Anyone have any opinions on a baby backpack? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-09-2003, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a front pack carrier that converts to a backpack that I've been using when I take dd out for walks (ok, it's mostly for myself in my attempt to lose some poundage). She is almost grown out of it, so I'm looking to buy a backpack.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to get something super cheap either. I will use it mostly for walking, no jogging or hiking or anything like that.

Thanks!

Jessica, dizzy.gifmom to 3 little ladiesjumpers.gif and babygirl.gif babyboy.gif twins who can't figure out where her avatar came from.

#2 of 9 Old 08-10-2003, 01:57 AM

I am interested in what everyone has to say about backpacks. I am thinking of getting one for dd. Sorry no advice.
#3 of 9 Old 08-10-2003, 03:54 PM

Well, like a lot of mamas on this board, I forked over and got and Ergo, and it is really great. It's pricey ($75-$85) but I saved up and I have to say it's well worth it. Some mamas don't like it but Ergo is great about returns apparently. My DD is 7 mo and around 16 lbs, and she's a little small for it but still *loves* to ride in it, front or back! It is kind of a pain to put on but we're getting better at it every time.

I am also walking with her in it to lose "poundage" safely, so good luck to you on that front too.

you can get it at www.ergobabycarrier.com or peppermint.com, and there are a few other sites that carry it.
#4 of 9 Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM

I love the Tough Traveler! I have the Stallion model which I think retails for $160 but I got mine on ebay for about $60. I tried the Gerry Baby, Evenflo, and Kelty and all of them pulled on my shoulders too much. The Tough Traveler frame is lightweight and non bulky and it distributes the weight perfectly. They have a website www.toughtraveler.com

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#5 of 9 Old 08-11-2003, 03:44 PM

ERGO! ERGO!

Seriously, this thing is worth the price. It is a little tricky to put on at first, but I've gotten pretty good. I also love how small and light it is when dd wants to walk.
#6 of 9 Old 08-11-2003, 08:38 PM

i have to say, i love the ergo too!! i also love my packababy.
#7 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 AM

remynyc ~ I hope you don't mind me asking since you have both - which do you find yourself reaching for most often? Could your DH use either? Do you have a favorite? I can't justify both but can't make up my mind either.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#8 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 10:56 PM

We have the Ergo and one of the Kelty frame backpacks. I like the Ergo because it is front or back loading. It is tricky to get on by yourself but dd and I are getting better about it. We have only used it in the front position so far. I use it around town, the zoo, short walks. My husband carries dd around in the Kelty when we hike, take dogs for a walk and do anything long. She seems to like both packs but I would say she definately seems to enjoy the Kelty more. The sits higher up and sees the world a lot better in the Kelty. We carry a pocket mirror with us so the person carrying her can see her too (drawbacks to back carrying). The frame does make it bulkier but it includes a daypack to put neccessities in.
#9 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a top of the line Kelty ($200 or so retail - we got an awsome deal through employee purchase like $80 sorry, I just get so excited about a good deal :LOL) and Yakima one and like both pretty well. the yakima one is simpler and easier to adjust. the kelty one is nice and plush though.

http://www.yakima.com/home.html (it doesn't link directly but on the top menu bar click on products, go to the bottom and find chilrens stuff and then find the grasshopper backpack)

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm...tion=Kids.Home

I think what we have is comprable to the back country (we bought it 6 years ago - I should say it still looks brand new despite the abuse it has taken.)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page