#541 of 581 Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Wake up around 7ish.
Nurse while still sleepy and in bed.
Play for a little while while mama does previous day's dishes and prepares breakfast.
Around 8, sit in high chair and eat solids while mama eats her breakfast.
Play some more while mama does housework or plays with me.
Around 9:30, nurse some more.
Play a little while more, then cuddle with mama until nap at around 10.
Wake up at almost noon and nurse some more.
Play.
Around 12:30, solids again while mama eats lunch.
More play.
Then solids again at around 2:30 while mama has a snack.
Nurse again around 3.
Cuddle with mama and have a nap at around 3:30.
Wake up around 5 and nurse again.
Solids at around 6 while mama eats dinner.
Play until papa comes home around 6:30-7.
Mama takes me walking outside to keep me calm during my fussy time until shortly before 8.
Nurse again and then go to sleep at 8ish.

Some nights, nurse twice. Some nights nurse every hour.

Roughly, 4 solid feedings during the course of the day. Not much ingested. Nursing half-hour before and again after a 1.5-hour nap. Naps about 3 to 3.5 hours apart. So, nursings alternate being 2 hours apart, or 3 hours apart.

This is the schedule he has naturally fallen into the past week or so. I never count on them to stay the same very long.
what solids do you offer during these times? is he interested in them? sounds like we have a very similar routine. my lo wakes up bewteen 7:30-8am and goes to bed around 9 pm. i also take him to work with me for two hours starting at 12pm - there's no place to really *feed* him there (except nursing which we do around 12:30pm) although i do give him bites off my apple if i have one or sometimes a bagel/mini baguette to gnaw on. (oh and to the last two sentences of your post. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 581 Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 PM

It depends on what I am eating myself.

For breakfast, if I am eating something I don't really want to give him (egg, or something heavily dairy, or a peanut butter sandwich) I will often blanch him some veggies and give him some fruit too. I keep the wings when I make a whole chicken, usually once per week, and break them into joints. I will usually add a joint of chicken wing to the tray. If I am eating something good to share, I give him what I am eating.

For lunch, usually some of my lunch, and whatever is still around from breakfast.

Snack is whatever is leftover from lunch and breakfast.

Dinner is whatever I am having plus the leftovers from the other meals.

----

Carrot sticks and broccoli trees kept in a baggie in the fridge blanch pretty quickly. Also, I wash, then freeze, packages of blueberries, and then take out a few each day and rinse them in boiling water from the tea kettle for about 30 seconds. And he also loves when I take the heel of the bread and cut it into strips for him. (I haven't held back on wheat because he started reaching for bread and pasta and pancakes and stuff, and seems to love them, and hasn't had any bad reactions.)

He loves meat most of all. Chicken, lamb, beef. He is so happy to have bits of meat from my lunch and dinner. (Usually I cook double for dinner and reheat the next day.)

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#543 of 581 Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to the thread! My LO is almost six months, and I'm contemplating starting solids soon with BLW.

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed (I'm only a few pages into the thread so far), but does anyone have any info/experience on a latex allergy/avocado connection? We have a family history of probable latex allergy manifested by eczema exacerbation, and my LO unfortunately has eczema. I had assumed avocado would be her first food, but I am hesitant now.

TIA!
i didn't know avocado was connected to latex. but i read banana was. and my DS reacts HORRIBLY to banana. not eczema or a rash, but his stomach. and my husband has a latex allergy. avocado doesn't seem to bother him.
#544 of 581 Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecindy View Post
i didn't know avocado was connected to latex. but i read banana was. and my DS reacts HORRIBLY to banana. not eczema or a rash, but his stomach. and my husband has a latex allergy. avocado doesn't seem to bother him.
Interesting. I think I'll start with something other than the latex allergen foods and then very cautiously try one and see what happens. My LO hasn't clearly demonstrated latex allergy but hasn't had much exposure to it yet to really be sure. Her eczema could be related to any number of things. And we're not quite ready to start solids yet anyway.

FWIW, here is a quote from the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology on the subject:

"Latex allergic people also can have food allergies. The foods causing this problem include: apple, almonds, avocado, banana, carrot, celery, chestnut, hazelnut, kiwi, melons, papaya, pear, raw potato, stone fruits (such as peach, plum and cherry) and tomato."

Lots of good stuff on that list. Hopefully we won't have to avoid it all.

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#545 of 581 Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post
"Latex allergic people also can have food allergies. The foods causing this problem include: apple, almonds, avocado, banana, carrot, celery, chestnut, hazelnut, kiwi, melons, papaya, pear, raw potato, stone fruits (such as peach, plum and cherry) and tomato."

Lots of good stuff on that list. Hopefully we won't have to avoid it all.
my husband eats many of those, but i'll have to ask if he has any reactions. none that i know of.

interesting, though, my DS reacted pretty badly stomach-wise to papaya too.
#546 of 581 Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM

Has anyone here ever had the baby suck the food to the back of their throat? My DD seems totally ready for solids in every way, but when I tried with large wedges of avocado she picked them up and put them to her mouth sucked on them and it went straight to the back of her throat, she gagged. Fine, but then a piece came off and again she sucked it to the back of her throat (like sucked the piece off). I tried food on a spoon and she sucked it off the spoon. If for some reason she doesn't suck it she will chew and then swallow but the majority of the time she wants to suck on it and since we've had an incident with that twice I'm not really too keen on continuing it. She is crazy over food though and has met all the milestones for starting and will be 6mo in 2 days so I'd like to start giving her more foods but not sure how to do it safely with a baby that sucks on EVERYTHING!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#547 of 581 Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 AM

could you give her like a whole apple or something where she probably can only get a really tiny peice off anf only if she works really hard at it? my son seems to chew best when i give him a whole peice of fruit. i think having to work at getting small peices off with his mouth helps him chew.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#548 of 581 Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM

My son has an apple sensitivity so I don't want to do apples yet but I could do a pear. I've thought of that but just figured it was too much for her to handle. Thanks. s

#549 of 581 Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 AM

We started giving our son pear right at the 7 month mark with good success. If they can't hold it for size or weight, you can cut it in half or cut some off the sides and it works the same.

Cucumbers are another thing that might work well, you can gum them but sucking doesn't really get much off. We used to cut them into long strips. If you have a crinkle cutter that works even better because the ridges make it easier to hold on to once it gets slobbery.

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
#550 of 581 Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM

hey all. my ds is almost 8 months and we've just started solids and baby-led solids. so far, he's only tried bananas with really no success. he gags and makes faces and sometimes spits it out. how do you all feel about introducing new foods? neither myself, dh nor dd have any allergies, but ds did have a sensitivity to dairy in my diet, which he seems to have outgrown, as i can eat it now w/o a problem. i'm just really confused bc i made all of dd's purees 3 years ago so i'm kinda stuck in that mindset, but i'd really like to do baby-led solids just for ease of prep and transition to "real" food.
oh, and he has no teeth, but is crawling and sitting up.
and how big am i cutting the foods, cooking, etc.? i need a primer. any books anyone can recommend? i'm really at a loss.

thanks.

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#551 of 581 Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post
hey all. my ds is almost 8 months and we've just started solids and baby-led solids. so far, he's only tried bananas with really no success. he gags and makes faces and sometimes spits it out. how do you all feel about introducing new foods? neither myself, dh nor dd have any allergies, but ds did have a sensitivity to dairy in my diet, which he seems to have outgrown, as i can eat it now w/o a problem. i'm just really confused bc i made all of dd's purees 3 years ago so i'm kinda stuck in that mindset, but i'd really like to do baby-led solids just for ease of prep and transition to "real" food.
oh, and he has no teeth, but is crawling and sitting up.
and how big am i cutting the foods, cooking, etc.? i need a primer. any books anyone can recommend? i'm really at a loss.

thanks.
i have found this site to be VERY helpful with food ideas/recipes. there is a whole section for "finger foods"
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
#552 of 581 Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM

Hey I can't remember the last time I posted an update here so I will now...

Cash is at nearly 10 months now eating tiny bits of solids almost every day. Like probably no more than a teaspoon or two of tooth scrapings and sucking the juice out of fruit but I'm just glad he's interested! This is a huge leap from eating absolutely no solid food a few weeks ago. I have to admit I was starting to doubt BLW a little when I went to a new ped (which I won't be going back to) that kind of freaked out on me because he wasn't eating three meals a day. She even hinted he would never learn to talk or eat if I didn't push it So ANYWAY I ignored her and he is starting to become much more interested on his own. We're holding off on quite a few things because of family history of food intolerances/allergies but he eats millet bread, melon, cherries, green beans, pluots, and any other fruits or vegetables that don't have butter on them from my plate and today I offered him a tiny mozzarella ball but he refused it (which is funny because I'm nervous about giving him yogurt or cheese anyway so I'll just hold off for now). Just wanted to give a little hope to all of those nervous first-time BLW'ers who wonder if their kid will EVER want to eat solid food... mine finally did!
#553 of 581 Old 06-22-2008, 03:51 PM

#554 of 581 Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Hello Mamas! It took me a while to read the entire thread but lots of good info... my DS is 6 mos and we've tried a few different foods but I've got some questions...

How much food do you give the LO?... When we did avocado, we ended up giving him the entire thing eventually because pieces kept dropping to the floor.... do you guys help them keep it on the table?... or help them hold it at first and put a little bit in their mouths... (although everything ends up in there eventually.... LOL) Is there a video of a baby actually doing BLW?... curious....

I kind of wavered on BLW because DS bit off a "chokeable" (word?) of asian pear yesterday, and I freaked and fished it out... is it better to cut up firmer foods like apples and pears and leave whole softer foods like avocado, banana, etc?
#555 of 581 Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM

I use a high chair with a large tray that has a lip. He usually doesn't knock much off. When he isn't hungry anymore and is bored he will drop stuff off for fun.

When DS hadn't yet mastered the pincer grasp, I gave him firm things in sticks or wedges too big to get into his throat. He mostly licked and gummed them, getting off juices and miniscule amounts. Then, when he started getting a pincer grasp, I diced things up to about the size of a raisin, and he would just chew on them a while and then swallow them. (btw, he still has no teeth)

When he had sticks and wedges, occasionally he would break off a piece that seemed chokable, and I would just take that piece away and let him resume with the larger pieces.

As for how much, I try to give him several choices in a variety of food groups. If he seems to be focusing on one food more than the others, I assume he has an instinct telling him to pursue a particular nutrient, and I give him more of that, but slowly, to encourage him to work on the other stuff a little. Usually at some point he will decide he is done and fuss to get out of the high chair So, I don't really give him any set quantity. Some days he wants almost no solids, and some days he eats a huge amount.

#556 of 581 Old 06-29-2008, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD is 7 months old, and we started BLW a couple weeks ago. She looks so happy every time we let her taste/eat our foods! Most of what we give her she enjoys playing with, tasting, and spitting out, but once in a while she gets gung ho about something and swallows a fair amount.

My question is, so far there are entire "types" of foods we've been avoiding giving her: dairy, eggs, citrus, tomato, etc. I'm not sure if there's any good reason to be avoiding any of these, or if I just have these messages in my head from the old-style puree-feeding approach. No food allergies in the family except DP is allergic to shiitake mushrooms, and some dairy tends to give me gas.

So, did the rest of you hold off on allowing you LOs to try those foods? Or if you were eating it, you let him/her have some?
#557 of 581 Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM

I held back on some things a little while. But at almost 11 months we are letting him have almost anything he wants. We still haven't given him any red berries, seafood, or things with peanuts.

We have no food allergies in the family either.

#558 of 581 Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 AM

:

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#559 of 581 Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM

I have a friend who is very interested in this whole process, what are some good links I could give her to better explain it?
#560 of 581 Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Amanda,
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

#561 of 581 Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 PM

So we're not doing strict self-feeding, but apparently much more than others with children our age. He often doesn't seem to eat much, gets distracted and wants out of the high chair when we self-feed him at home. We've tried eating at the coffee table, but that doesn't offer much more success either. He's certainly not starving by any means and is still near the 75% for weight.

Last night however, we were at a friends house later than expected and they offered for us to stay for dinner. So they made a double of what their son was having which was rice cereal (which our son has never eaten from a box) and jarred food - mixed veggies and peaches with granola. All a pasty mix with no texture - yuck. But DS loved it and ate it all up and then some. :-( I couldn't spoon it in fast enough.

Just needing some support to say that I'm doing the right thing and not starving my LO by offering him whole foods on his tray that he can feed to himself. :
#562 of 581 Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM

I think that if your LO was hungry, you'd know. At least, that is the case with my DD. If she is unhappy (hungry, tried, frustrated), she lets me know. And, if he's at the 75% in weight, it sounds like he's getting enough to eat. That said, the sweetness of the food you gave him the other night and the fact that you were supplying it so easily might have lead to his stronger interest. Granola is pretty sweet, and some jarred foods do have preservatives, etc. that might make them yummier than whole foods (kind of like how potato chips are more addictive than slices of real potatoes).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you should trust your own instincts and trust that your child will let you know if he isn't happy. That is really all we can do anyway.
#563 of 581 Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Sub and bump!

I'm about to start letting DD self-feed, and looking for tips and support! Happy feeding!
#564 of 581 Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 AM

Sub and bump as well. We've been doing BLW for a couple of weeks. She has had lots of different fruits and veggies as well and rice pasta and egg yolk. How long after starting do you let them eat mixed up things like the rest of the family eats? I made vegan pancakes and I was thinking of giving her some. I am sorry I haven't read the whole thread - perhaps my question is answered somewhere in there.

Kelly
#565 of 581 Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 AM

Subbing...

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#566 of 581 Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Banned

I'll join this thread! DD is 6 months old, and we are starting BLW now. I'm really keen on it, but do have some worries.

DD has had weight issues (slow weight gain, and we're supplementing with donated breastmilk in an SNS). Therefore our Well Baby providers (Plunket) have been pushing for an early start on solids. I wanted to wait at least until 6 months, as that is what Plunket and Ministry of Health generally recommends anyway. Our Plunket people are a bit concerned that BLW will mean DD is actually eating less solids, again a weight worry. Also, they want all babies to have a lot of solids from 6 months, due to the iron. Several of my friends have been in trouble for that. Our Plunket people are really nice, and have supported me while I fought for breastfeeding, so I don't really want to argue with them.

A bigger issue, however, is that we are getting less donated breastmilk (a friend's child is weaning, so we will soon be down to one donor. Solids would of course be useful to replace that, although we are using less donated breastmilk now than we used to.

I am also worried about choking, with any sort of solids, I guess.
#567 of 581 Old 09-01-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca'smum View Post
How long after starting do you let them eat mixed up things like the rest of the family eats? I made vegan pancakes and I was thinking of giving her some.
We waited a few months, until our babe had already tried most of the foods individually that would be in the the combinations. But with something like pancakes or bread it's a bit harder, since you're not going to try flour, then baking soda, etc. individually. We just tryed to give him the most stripped down recipes first, then build from there. So like once we knew he could tolerate pancakes (vegan here too, very basic recipe), he could probably tolerate muffins with similar ingredients. A few months in, we started giving him what we ate even with combo ingredients he'd not had before, figuring we had weeded out most potential problem foods. We still waited a bit on a few things, like peanut butter. We went mostly according to the chart at http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...ma/engels.html.

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
#568 of 581 Old 09-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Do you give your breast fed baby water when they are eating solids? My DS is 7 mons old and we just started to slowly introduce solids last week baby-led style any way this week I gave him a sippy cup with some water in it and as he wanted my cup. Is this ok, he has no problems gaining weight (he is 25 lbs 10 oz on just BM) and I have no problem with supply. I only give him the cup when we are sitting eating at the table, otherwise I offer him the breast and he only takes a very small amount.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#569 of 581 Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM

Yeah, you are supposed to offer the option of water when you offer solids. DS usually doesn't want to drink water when I am giving him solids (he likes to nurse shortly after) but he drinks it when he is at MIL's house and she gives him solids.

#570 of 581 Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm so excited for some silly reason about the whole solids thing. But we're only at five months so I've got a month or two to go yet. I'm just reading and learning at this stage so I'm all prepared. Can someone tell me what BLW is, I think I have it sorted. Is it feeding solids when they're showing readiness, and feeding whole foods not purees? Cos I'm hoping to do that. What else is BLW? Any good sites? I've got one, this one:

http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/b...odBasicsMonth1

She is a good writer, amusing.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page