW, my dd is 9 months old and has 6 teeth. She is cutting the top 4 all at the same time. Poor kid!
#5 of 14 Old 08-10-2003, 02:28 PM

We are teething too! Poor Amber has been so cranky lately, I feel so bad for her. Dane got his 1st 2 teeth at about 5 mo. and Amber started teething at 2 mo., so I think she will get her's early like her big brother.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#6 of 14 Old 08-10-2003, 06:05 PM

We discovered ds was teething by discovering the teeth! One day he was sucking on my finger and I felt something hard... lo and behold it was the two front bottom teeth. He had been very cranky but we didn't think it could be teething since he was only 3 months old. Once discovered, we tried baby oragel which sometimes helped and sometimes didn't and as a last resort baby tylenol. He was miserable because he was too young to hold any teething device in his little hands for any coordinated period of time. I didn't hear about hylands teething tablets until after the fact, but will definitly use them when the next teeth start coming in.
#7 of 14 Old 08-15-2003, 08:50 PM

My DS is drooling and gnawing on his fist non-stop at 8 weeks. (It's cute because he'll shove his fist so far in his mouth that he gags: ) Anyway, I was about to post the same question. Could it be teething?? I catch a glimpse of what looks to me like a pale bump on his gumbs when he smiles at me, and when I rub his gumbs that spot seems different than the normal soft bumpiness of his gumbs. It feels, well, sharp actually. Sounds to me like teething, but I'm not exactly experienced in motherhood yet.
:LOL
What do ya think????
#8 of 14 Old 08-16-2003, 09:50 AM

We used this thing called a safe feeder, which is a little mesh bag that screws onto a handle. It has really small holes, so nothing that the baby could choke on could get through. One suggestion, from another MDC user was to put some frozen peas into it. I used frozen pieces of banana and peach also grated apple that I had frozen.

But if your babe is too young for solids I guess this wouldn't be a good solution. Rubbing their gums with your own clean finger worked good for me.

I have to admit, my boy is getting his top four all at once, and sometimes Tylenol is the only thing that helps. That, and going for a bath.
#9 of 14 Old 08-17-2003, 01:51 AM

My little guy showed signs of teething starting at 4 months...drooling, and he wasn't coordinated enough to hang on to a teether, so it was his hand or my finger. He would get fussy too and I started using Hylands teething tablets. His two bottom teeth came in at about 5.5 months...he's 6 months now and working on some more teeth, but I can't yet tell which ones. Hylands tablets are my saving grace...he gets very fussy without them. Baths help before bed too...it helps to calm him.

#10 of 14 Old 08-17-2003, 02:30 AM

I think it is so hard to tell because signs of teething can mean other things. I thought my little one was teething at four months also. Two days ago his first tooth finally broke through. He is ten months old. At four months he definatly had all the signs. I just comfort him with my breast and also by giving him a warm wash cloth to chew on.
#11 of 14 Old 08-17-2003, 11:35 PM

I think they are "teething" all the time.But once they get to be about 6 mos, they are better at actually swallowing their saliva.

my 6.5 month old is teething for sure. when he had gotten wild from pain I have rubbed a couple of drops of bach's rescue remedy on his gums. I know the base of it is brandy, and some may argue not to do this, but it really works for me. and literally, I use two little drops. I really believe in rescue remedy, though. and I'm not into orajel.

I need to freeze some washcloths too
#12 of 14 Old 08-18-2003, 10:44 AM

Its funny, I was just going to this page to post this same question....how do you know when baby is teething. I think we're all thinking the same thing. DD is 7 1/2 months old and has no teeth yet. She went through the drooly stage at 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 months and hasn't been drooling at all for about 2 months and now all of a sudden is drooling like PILES of drool. She is also fussy, cranky, has loud shouting outbursts and is waking up several times a night all of sudden. I was thinking it must be a tooth. No tooth yet though.....we shall see.

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#13 of 14 Old 08-19-2003, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I have an older dd that I buy popsicles for. I call them popsicles but I think they're really called something different. They come in a plastic sleeve and are sold in regular stores in big boxes of 100. Anyway, I have given my dd one of those to suck on. She sucks on the popsicle through the plastic. It made her hands cold though but she didn't seem to mind.
Just a side note on the above paragraph from my earlier post. Dd now has 6 teeth (two bottom, 4 top) and can now bite little holes in the plastic. The popsicle then leaks everywhere!

She bites little pieces off of her board books too. She also bites me, dh, her sister, etc. Either she is getting more teeth or her upper ones are still bothering her even though they have broken the surface.
#14 of 14 Old 08-19-2003, 01:04 PM

You will see white dots. My ds started teething at 4mos he is now 5months with 2 bottom teeth trying to push up more. He uses orjel,motrin and I lots of teething ring..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page