almost 4 weeks postpartum bleeding -- normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else continued to bleed at 4 weeks postpartum? It is not at all heavy, but at times is a bright pink/red (indicating fresh blood?). Just reassure me this is normal. I am in no mood to call or make a visit to my OB. I can't stand dealing with them.
#2 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:00 PM

I bled after my dd for 3 months and there was nothing wrong with me : I even went in and had my lining checked for infection. Unless more is going on than just the bleeding I would think it was normal for you. I know many have long times of bleeding post partum.

It might be a indictaion that you should be taking it a bit more easy if you try and do to much it can cause you to keep bleeding or make it worse.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM

lurking here but thought I could reassure you...with all four of mine I had bleeding for 4-6 weeks postpartum...it was scantier as time went on.

An increase in bleeding usually means you are doing too much.

I also found that I would bleed a litte during breastfeeding but I am sure that had to do with slight uterine contractions as well..I could feel them with my last 2 babies but not with my first 2.
#4 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:32 PM

I bleed only 2 weeks with my first 2. This time I bleed 6 weeks and then spotted for another 4 weeks. There is a huge range of 'normal'
Take care of your self eat/sleep well and enjoy your little one this will all fly by sooooooo fast.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#5 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
acp

I bled for about 4 weeks pp. My midwife told me to expect bleeding for up to 6 weeks, and sometimes it can go longer. Her general rule of thumb was that if I started excercising - taking a long walk, etc - and experienced an increase in the level of bleeding, to back off a bit until it went back down, and not to do any really heavy exercise until it had stopped completely. I think as long as it's starting to become less over time, it's totally normal.
#6 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

i'm almost 4 weeks postpartum and while i'm down to a very thin regular pad, i'm still bleeding. my midwife told me up to 6 weeks is very normal. i find it is heavier when i poo but, maybe that's just the time of day? who knows. i sure would like it to stop, i'm so done with pads.
#7 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

8-9wks here...off and on...heavier and lighter. (and then I got one month of no bleeding before AF came back - oh well!!!!)
#8 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM

I bled for 6 weeks, it would taper off and then come back bright red for a day sometimes. I was home and not doing much of anything either. Then I stopped for 3 weeks, and started with AF again!
#9 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 PM

About 6 weeks with both of mine. Freaked me out the first time, because I kept reading that it's only supposed to last a week or so, then turn pink and finally go away (after a couple weeks!). Then I do more research and talk to more women, and it seems that 4-6 weeks is about average.

Just be cautious of a big change in the bleeding. It could be a sign that something is wrong. And watch that it doesn't have a foul odor (other than bloody odor), which could be a sign of infection.

It also might stop for a day or two, only to come back for another week. I did that a few times with this one. I kept thinking it was over, only to have it come back again.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#10 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM

I'm almost 6 weeks out and still bleeding a bit. I went for my 6 week pp visit yesterday and they said it's totally normal!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#11 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM

I bled for 6 wks, so there is nothing wrong!

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#12 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM

i bled for around 6 weeks, nothing was wrong. i am just a bleeder.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#13 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Nothing to worry about I bleed for about 4 weeks and spotted for another couple. If you're passing clots bigger than a quarter or the bleeding is increasing (though a stop start sort of spotting is pretty normal) than you're "doing too much"

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#14 of 19 Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks SO much for the reassurance, everyone!
#15 of 19 Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 AM

8w pp and still bleeding here

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#16 of 19 Old 11-21-2007, 02:37 AM

I did all 3 times. I agree w/ previous poster - take it easy!

I think it was a reminder to me I needed to slow down - I'd just given birth, for goodness sake!
#17 of 19 Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 AM

I bled for 9 weeks, got 9 weeks off, and then got AF : That just doesn't seem fair (EBF, too!!)!!

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#18 of 19 Old 11-21-2007, 04:52 AM

I had renewed bleeding 4 wks pp and the midwife told me to take it easy. The bleeding tapered off and then showed up again at 8 wks pp.... and then again at 12 wks pp... I couldn't believe it. We nursed full-time and have a family bed - I literally nurse all night! Oh well.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#19 of 19 Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Totally normal.

with all 3 I bled for up to 8/9 weeks, and the last couple of weeks were on/off.

If you are heamorrhaging (spelling anyone?) It is a lot more like a heavy dark red period than pinkish/brownish post partum bleeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page