self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread... - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are so not following the "one food for x days" guideline in this house.
We've both been tested for allergies and so we're avoiding dairy, soy, wheat, corn, and sugar.... as best we can
She's had a variety of veggies - today was the first time I actually cooked something specifically for her (I baked a yam). I split it up and put it on her tray and gave her a spoon which I had covered in yam... I swear, watching her eat it the most AMUSING thing ever.

We tried avocado and peas yesterday.

To the PP who said their baby looks like they've eaten poo when trying something new - same here!!!!!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM

Out of curiosity~

Since most of us are sort of "skimming" over the allergen and one food for so many days rules has anyone giving strawberries prior to the official suggestion?

I love, love, LOVE strawberries and being out here in California strawberry season is already here. Every time my DD sees me eating one she begs for it! We don't really have any food allergies in my family at all (minus me and mushrooms) and I haven't held off on anything else but peanuts and eggs(mostly because I can't stand eggs!) so I wanted to know what the thoughts were on strawberries??

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
acp

I gave DD strawberries for the first time when she was about 8 1/2 months old. She loved them. Haven't given them since, but just because they're not in season. Once our farmers market opens, I expect to. I've also given her blueberries. The only foods I've held off on so far have been shellfish and peanuts, but we don't have any allergies in our families and she's never shown any signs of sensitivities.
I know even a few of my very mainstream friends, who followed a lot of the allergen suggestions, gave strawberries to their 9- or 10-month olds, once they were in season.
Like everything else, I think it's just a personal decision.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is 7 months and he had his first strawberry last week. He loved it. The only things we are avoiding are dairy and peanuts. And meat for a couple more months.

Once again....I had no idea there was a restriction on strawberries :
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Well, I think I will just give in then.

My mom told me a story about my babyhood that I love...

Her and my dad used to live on a little house in the middle of this ranch/farm in Oregon. There was a HUGE strawberry patch somewhere on the property and one day my mom decided she wanted to make strawberry jam and strawberry rhubarb pie, so she took a big blanket for me to sit on while she was picking. I guess she had her back turned for several minutes and when she turned back, I had crawled over to the strawberries and was eating them as evidenced by the amount of dirt, red juice and green leaves all over my face, neck and shirt. I was only seven months at the time. No strawberry allergies for me!

So, I figure, my DD should be JUST fine!

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 PM

I don't think Naked Baby has had strawberries yet, just because they haven't been in season. He's been woefully deprived of all fresh berries, actually! But no, I personally wouldn't avoid it. He's had peanuts now, too, at just over a year, although he probably had traces before then.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 PM

One of my MsIL has a strawberry allergy that developed when she was an adult... but we're not really avoiding fresh fruits/berries for dd2. But we do try to eat locally and in season so it's going to be a while before she gets to try those berries!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 AM

just wanted to share. we were at a (neapolitan) pizza place tonight and i had basically crust with a caprese salad on it. my 8 month old LOVED the cubes of fresh mozzarella cheese with just a touch of olive oil. he even like it with a little of the basil. i would've let him try tomatoes, but i'm holding out a bit for those since he has a somewhat sensitive tummy. would've let him have at the crust, too, but it was awfully salty, which i'm trying to avoid a lot of yet.

i'll have to get some fresh mozz for home. great alternative to shredded cheese. he can actually pick this up and eat it himself.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 AM

We're avoiding major allergens, but DS has showed signs of allergies before, mostly to dairy and soy. (Bum rash, green poo, etc.) I'm still not good about waiting between foods, though I probably should. The only thing tha has irritated him so far were pears and apples, so we haven't gone back to those.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:38 PM

So, I spent the last week trying to explain to MIL the philosophy behind self feeding and how I wanted to go about making foods available, one new food each saturday morning, along with the ones he has already had, and let him choose and self feed.

Last night she comes over with a bunch of jars of organic baby food from Whole Foods, and some pages she printed off the internet from Gerber's website about how essential it is to feed him baby food so he will have enough iron and b6.

:

When DH came home, a little while later, MIL was playing with DS in the living room and I was in the kitchen. He came into the kitchen and I showed him what his mother brought. He looked at the ingredients. He hrmmmm-ed. He asked if I would object to his mother feeding them to the baby in parallel to my method of food introduction. I said yes. He asked me what I wanted him to do, exactly. I said I would put them away somewhere, ignore the matter until it comes up again, and then I just wanted him to support me.

Well, MIL brought it up pretty soon after. She handed him the printouts. He made some comments about what a great technique for ensuring sales by convincing people that your product is necessary. They argued a bit back and forth in Russian. I don't really know what happened.

I introduced pears to him this morning. He had apples starting last week, but MIL kinda interfered. She was certain he would NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS know to put something in his mouth unless we forced it in there to show him that it tastes good. She had put the apple slices in his hand, and then held his hand so that the end was in his mouth. <sigh> At least she had understood that I wanted him to hold it himself, if she comprehended nothing else i had explained. So, anyway, the pears. The slices were so slippery, that he had a hard time picking them up. It was clear he wanted to. We helped him out a little sometimes, because he was getting angry, but some of the time he successfully picked them up himself. And as soon as he did, he stuck them right into his mouth. He made a horrible face. I guess he was expecting apple.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 PM

OK.

What happened to Gil Rapley's BLW Guidelines on Borstvoeding.com ????

I reference them ALL the time when people want information about self feeding solids. And I just received a PM from another forum I belong to about them not working?

Is there anywhere else that the guidelines can be found? I usually keep a link in my siggy for others to read...

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've only lurked on this thread since I can't breast feed P. But she's a graduate of baby-led feeding. I stopped using purees a few weeks after she moved in with me. She's now 13 months old and a master self-feeder. We started with banana, apple, and most cooked veggies. She also loves soft banana or avocado spread on bread. The bread makes it easier for her to eat the slippery-er foods. Her favorites are all kinds of beans, steamed veggies- searches out the green ones first, and raw bell peppers (red, orange, and yellow. She LOVES broccoli florets. It does freak people out to see such a tiny girl (only 18 pounds) with sticks of cheese, chunks of chicken, and broccoli florets but she does so well that they are usually converted.

Last night's dinner was taco salad with ground beef, cheese, mild salsa, steamed veggies and romaine lettuce. She adored it.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 PM

we gave my ds some steamed sweet potato "fries" last night. he had so much fun. there are pics in my siggy

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 PM

how long did it take for some of your babies to start eating 'regularly'?ive been giving my baby the opportunity to eat solids once or twice a day, but he doesnt seem very interested except in treating it the same as he would any toy!and loses interest quickly. the only thing he got into and actually ate properly was a pear.

have tried banana (hes not that keen - tho he likes the peel!), pear, avocado (no go) and carrot (also no go) . plan to try little rice cakes next and some parsnip.

ive been trying for a couple of weeks now...just wondered if maybe i should leave it for a while then try again, cos he doesnt seem bothered.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
acp

Devaya, if he's not interested, I might just leave it for a little bit.
With DD, we started occasionally (not every day) offering her bits of things a little before 6 months. She played with it, tasted it, gummed it, occasionally swallowed a bit, but I think it was over a month of that before she really started ingesting it in significant quantities (maybe around 7 months). FWIW, she wasn't interested in broccoli or avocado, and we had the most success with banana (in bigger pieces to begin with, smaller when she mastered the pincer grasp), sweet potato "fries", butternut squash, steamed carrots, guacamole, and hummus (roasted red pepper is her favorite...).

Now that I think about it, it was right when she mastered the pincer grasp that her interest in solids really took off, and she loved having tiny pieces of things - like peas - to pick up and put in her mouth.

But I think all babes are pretty different when it comes to solids too....
Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Baby led feeding is so much fun. Seriously.

She is so ~happy~ when she's got the biggest hunk of banana in her hand, tho I keep making the mistake of letting her eat when she's in her super cute wool shorties.

She's a gourmet! Last night I made potato leek soup for dinner and she loved it! Does that count even tho it's a puree and I had to feed it to her off a spoon?

Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 PM

About 2.5 weeks ago, we started handing apple slices to DS. I wanted to demonstrate eating them, and wait for him to do it himself even if it took weeks, but MIL, who strongly believes that a baby will never feed himself and must be forced, held his arm so that the slice was in his mouth. He seemed to find it interesting, and teethed on it. I kept giving him slices over the course of the next 10 days. For the first few days, he continued to teeth on them. Then he stopped wanting them at all. If I offer to hold it to his mouth for him (he still fumbles with them, and I thought maybe he was just to frustrated but really wanted them) he turns his head away like he is trying to escape it.

So, a week ago I started making pear slices available. They were much slipperier than apple. I ended up helping him get them into his hand a bit more than I did with the apple. He tasted them a few times. He seemed surprised at first when it didn't taste like apple. Then, like with the apple, he lost interest.

(By that time I realized he was developing a rash on his butt, that was probably from the pear. I stopped offering them, and the rash is now almost gone).

Now, if I sit him in the high chair with some apple slices, he just seems bored. He doesn't want them. He is much happier if I give him toys instead. And he is even happier to be put on the floor where he can practice his new skills in moving himself around.

So, I haven't bothered for the last few days to give him any apple slices. I am going to wait a while before re-offering pear. The next thing I want to offer is steamed carrot sticks, but not until the rash is gone, so probably next Saturday. I'm kinda making Saturday morning the time for adding a new food to the pile I put on his tray.

MIL is chomping at the bit to feed him more often, and get this MOVING. I'm not in a hurry. It was clearly starting to stress him.

I just told her that he is having a lot of bad teething the last few days and doesn't respond well to anything being put in his mouth for now. (Truth is, he is even holding off a long time on nursing because, it seems, he is uncomfortable putting ANYTHING in his mouth. So it wasn't a lie at the time, but it will be a lie if I continue to use that story to pacify MIL long past the teething trouble time.)

Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey mamas! I was thinking, I'd love to make a sticky of links that addresses baby-led solids. Could you either post any great info you have to the thread or PM me? Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM

I thought this was a very good comprehensive article. It explains the safety and the philosophical concepts, along with some how-to.

There was a link to it earlier in the thread, that I bookmarked, but when I went to it last week to show MIL I found it had been moved and I had to look for it. The link above is its current location.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
acp

Annette:
Here's a good MSNBC article(a nice "mainstream" source OKing baby-led solids): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/
And here's a great BLW blog, with tons of info, message boards, etc:
http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/

And, just looking at that last blog, it sounds like it's mostly moved to this forum, which I haven't checked out yet, but looks great:
http://www.babyledweaning.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 PM

my mom asked me if I could, just please, feed baby food off a spoon so she could eat like a "real baby"?

seriously.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 AM

My DH has it in his head that id we feed DS baby cereal he will sleep through the night! So, tonigiht I reluctantlt agreed to let him feed DS some jarred baby food (left over from DD, still not expired!) and he fed him while I was giving DD bath. Well, turns out DS ate half a jar! DH insisted DS opened mouth willingly and cried when he tried to stop feeding him. Does this mean I have been starving my son? Does DS WANT to eat purees? Ugh, i am so confused and starting to doubt myself
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 AM

this thread is fantastic and exactly as what I am looking for. I will be reading it more thoroughly to prepare my lo for solid when she is ready.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnybee View Post
My DH has it in his head that id we feed DS baby cereal he will sleep through the night! So, tonigiht I reluctantlt agreed to let him feed DS some jarred baby food (left over from DD, still not expired!) and he fed him while I was giving DD bath. Well, turns out DS ate half a jar! DH insisted DS opened mouth willingly and cried when he tried to stop feeding him. Does this mean I have been starving my son? Does DS WANT to eat purees? Ugh, i am so confused and starting to doubt myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
my mom asked me if I could, just please, feed baby food off a spoon so she could eat like a "real baby"?
Well, we let DS self feed purees sometiems. And he does enjoy them. I put food on the spoon and hand it to him. Generally he puts it in his mouth. Sometimes he uses it like a pencil to create art on his high chair chair. Last night he figured out that if he put the spoon down I would put more food on it. He ate a 1/4 jar of carrots.

(I know no one NEEDS purees, but we didn't have anything baby-appropriate to eat, and I am being careful about allergies as he has some. Jars are my back-up food.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Last night he figured out that if he put the spoon down I would put more food on it. He ate a 1/4 jar of carrots.
Oh I have no problem with the idea of feeding her puree (it was a potato leek soup I made for my own dinner and discovered she really liked it), and most of the time the sweet potatoes I (over) bake for her are like a puree..... it just frustrates me that my mom thinks she's not really eating unless "you shovel the goo they spit out back in their mouth with the spoon - it's so cute!"

Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
Oh I have no problem with the idea of feeding her puree (it was a potato leek soup I made for my own dinner and discovered she really liked it), and most of the time the sweet potatoes I (over) bake for her are like a puree..... it just frustrates me that my mom thinks she's not really eating unless "you shovel the goo they spit out back in their mouth with the spoon - it's so cute!"

I'm with you there... although no one dares talk to me about anything.. I was so fierce when I was pregnant, apparently it's not even worth asking me about.

My parents were happier when I let them give him sips of water out of their glasses, if that will help. (Though it sounds like your mom is stuck in one way of thinking... which is frustrating, as you say. GL with that! )

Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM
luv

When and how did you introdce meat? I'm still not sure of myself as I've read a few conflicting things.

TKS.
-luv
Old 04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
acp

Luv, We introduced meat around 8 months, I think. The first time I wasn't really thinking about it, but I was traveling with her and eating a turkey and cheese sandwich I'd made myself in the airport gate area, and she kept reaching for it. I gave her some and she loved it. Since then she's had bits of chicken, hamburger, meatballs, turkey, and braised short ribs. Since DD only just got her first tooth a week ago (and it's still barely poking through) I do either give her just small bits of stuff or else pretty soft meat - meatballs or chicken that's been cooked in the slow cooker, etc (one of her favorites was a chicken and bean chili in the slow cooker - she LOVED it).
Old 04-10-2008, 01:28 PM

I can't remember how old DD was when we first introduced meat - maybe around the 8 month mark.

Nut mostly it's been small peices from stews, chili, we have a slow cooker recipe that results in shredded chicken, and she has had all natural roastbeef and turkey lunchmeats shredded.

about a month ago DH and I were having steaks for dinner, DD had already finished her dinner but was sitting with us and kept asking for some of the steak, so I cut her a strip of it and she gnawed away at it, the piece was big enough that she could hold onto to and bite at it, but not shove the whole thing in her mouth and choke - she loved that, she wouldn't give it up until it was destroyed.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Hi all! I'm happy to find this thread! We are blw with our 6 1/2 month old dd. It's nice to have somewhere to go for support

I am heading out for groceries today and I'm lost as to what to get for dd. I was thinking sweet potatoes, bananas, apples. I've read a lot about blw but I'm still not sure where to start - can I get some ideas for first foods? Do you just feed your dc whatever is on your plate? dd is still ebf so I have mixed feelings about giving her solids (she is growing up way too fast for me ). I still have to go back and read through the early posts - off to do that now!

Lisa

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!

User Tag List