self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread... - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 581 Old 04-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding rashes: I think that's what happened to my DD, she got a huge drool rash on her upper chest - right where her chin hits her chest. I don't remember what she was eating when it happened, tho

I think it was Arwen who mentioned her baby liked Matzah, so does my girl! Good thing, too, since it's Passover right now.

Here are some pics

First taste
Best when experienced with the whole body
banana day

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#482 of 581 Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM

One of the cats observed the event. She looked puzzled. I imagine her thinking "I had thought he was a human, but maybe he is a cat after all."

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#483 of 581 Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Hvent been on this thread for a while, its great to see what all the babies have been up to! and great pics!

DS is now eating miniature (baby) apple-flavoured organic rice cakes (well, eating equals mostly sucking and playing with it, but 'chewing' (no teeth yet) n swallowing the odd bit!), dried organic mango (this is a popular one!), and as of this morning, tahini! He was grabbing for my rice cakes with tahini so i tried a bit with him. The tahini moustache was something to see ! he seemed to enjoy it.

i keep meaning to do more cooked veg, but just have been so busy and by the time we cook dinner he is in bed. he is showing more interest now - a couple weeks ago i posted that he wasnt, so i held off for a little bit.
#484 of 581 Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

People are looking for this thread. Since I bumped it, I will give an update.

DS is loving food. He is really into watermelon right now. I think it's because the cool rind feels good on his teething gums. He only has one tooth so the others must be getting ready to poke up. He is also very into corn on the cob. We cook it on the grill and he gums it forever.

Here are some pics

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h/STP81050.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h/STP81032.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h/STP80994.jpg
#485 of 581 Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM

This is so much fun! My girl has eaten or experimented with watermelon, sweet potato, broccoli, zuch/squash, pear, apple.

My question is...
when the food is slippery and I am soooo tempted to help her get to it. Am I defeating the purpose of her learning process. Possibly pushing her before she is developmentally ready?

tia

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#486 of 581 Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
This is so much fun! My girl has eaten or experimented with watermelon, sweet potato, broccoli, zuch/squash, pear, apple.

My question is...
when the food is slippery and I am soooo tempted to help her get to it. Am I defeating the purpose of her learning process. Possibly pushing her before she is developmentally ready?

tia
This is my question. Ds wants the food. When he gets it he loves it. Sometimes its just too slippery. And he gets frustrated, but if i help him out, he's happy. Is that so wrong?
#487 of 581 Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM

my son has now had food twice. the first time yam and he managed to probably eat some and then we waited over a week because i felt he wasn't really ready and last night he had some carrots. he managed to get some in his mouth and then he spit it out after a while. i am worried about allergies so not letting him share whats on my plate. i really like doing this baby led. he wants to play with food and eat when he see's me and dp eating and emotionally he is totally ready to stick his hands in the food and he shows all the signs of being physically ready but i'm not so sure he is and that he isn't actually eating sorta of tells me i am right about that.

does anyone feel sad about starting solids? part of me was cheering inside that he didn't actually eat any carrot. i love breast feeding and i love providing nourishment for him and i know that right now food is for playing and experimenting but i feel sad about it as a sign that he is growing up. i dunno it is also fun and exciting i don't just feel sad.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#488 of 581 Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM

I've read bits & pieces of this thread and am very interested. DD hasn't started solids yet other than when I let her lick an apple and suck avocado off my finger one day. What foods do you start with? With my first dd I mainly followed what was in Dr Sears book. She never had thin purees, just kind of thick ones from 6-8mths and then food after that. I'm just not sure how to get started.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#489 of 581 Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
does anyone feel sad about starting solids? part of me was cheering inside that he didn't actually eat any carrot. i love breast feeding and i love providing nourishment for him and i know that right now food is for playing and experimenting but i feel sad about it as a sign that he is growing up. i dunno it is also fun and exciting i don't just feel sad.

Yeah it didn’t hit me until a LLL meeting last month where the topic was introducing solids. They started by saying as soon as your baby wants solids and starts eating solids, you are in the weaning process. I got all teary and in my head was thinking “no way!!! Not my baby! We are not weaning” lol it was so silly. They went on to have a very great discussion about how you start the weaning process at 6 months but it can last for 2 or 3 more years. It’s all child driven. So yeah, I was sad at first but now we are having so much fun with food and I know he loves the milk more then food so I still feel good.

About the slippery food. I will put the food in DS’s hand if it’s really slippery and he keeps dropping it. He has a pretty good grip though and doesn’t need much help. I never actually put food into DS’s mouth though.
#490 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 05:07 AM

Hi, mamas! My DS is over 7mo and hasn't had any solids yet at all. I've been waiting as he's been spitting up more and has had some unusual stool patterns lately, so I'm trying to figure out if he's got a sensitivity to something or if we just haven't been seeing the chiro enough.

But, there are days (like today!) when it seems perfectly natural to hand him a bit of what we're eating, even though he's not had anything before. He's hit all of the "readiness" milestones of sitting, crawling, has two teeth, etc. He's been grabbing for plates and food for a while, too! (But I didn't think that red beans and rice should be his first meal, despite his having a handful of it! )

A question - on the 1st page of this thread, there was a link to a European breastfeeding site that no longer works. Is there an updated link available?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#491 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
My question is...
I have helped DD pick up slippery foods, especially when they seem stuck to the plate or tray and all she is managing is to push it around. But I ussually just help her get it to her hand. She needs alot less help now, she has grown so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
It was a struggle to start solids for me and I think I actually cried a few times. I have a very enthusiastic eater and I really limited her food intake at first because I wasn't really ready, which probably isn't the right thing to do, but I didn't realize I was holding back until a few months later. I never refused her food, but I gave her really tiny amounts, probably less than she was willing/ wanting to eat. She would nurse before hand and after too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
A question - on the 1st page of this thread, there was a link to a European breastfeeding site that no longer works. Is there an updated link available?
Yup here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I thought this was a very good comprehensive article. It explains the safety and the philosophical concepts, along with some how-to.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
#492 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 AM

nak

thanks to those who answered the slippery food question

how do you intro fooods that require a spoon?

like oatmeal

do you wait until until they can do it or put it on tray for play?

#493 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
nak

like oatmeal

We put it on the spoon and then hand him the spoon. Mostly, it goes in his mouth from there. He really likes having a spoon.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#494 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
nak

like oatmeal

We skipped the spoon with things like applesauce and put a small pile on DD's tray. She picks it up with her fingers and self-feeds. A bit messy, but she has no clue what a spoon is for and if we handed her a spoon with food on it the spoon (and food) would likely end up on the floor.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#495 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
We put it on the spoon and then hand him the spoon. Mostly, it goes in his mouth from there. He really likes having a spoon.
Us too, DD loves having 2-3 spoons going, she hates giving one up unless she knows she will get one immediatly in return.

Some times she just likes to wave them around too

Now DD takes the spoons and makes attempts at scooping out of the bowl she is pretty succesfull withthe right consistency. We got her a suction bowl to help this endever.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
#496 of 581 Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM

They make suction bowls? That's waaay cool.
Thanks for the tips.
Having more than one spoon is brillant

Can you tell I'm kinda clueless?

#497 of 581 Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubelle View Post
Yup here it is

Thanks for the link! Very helpful! I've been discussing it with my DH this evening and love the concepts. So glad to have stumbled upon this!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#498 of 581 Old 05-11-2008, 03:12 AM

DD gobbled up a bunch of TJ's Spicy Hummus tonight. She loooooved it and was upset when it was all gone! :

The best part? She had a hummus beard... I wish I had my camera with me at the time!

#499 of 581 Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
P was sick for her first birthday and didn't want to eat much. Her big brother and I were eating the four-flavored tub of hummus and mini pitas. P pulled the tub over to her and dove into it. Her favorite was the spicy one. I've got some great pictures. Red eyes, drippy nose and a face full of hummus.
#500 of 581 Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 PM

adrian had hummus for the first time this weekend too. trader joe's garlic lovers. on their mini whole wheat pitas.
#501 of 581 Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 PM

mmm hummus

when did you all start wheat products?

is it one year?

#502 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
mmm hummus

when did you all start wheat products?

is it one year?
I think DD tried wheat products around 8 months. We don't have a history of wheat allergies, so I haven't worried about it. That being said, she really only gets teeny tiny bits of bread here and there.

#503 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 AM

Giving bread kind of scares me.

It doesn't mush up like sw. pot. or watermelon.

what kind of bread product did you give first?

#504 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 AM

Huge hunk of organic french bread (he loved the heels) - they just gnaw and gnaw on it, it gets gradually softer, they maybe consume a little of it, but it seems to feel great on teething gums!
#505 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Huge hunk of organic french bread (he loved the heels) - they just gnaw and gnaw on it, it gets gradually softer, they maybe consume a little of it, but it seems to feel great on teething gums!
We've also given DD bits of French bread. Unfortunately, I've never been able to give her big hunks of anything. Even when she didn't have teeth, she'd bite off huge pieces and either gag on them or get them stuck in her palette.

So, we've always given her tiny pieces that she can pick up with her fingers. So... maybe she didn't really get bread until she was about 9 MO (I said 8 MO before) since that's when her pincer grasp developed.

#506 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
We've also given DD bits of French bread. Unfortunately, I've never been able to give her big hunks of anything. Even when she didn't have teeth, she'd bite off huge pieces and either gag on them or get them stuck in her palette.
So, we've always given her tiny pieces that she can pick up with her fingers. So... maybe she didn't really get bread until she was about 9 MO (I said 8 MO before) since that's when her pincer grasp developed.
The bold part...that's what I am afraid of regarding bread. Arwyn, how old was your babe?

#507 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM

adrian's had a bit of wheat here and there. a bite of my scone or grilled cheese. at 9 months i've started giving him a bit more. like the hummus on pitas. i'll still give him gluten (& egg) free things if i can find them. like frozen pancakes and waffles, etc.
#508 of 581 Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 PM

Hi, I've been lurking here for a week or so, reading with interest because our DD, Neva, is 5 months old and has been showing a real interest in food. She has shown all the signs of readiness including sitting up on her own. We tried to hold her off until she was 6 months. We gave her a bowl and spoon to play with, sat her in her chair etc etc.

Then, the other day I was eating a banana and she lunged at it, managed to get chunk on her hand and took it straight to her mouth...and swallowed!

So, yesterday I figured I would give her some food to play with. I mashed up ( roughly mashed) a bit of avocado and put in on a tray with a spoon. She tried eating with her hands, swallowing little bits just fine, then she figured out the spoon and put the spoon end into her mouth ( I had loaded a little bit on the spoon). She couldn't get enough after that and kept trying to get the mush on the spoon. She actually ate ( swallowed) quite a lot, and really had a blast ( so did we).

DH and I totally agree with CLW - it fits our philosophy. Shovelling spoonfuls of food into a baby's mouth never seemed right to me so I am so glad I found this thread!. However I was too nervous to give her whole, non-mushed avocado because she is only 5 months. But, it went so well, again today that I think I might try some bigger pieces of banana tomorrow. DH's family have a history of allergies so I have to intro one food at a time and thought of spacing a new food a couple of days apart.

I'm so glad I found this thread. Especially because I felt a little wave of sadness when I saw Neva eating. When I read others had felt the same, I felt much better.

I'm sticking around as I learn and experience more!:

#509 of 581 Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
The bold part...that's what I am afraid of regarding bread. Arwyn, how old was your babe?
I'm trying to remember... Naked Baby started eating around 7.5 months (didn't really swallow anything then). At Thanksgiving (around 8.5 months?) he gnawed on a turkey thigh that had a little meat on it. At one point he got a chunk off, and gagged it back out. It was a little nerve wracking, but I just watched him, and learned that if he doesn't want something in his mouth, he can get it back out just fine thank you! His first french bread heel was, oh, maybe a month later, probably less. We delayed wheat a little just because I don't think gluten is particularly good for us, but we eat so much I wasn't going to deny him it entirely for long. But it was a little stale, and whole, and he wasn't ABLE to get a big chunk off, just gnaw little bits.

There was a short time when between when he was able to bite big chunks off apple slices and when I trusted him to only do that if he meant to, maybe a month, when we didn't give him apple slices, but that was about it for food restrictions due to choking fears.

But every child is different. I do believe that, in general, babies who are offered whole foods from the beginning (not spoonfed mashes or only offered tiny chunks for months first) handle it better, but, again, every child is different. And, every parent is different in what they're OK watching. I was "ok" (again, scared, but able to sit and watch calmly) with Naked Baby gagging on a really big chunk of turkey, and other people might not be, and that's ok. I do think gagging is a good skill to learn, but not at the cost of parental heart attacks, y'know? So everyone has to figure out what they're comfortable with, not just do something because someone else thinks it's a good idea.
#510 of 581 Old 05-15-2008, 12:29 AM

Thanks Arwyn. My dd isn't even seven months yet so I guess i'll wait a bit.

Way to go...reminding me to do my kegals. I hate kegals!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page