Best baby gift you ever received?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got two of my own but a friend just had a baby & i'd like to get her something really great. I'd love to hear what you all received as gifts that you absolutely loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 02:34 PM
acp

If she's into babywearing (and depending how much you want to spend) I think a sling/wrap/ergo is a great present. You might want to find out what type she'd prefer, though - personally, I love the versatility of a wrap and the ease and comfort of the ergo (and DD was never much of a sling/pocket girl since she didn't like the cradle carry).

Other things that I think make good gifts, and cover a range of prices:
- cute babylegs or maybe some robeez in 6-12 month size
- something you know she really *needs* like a carseat
- even though I think most people get way too many baby clothes as gifts, I think getting a few really "nice" clothes - that she won't buy for herself since they're pricey - like Hanna Andersson or Zutano or Under the Nile - is nice. Especially if you get them in bigger sizes, since generally all the gifts are for the first 6 months.
- books or good music for babies are always great gifts
- i also loved getting things from mothers that were things their kids had loved - so a couple good-quality wooden or cloth toys, for instance, that were your kids' favorite at a certain age. Or their favorite books, or whatever some of the things were that you had found you couldn't live without as a mother. I felt like it meant so much more getting something along with the comment, "this was my child's absolute favorite" - especially if it was something I wasn't likely to come across on my own.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:48 PM

that's a tough one. a lot depends on the actual baby. I'm going to totally get flamed for not being AP enough on this :, but the *best* gift we've received is our FP nature sounds cradle swing. It's in our bedroom, and DS sleeps the first half of the night in it. He has pretty bad reflux, and would NOT fall asleep any other way, except on one of our chests, something that I'm not comfortable doing in bed when we're both asleep. He sleeps the first several hours there, then when he wakes to feed, he comes to bed with us and I cradle him in one arm between us.

If I'd had a full termer without reflux, we'd never use that swing. The only time we use it is for the first half of the night. But it is *exactly* what he needs, and his sleep is so much more restful now. A friend with a refluxer gave it to us, even though we said we didn't think we'd use it.

Definitely agree with PP on the clothes in larger sizes. My son was a five pounder, so once he was born we got lots of *tiny* clothes. We're now getting into his 3-6 month stuff, and I'm really appreciating the people who gave me those items back in July when I couldn't imagine my baby ever being big enough for them!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our very best baby gift ever was from my ILs when #3 was born. They bought us a HUGE Rainbow playstructure .

Prob not what you were thinking, but you did ask . For a winter time baby, I loved the Robeeze boots, they are really warm and cute. Or a little minkee blanket, or Sandra Boyton books are great, they are fun to read and the kids love them. I also agree with acp, that something that you loved is a great gift!

HTH

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM

This is simple and not a full gift but I loved this little bouncy seat but for the sink. It made bathtime so easy and I didn't have to deal with a big, bulky baby tub. Mine was similiar to this but didn't fold away but it did store easliy under bathroom sink. I see them at Toys R Us.

Robeez - since I didn't know about them!

Sling - from Hotslings.
My mom gave this to me. Still use it today and "baby" is 3 yrs old!

Dinners cooked and delivered by friends and neighbors. I didn't make dinner for two weeks once I came home. A true Godsend. Maybe you could get a bunch of people to sign up for different nights and have them drop off a meal each.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM

My favorite gift was an organic bath towel for baby and some Weleda baby products. I know it sounds simple but I loved drying him off with this soft organic towel.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Bought it for myself but the DVD version of "the happiest baby on the block" I can't imagine the trouble we would have been in with out it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM

My favorite gift for DS was a handmade flannel blanket and matching shoulder bag that DH's aunt made for us. I appreciate the time and effort that she went to-it probably wouldn't matter what she had made I just appreciated that she took the time to make us something special. I know not everyone has the ability to make gifts, but those always seem to be the most special gifts to me.

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 PM

I got this basket for my second child and it has been WAY more useful than I thought it would.....even my husband loves it!

http://www.sarabearbaskets.com/

Yes, I know all of the pics show disposable diapes and wipes but it can be used for sooooo many more things!

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

A big gift card to Dream Dinners, where you go and prepare meals and freeze them-- then even when you're sick of take out, you can eat freshly home-cooked food with no shopping, just whipping up really tasty meals. Now there is an organic version in our town (and I'm hoping they rely less on processed/white carbs), so I know what I'm asking for with the next baby!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM

What *I* loved/would have loved....

1- Burts Bees Baby care. OMG I am still working through the two large (plus a few sample sizes) of the baby oil. All three of mine have been rubbed with burts bees baby oil, and that scent is just *~baby~* to me, yknow? I received several "gift sets" from BB and the oil and baby shampoo/wash get used all the time. And B is coming up on 8 months, but I still have oil and wash a'plenty!

2- GC to happytushies.com I had several friends gift me with theses gc's and I ended up with some great stuff. I have a couple wetbags, wipes, wipe solutions, spray bottle, laundry powder (basically baking powder with EO's) deo disks, etc. All things that are incredibly useful, but not things I would have spent my own money on, on number 3 baby you know?

3- Lanolin. For the breasts, for woollies if she will use them, for diaper rash, it's just the single most useful gift I have ever received.

4- Something to grow into. Whether it be a nice outfit, wooden toy etc. Something to look forward to and bring out at 6 months+ when all the gorgeous and sweet newborn gifts are too small.

5- robeez/well fitting socks/handknit booties/babylegs for the winter babies. I can't tell you how often I run out to the resale for yet another pair (or 10 ) of baby socks. Erg.

6- A babyhawk Mei tai. OK, so any great baby carrier, really. But in close to 7 years (practically straight) of babywearing, I have never owned a better carrier. I love my wraps, love some pockets, etc. But the babyhawk is stylish and trendy looking enough to woo the more mainstream mamas, comfy as all get out, versatile... I ust can't say enough! Be prepares to offer assistance if the mama is a little skittish about "tyeing one on" so to speak...( Har har, I like my little jokes...)

More obviously, but those are the gifts that would make me bow down and kiss the feet of the gifter...:

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Not things I've gotten as gifts but my favorite baby items:

Babyhawk Mei Tai

Miracle Blanket Swaddling Blanket

Portable Swing (good for when I need to take a shower)

GC to restaurants for the postpartum period or to a photo place

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM

The ergo hands down!

And I appreciated the clothes and cloth diapers too.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 PM

The best gift we got was 1 dozen cloth diapers. (Thanks Mom!) Also, we got some organic cotton baby toys which we so appreciated.

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 
Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM

maya wrap hands down

made my life easy

useable for more than one kid

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM

My favorite gift was Burt's Bees products and a Mothering subscription (had never heard of it). Couldn't live without my Boppy also.

My fave thing I bought myself was the Ergo, hotsling, and bouncy seat.

My favorite gift to give is a baby carrier and natural bath products.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 PM

I LOVE my Burts Bees stuff. The shampoo bar lasts FOREVER!

I got 2 moby's. I used 'em ALL the time.

Piggy Bank - Something cute and something I didn't think of AT ALL!

wooden toys / teether (didn't get any as gifts, but I would have liked to)

Toy Basket / Box for the living room. (it also had saftey gear in it as part of the gift)

books
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 PM

I would have loved a carrier.

I still don't have a carrier, but I would have really, really liked to receive one as a gift.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Miracle swaddling blanket is a huge help. Love it.

Other than that, I got a very generous gift card from a vendor for Target which has been one of the most useful things we received. There are so many incidental things you need once the baby comes just when you're not making any money due to maternity leave.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 PM

oh, I thought of something else. I really liked (would have liked) stuff for older babies/toddlers... A walking toy, a baby bjorn potty ... I did get and LOVE our portable high-chair seat that clips onto the table.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:40 PM

best *gift* was the lamby, handsdown. still use it as a cozy spot to change visiting babies.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 PM

aio diapers
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Actually one of my favorites was a CD by Elizabeth Mitchell.
We've ended up getting all her CDs -- really great children's music that so wonderful DH and I like to listen to it even when the baby isn't there.
And I'd never heard of her, so it was great b/c it was something I wouldn't have found on my own.

A great baby carrier would also be a fabulous gift. I lend my mobys out to all the new moms I know, and I get tons of compliments on my babyhawk from even mainstream people.

A lot of what ends up being the "best" gift is kind of random I think -- it depends on what the baby is like, etc. For example, I'm also particularly grateful for a package of socks that FIL bought b/c they are the ONLY ones that stay on the baby's feet (they're from Gymboree, and I don't really shop there, so I wouldn't have found them otherwise). And a $10 Lamaze toy (Freddy the Firefly) that my mom got is the baby's absolute favorite favorite thing to play with in the carseat. Whereas it turns out she HATED her swing, I never used the Baby Bjorn I was so excited about (b/c I found out about other types of carriers later)...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 AM

well the best gift I got was donor milk when DD was sick and I had none...but that isn't what you want to know.

Same person also gave me her Moby. I LOVED it for the first few months. I have lent/ recommended it for new moms and they also love it!

Bobbi
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbirs View Post
well the best gift I got was donor milk when DD was sick and I had none...but that isn't what you want to know.

Bobbi
That is the best gift of all!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 AM

My favorite baby gift was a swaddling blanket & matching burp cloth set from "Swaddle Designs" very cute, but I would have never bought it for myself:
www.swaddledesigns.com/burpies.html

I would also vote for Babylegs or Robeez too.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 AM

For my winter babe the robeez boots were amazing because they REALLY stay on! With him, the ergo was an amazing thing, and a big long body pillow that I used for the edge of the bed so he didn't roll off (it has a flap that you place the baby on so they can't push the pillow off the bed). Um ... I'm kinda blanking. My mom got me an ipod because I spent so many hours sitting and doing squat b'fing etc., that was a great gift (depending, of course, on how GOOD a friend your friend is LOL!). I already had a sling, but a good ring sling or pouch would be a wonderful gift. Maybe a GC to someplace that sells lots of different kinds of slings would be better if she doesn't know what to do. Then she can call and talk w/the mama/owner and figure out what might work best for her.

Good luck!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM

http://www.fillintheblankie.com/

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:08 PM

I received a subscription to Mothering at my first baby shower 7 1/2 years ago. It opened my mind to so many things I had never considerred. It changed my life, really.

That, and food.

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM
g&a

a sling. I would never have spent the money to buy one for myself, but it became indespensible. I had no idea.
But I gave one to a friend and she didn't use it at all (she did try). so, it's not for everyone.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

User Tag List