More poop problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-11-2003, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My poor little 9 month old ds has been battling with constipation ever since we started solids (at about 6 months). Every once in awhile he will have a few days of normal bm's but more often then not, he's all bunged up.

He's primarily bf with small amounts of: prunes, pears, peas, blueberries, or cherries daily. He gets about 30ml/day of pear or apricot juice. We also give him little bits of baby cookie (wheat based). On an average day, he will have about 4 tablespoons of solid food. We have been sprinkling bran on everything he eats. We do not feed him apples, bananas, rice cereal, carrots, or squash because these may be constipating for some babies. Although his iron levels have been tested and are borderline, I haven't been supplementing his diet at all (iron drops can be constipating).

Even with this "poop friendly" diet, he has little, dry, hard bm's every 4 days or so most of the time. He strains and sometimes cries while passing stool. When he's really constipated he spits up copiously after nursing. He has lots of really wet diapers so I don't think dehydration is a problem. We have had to resort to using glycerin suppositories on occasion.

What else can we be doing? Should I go back to exclusively bf him until his tummy settles? I'm worried about his low iron levels (he was 4 weeks premature). He has 6 teeth and loves chewing on bits of solid food. Could his past painful experiences with passing bm's make him afraid to poop? I think he might be in a perpetuating cycle of: being afraid to poop - holding it in - painful constipated bm's...
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-11-2003, 03:05 AM

hmmm, just a couple of guesses here...
maybe you could do some tummy massage (with his diaper off, but with him on an open dipe or something incase he poops whilke you are massaging) i think the massage is gently stroking the tummy from his neck down to hips and then gently rubbing circles like your following his intestines. also you could bring his knees to his chest a few times.

you may be eating something that doesn't agree with him since his body may have benn sensitized by something

i would stop the wheat based cookie and switch to the wheat free. also i would elliminate dairy, wheat and soy from both of your diets for two weeks then add in one type of thing for one wekk then the next type of thing...
(it's a modified ellimination diet)

if you increase you intake of olive oil or flax oil it can help him go better (ie, slug a tablespoon of olive oil or make some veggies liberally sauted in it)

well those are some things off the top of my head, hope something helps

btw, dairy is usually a huge culprit in constipation and it is hidden everywhere! whey, casin, casinate....
#3 of 5 Old 08-11-2003, 05:43 PM

In the Super Baby Food Book, it said to make sure they get water when they start solids. Not sure if that would help or not.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#4 of 5 Old 08-11-2003, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BowenTherapist. I didn't know constipation could be a sign of food sensitivity. My ds certainly fits the description of an "allergy baby". As a young infant he would scream after nursing and had nasty colic for months. Then at about 4 months the eczema showed up all over his legs and arms. I did an elimination diet at that time with the help of our local LLL. We cut out: dairy, soy, wheat, corn, oats, nuts, barley, and apples. The result was a much happier baby and the eczema disappeared within a few weeks. Thinking he was growing out of his food sensitivities I had started eating oats, barley and apples again...especially lots of oats, right about the time his constipation really flared up.
So, I will take the oats, barley, and apples out of my diet, and the wheat cookies out of his. I'm hopeful that this will help. Thanks for taking the time to write your suggestions.

I'll check out that Super Baby Foods Book Steffanie3. He hasn't been drinking straight water (it's pretty hard to get him to take much by cup) but rather watered down juice instead.
#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2003, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yaaaay,
My little guy is on the path to regularity. We stopped feeding him teething cookies, increased his prune juice/water intake, and I stopped eating oats (which he used to react to). His bm's are back to normal, he isn't spitting up anymore, and the rash on his bum is gone. Many thanks,

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page