self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread... - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We discovered tonight that Charlotte loves refried black beans from Trader Joe's! We had to give her a bath right after dinner because she'd spread them all over her face, arms and hands! :

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM

very cute!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM

lmk1,

DH loves mannaya kasha.

DH's weaning story goes like this: Formula was a scarce thing in rural Ukraine in 1980. MIL got her hands on one can. DH refused to nurse ever again after that. His staple became mannaya kasha.

She doesn't understand why I worry about food allergies. They were virtually unheard of where she came from. She and DH say they occasionally heard of a child getting hives from red dye, citrus, chocolate, but if they didn't eat it for a while they could soon resume eating it in moderation.

I said maybe it is because our bodies here are so full of pollution and food additives that we are more sensitive to things than a human is meant to be. Perhaps it is because stuff here is so genetically modified that our bodies interpret it as an invasion of an alien substance instead of nourishment.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Iron- Here's the link to the kellymom breastfeeding page on iron http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

The sound bite version is:
Quote:
Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores. In one of these studies, done by Pisacane in 1995, the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia.
and
Quote:
A recent review article on iron (Griffin and Abrams, 2001) indicates that if your baby is basically healthy, iron deficiency in the absence of anemia should not have developmental consequences.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We do a lot of oatmeal with yogurt for breakfast, fruit and rice cakes for snack, and for dinner.... well, if you buy a bag of frozen veggies, dump them in a bowl with a little splash of water, pop a paper plate on top and microwave them for a few minutes you'll have steamed veggies ready to go. So far DD2 loves green beans, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and water cress. And they all came out of freezer bags. Sure, not as good for her as garden fresh produce, but it means that no matter what we have for lunch or dinner there will be things on our plate that we can share with her.
Nothing beats freshly picked and still warm from the sun, but:

Frozen veggies have been found to be higher in nutrients than their "fresh" supermarket counterparts. The logic is that frozen veggies are frozen almost immediately, while fresh ones spend a long time in trucks and warehouses and sitting on shelves, with the nutrients disintegrating all the while.

I have a high needs baby. I don't have time to wash vegetables, pick off the bad spots, cut into bite size pieces, etc. Do you know how much fresh spinach it takes to equal a bag of frozen?!?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower18
Canid - I'm in a similar boat as you. I gave DS some orange peels to play with and he stuck them in his mouth (to my surprise) and started sucking on them. I didn't find out until later that you shouldn't introduce citrus fruits until after their 1 year old due to the acidity. Oh well, he really enjoyed the little bits of orange that were left on the peel.
The peel itself doesn't have acid. That is why you can use citrus zests in creamy deserts without curdling them. So if acid is a concern, I don't see why you couldn't give clean peels.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Do you know how much fresh spinach it takes to equal a bag of frozen?!?

Yes... we call it the amazing vanishing plant.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 AM

OK, I'm starting to get concerned about iron despite the stuff posted here. What foods should I offer DS that are high in iron and appropriate for BLW? I think there has been mention before in this thread but I just know DS will wake up if I start searching! TIA!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnybee View Post
OK, I'm starting to get concerned about iron despite the stuff posted here. What foods should I offer DS that are high in iron and appropriate for BLW? I think there has been mention before in this thread but I just know DS will wake up if I start searching! TIA!
Well there's the post right above with the Kellymom links...?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...n#post10806793

If you're still BFing and your DS is under 1, he is probably OK.

We basically do BLW but I still give DD baby cereal with breast milk which is loaded with iron. I love baby cereal (not rice, we do organic oat & barley cereal) myself so we have it in the house anyway. She can feed it to her self with a spoon but makes a mess and takes forever, so I help her along some times. I think dates have iron? I give her dates sometimes. Ummm.. what else ...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 AM

Raisens, avocado, black beans, leafy greens (especially kale and spinach), and meat all have high iron content. Vegetable sources of iron are generally more absorbable.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Raisens, avocado, black beans, leafy greens (especially kale and spinach), and meat all have high iron content. Vegetable sources of iron are generally more absorbable.
How old was your babe when you tried raisins? DD is 9 months... I love raisins and would love for her to try them. Maybe if I cut them up a bit?

Also, what's the general consensus on when to allow a babe to try tomatoes? I think I remember reading somewhere that tomatoes are a potential allergen...

Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
I love baby cereal (not rice, we do organic oat & barley cereal) myself so we have it in the house anyway. She can feed it to her self with a spoon but makes a mess and takes forever, so I help her along some times.
Okay. I admit ignorance. What's the deal with baby cereal? Why is it considered baby manna? Why is it traditional first food?
I haven't even considered it because it's a processed food....?

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 AM

Raisens I think I bit in half for him after he'd been eating for a month or two. Also for his first birthday he got carrot cake cupcakes with raisens, and he ate those whole (they get softer with cooking).

Spaghetti with sauce was one of Naked Baby's first combo foods - probably after a month or two. Loves it!

My opinion on baby cereal is that when people start feeding their babies "solids" when they're not ready at 6mo, 4mo, 3wks, they have to give something the baby wouldn't die from. So it had to be bland and totally mushy and wet, and something people could spoon into their baby whether the baby wanted it or not.

I do think it's different if it's something you eat yourself (although I'll look at you funny if you do ).
Old 03-21-2008, 10:39 AM

I eat and enjoy grits, oatmeal and cream of wheat etc.....

That's why I let DD have them too - but it is home made oatmeal, ground brown rice (which isn't that bad).

But we didn't give the boxed baby cereal - WAY too processed for us to be happy giving it to my DD - that and I've tasted it before - GROSS!

Our first Ped gave us the iron cereal talk at 2 months and 4 months and then we had left already. and the new ped at 6 months never mentioned it all - just checked if we were still nursing - asked how much (I am always embarrassed that I don't know - we nurse whenever she wants, I don't chart it anymore - they smiled) And we talked about what she had been eating - avacado, broccoli etc. and they never brought up the iron fortified cereal.

Also the last visit (DD was 10 mo old) we had I was discussing BLW with the nurse who has a DD just a little younger than my DD - And she wanted to start solids and wasn't sure how - so of course I gave her links she was facinated.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM

DS's favorite food is asparagus! Who would've guessed.

So is food supposed to come out in the same shape and style as it went in when they are first eating? There was even long shreds of asaparagus in his poop today.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM

That's pretty typical, yea. Naked Baby FLIPS for black beans - he'll just eat and eat and eat them. But I'm not sure he's ever actually digested any, judging by his fecal output.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:48 AM

raisin bread is a good way to give raisins. they get really soft in the bread (like i cake). i toast the raisin bread and slice it. yummo. i also put a little butter on it. he's probably supposed to wait until a year to try butter : i can't remember the rule on butter. he doesn't seem to have any bad reaction to it (or anything else i've given him thus far).
Old 03-22-2008, 04:28 AM

or instead of butter do coconut oil. yum!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 03-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower18 View Post

So is food supposed to come out in the same shape and style as it went in when they are first eating? There was even long shreds of asaparagus in his poop today.
Isn't it great to see which foods our LO's will prefere - When given choices DD will always eat the green food first and she absolutely loves Broccoli, asparagus and brussel sprouts - if she see's me getting them ready to cook she gets all excited and wants them immediatly.

I think it's going to be a while before everything get digested - DD who's nearly 11 mo still doesn't digest beans or peas and I still remember the first few months after feeding her broccoli or anythin greally you could tell what she had eaten.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower18 View Post
Our babe loves asparagus, too! Yesterday she had asparagus and broccoli, and enjoyed both - still not really ingesting anything.

This morning she went to town on the stem of a banana.. I'm trying to avoid giving her fruit, but the woody end of the banana seemed okay (she has sucked on an apple slice, but not often).

I can't imagine the stem tasted very good, but I think it probably felt good on her gums.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Thank you! We have tried avocado a couple times but DS doesn't seem too interested. So far holding a nice chunk of apple is his favorite. He isn't too keen on bananas either so I'm thinking he just likes the hard stuff now b/c he is teething? He really, really does not eat much besides breast milk, so that was why I was concerned about iron.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Oh, lentils I think are a pretty good source, too. And almonds?

Honestly though, your milk's iron is highly absorbable, and he's unlikely to have any iron-related problems, even if he doesn't dig the spinach. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but it's not LIKELY either.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
Also, what's the general consensus on when to allow a babe to try tomatoes? I think I remember reading somewhere that tomatoes are a potential allergen...
10 months or so...not because of allergies, but they're just very acidic and might irritate their tummies. i know when i was pg and had bad heartburn it could set it off for me.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tom...oodrecipes.htm
Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 AM

Hey hey hey! We're here! Haven't made my way through the whole thread yet but I'll get there eventually.

Self feeding rocks! Avery is 10.5 months and we (I) am pretty lazy with the solid food thing. Honestly, I only give them to her when I want to get some housework done (in the high chair she goes to play with her food while I do stuff close by) or when I am eating (then I give her whatever I am having mostly to keep her occupied so I can actually eat for once). It is going really well. My mom gets on my case about her not eating solids all the time but I really couldn't care less about what she has to say. Peanut had a check up the other day and her pediatrician told me not to bother bringing her back to him until she was 2 years old unless I think something is wrong because as he puts it, "You're obviously doing something right so just keep doing what you're doing!" She is fat and happy and still loves the boobie but is intrigued by big people food.

So far, she eats bananas, avocados (she ate a whole one the other day ), bread, and macaroni with meat sauce. This week we are going to give scrambled eggs a shot. I am going to try peas again when I remember; last month she seemed to have a hard time with them.

I wish I knew about this when DD1 was a baby, I just didn't know any better and did whatever my mom told me I should do .

Avery cracks me up because every time she puts a new food in her mouth she makes a face like she just ate a piece of poo instead of, say, cheese!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
Avery is 10.5 months and we (I) am pretty lazy with the solid food thing. Honestly, I only give them to her when I want to get some housework done (in the high chair she goes to play with her food while I do stuff close by) or when I am eating (then I give her whatever I am having mostly to keep her occupied so I can actually eat for once).
I'm the same way!!! I think most people think I'm crazy for not feeding DD more solids, but she doesn't care and it's so much easier for her to nurse right now. The only reason why she gets solids at this point is to keep her occupied long enough for us to eat our meals in (relative) peace!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:01 PM

i'd like to join at this point... im not absolutely sure yet if i m going to do BLW all the way or just partially, but my nearly 6month old put a plastic spoon in his mouth the other day and had a great time with it - it looked like he was ready to feed himself! up until recently i've seen no signs of interest. he's also suddenly trying to grab food off our plates - this is just a matter of days now - and staring longingly (and crying) at food when people eat around him. i'm quite excited about it all really, i've had so much resistance to the whole solids thing up till now but funniily enough i started feeling ready around the same time DS seems to.

so...we are going to start with a little mashed banana in a couple of days. it looks like there's an interesting array of foods in the babies' repertoires on here
Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 PM

Just got back from Easter dinner and it was a disaster in my mind. How do you guys discuss self-feeding/BLW with others that might be trying to feed your baby? And, I know that everyone is following their own "schedules", but I'm generally following the recommended food guidelines as to when to introduce certain foods...I'm just allowing baby to self-feed the items. I didn't discuss this with the in-laws prior to Easter dinner because my MIL had mentioned that she was making sweet potato for him. Unfortunately she forgot, but we made due with taking as much sugar off the sweet potato as we could and giving him the center portion. The "feeding area" wasn't optimum for self-feeding messes and so when he got frustrated, I told DH that he was done because when we are at home, throwing spoons and whining typically means he's finished. Grandma chose to take him then though...I thought to let us finish our meal, but I noticed out of the corner of my eye that she was feeding him cut up chunks of mac and cheese. He's just turned 6 months and has only been on solids for a couple weeks. Mac and cheese is NOT a first food IMO. Then, she thought it was cute when he grabbed the ham off her plate and continually kept sucking on it. It is true, he certainly seemed to like them both, but I don't feel that either were age appropriate. And I'm sure there is more of this to come in the future. How have you dealt with similar situations and explained your choices for feeding?
If this is more of a seperate post topic and not really for the self-feeding/BLW thread just let me know. Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM

I haven't read a ton of this thread, and 6 months certainly does seem a little young for mac and cheese, but the way we did self-feeding starting around 7 or 8 months was to let ds eat off our own plates. We cook all our own food from scratch using fresh, local, and organic ingredients, no sugar or refined flours, but other than that he's always gotten what he wants and loves it that way.

Other moms might be able to help more with exactly when it is appropriate to start such a laissez faire approach, and I should also add that our ds never did and never has had any trouble with food allergies.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 PM

DD is nearly 11 months old and we are just starting to get more laid back with what foods we introduce and that's more that I am more laid back about introducing complex foods at once. And giving bites of what we are having - however this is only for foods that we have prepared - I still don't let her eat anything that I don't know how it was prepared, the ingrediants etc.

As far as family goes - they were told that she was to be given no food without our permission and they have been told/ reminded on many occasions. Mostly we are trying to limit the amount of salt, sugar, perservatives and unnatural ingrediants as possible.

It take time - and many repeated no's, and often looks of shock, my in-laws especially don't get BLW and the restrictions we have - they tried giving DD an animal cookie at 6 months, right after we said no wheat, no sugar etc.

So we just tend to be super vigilant when out and we try to nicely remind everyone of our food rules - so far it seems to work with persistance.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM

I have a constipation question! My 6 1/2 month old DS tried solids for the very first time over the weekend. We gave him chunks of ripe banana and let him go to town. He mostly just played with it. He probably ended up consuming less than a tablespoon of it total, mostly by getting bits stuck to his hands and then putting his hands in his mouth. The next morning he was HORRIBLY constipated, to the point of crying harder than I've ever heard him cry. He usually poops 3 times a morning. That day, he couldn't poop at all in the morning and cried all morning instead. He finally pooped in the afternoon and has been okay since. I know banana is a constipating food, but is it normal for less than a tablespoon to cause such painful constipation? Does this mean that he's not ready for solids at all or should we just try a different food? I'm not really in any hurry, but he shows all the signs of readiness and grabs at the food on our plates.

User Tag List