solids and green poop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has had a couple of green poops since starting solids. one had bits of identifiable sweet potato in it. i stopped offering sweet potato for the time being because that had me kind of concerned...

but she had some again today, after a little avocado yesterday. in general, she is stooling more frequently than when she was only drinking breastmilk. is that normal? is the green okay? i think it means something is bothering her stomach. she has only had little bits of food for about the past 2 weeks. the green just started a couple days ago with the sweet potato.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#2 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
DD has had a couple of green poops since starting solids. one had bits of identifiable sweet potato in it. i stopped offering sweet potato for the time being because that had me kind of concerned...

but she had some again today, after a little avocado yesterday. in general, she is stooling more frequently than when she was only drinking breastmilk. is that normal? is the green okay? i think it means something is bothering her stomach. she has only had little bits of food for about the past 2 weeks. the green just started a couple days ago with the sweet potato.
bump

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#3 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 01:15 PM

I think little bits of food is normal, as long as it's not the whole meal. Grape skins, bean skins, etc are totally normal. The green- sometimes mine's would get that way when she'd nurse in shorter increments because of being distracted. I just would block feed her so she got the hind milk too.
#4 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
in general, she is stooling more frequently than when she was only drinking breastmilk. is that normal? is the green okay?
Green can be okay and following avocado I would say it is okay. Green food = green poop for sure. It is normal for her to have a bm more often after starting solids. I do agree that you should wait to do sweet potato again. Just keep taking it slow, introing easy foods, etc. As long as she is showing all the signs of readiness for solids and no allergic type reactions it is probably just her tummy adjusting.
#5 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM

could it be iron in the solids? BM doesn't have much iron and I know when my baby needed formula his poop became dark green because of the iron in it and once a person I worked medically for took iron supplements and her poop turned green too.
#6 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM

My 6mo old's son's poop turned green after peaches. I didn't do them again cause it freaked me out. Would you say that's normal too?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#7 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
My 6mo old's son's poop turned green after peaches. I didn't do them again cause it freaked me out. Would you say that's normal too?
yeah, that's kinda how i felt about the sweet potato...seemed weird that an orange food would make her poop green!

the only foods that seem perfectly fine on her tummy so far are meats. she loves them and i notice nothing weird after she eats them. oh, and bananas seem fine, too.

#8 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Although peach isn't citrus, I think it is stone fruit, I would say it was probably to acidic for a 6 month old and likely the cause of green poop. I would wait awhile to try that one again - maybe start with something more mild like white peaches?
#9 of 10 Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM

I see bits of food in DS's poop all of the time. I can tell exactly what he ate (Is there an ewwww smiley?).

He self feeds and meets all of the readiness signs. I hope it is normal to see little pieces of fruit and whatnot in baby poo.

love.gif

#10 of 10 Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It IS normal to see bits of food in baby poo. It's part of what makes self-feeding so wonderful- they eat what they enjoy eating, and they only digest what they need. What passes through undigested doesn't interfere with their appetites for breastmilk.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page